“Best Price and Hotel for the money and don't forget the cookies!”

theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #36 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas, Texas
“Best Price and Hotel for the money and don't forget the cookies!”
Reviewed September 17, 2009

My wife and our youngest daughter who is 20, stay at this hotel for 4 nights. I discovered the hotel from researching on Tripadvisor. I would not stay in any other hotel if I ever come back to Chicago. It is extremely convenient to the train (one block away), the lake, and the Art Institute of Chicago, along with so many other attractions. I'm a lifetime Advantage Gold card member, so I've traveled quite a bit and this hotel rates as one of my favorites. If you are arriving at OHare, take the train (about $5) and don't take a cab (about $45). The train stop for this hotel is only about one long block away from the hotel. One of many Garrett's Popcorn stores is near by. The club at the top of the hotel, called "The Roof" is mainly for singles. For our family, it was a nice place to look at but it was best left for the young singles. The staff is wonderfull and so gracious their guests. You will notice the birds chirping in the hallways during the day and the quiet sounds of crickets at night. These sounds are piped in through the speakers located in the hall. Don't worry, the sounds are not loud enough to be heard in your gorgeous room. I don't think any room has a bad view. Our's had a view of Lake Michigan.

The Magnificant Mile is a couple of blocks away. The Chicago Bean is only a few blocks away.

The hotel opened a couple of months before our stay. I don't believe you will be disappointed with your stay.

And one more thing, yes, this is a Doubletree so those fresh moist and warm chocolate cookies are waiting for you.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Volleyball4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 16, 2009

Hotel was very nice. Big rooms especially for Chicago. The staff was very curteous and professional. Bed was comfortable, great location. The Restaurant downstairs State and Lake had wonderful food for breakfast.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Phoenix
Reviewed September 15, 2009

Family traveled for family event. We stayed for 6 days. Had a terrific time. The staff was the best. Especially concierge services Mike, Onni, James Housekeeping Martha I. & Khrystina. They were the most helpful of all. They tried to accommodate us with request that we made very readily. Everyone on staff was so very helpful and tried to make our stay as pleasant as possible. We shall return. Chicago was a fun time for all of us. Thanks for making our trip such a success.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed September 14, 2009

I am an over 50 female business traveler and when I first walked in I was not sure I would like this place but that first impression vanished as soon as I got to my room. The room was spacious and had every amenity you could want including a dining table, fridge,nice desk, large TV, large bathroom, telephones ideal for conference calls. One of my biggest surprises was the best hotel room service meal I have had in a very, very long time. The hotel is steps from the Chicago Theater so you can enjoy a show if you have the time.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
North Carolina
Reviewed September 12, 2009

First visit to Chicago, flying solo. It'"s amazing the different experiences with the customer service. From the moment I was walked into the doors, everyone was on point with services. Checking my bags and polite check-in. Able to get into my room before 4pm with no hassle.. The restaurant on the first floor had great food and service. The hotel's location is a shopping woman's dream come true. Transportation convenient for touring. The roof top bar/lounge is nice but is congested on the w/e as many reviewers have already mentioned. I definitely would stay at the Wit again !! Oops my room was on the same side as the L- no problem sleeping.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank TravelerSC_9
Chicago
Reviewed September 7, 2009

Wow, what a beautiful hotel!!! The Wit Hotel in Chicago impressed me from the minute I stepped foot in the lobby. First of all, when you walk you are welcomed with smiles from the staff and a sweet aroma of coconut. It was mine and my husband's wedding anniversary and for kicks, we asked if it were possible for us to get an upgrade on our room; and without hesitation the front desk checked their books but unfortunately, there weren't any rooms available. While we were out the the staff surprised us with champagne and chocolate covered strawberries with a note congratulating us on our anniversary and a sorry for not being able to upgrade us. How sweet of them!!!

Every floor is decorated nicely with modern, luxurious, touches. Our room was very clean and I loved the decor from the bathroom sink to the coffee table. I could live there.

The 27th floor restaurant/lounge, Roof, was a great experience. Definitely a place to impress guests; and I cannot wait to go back.

The Wit made a memorable anniversary, Thanks.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Saint Charles, Illinois
Reviewed September 7, 2009

The new construction is great - nice to stay in an all new place. The decor is contemporary and fun. Location is fabulous - we could walk to everything we wanted to do. Service, on the other hand... they don't quite have it figured out. Waited 30 minutes to check in, which wasn't the end of the world, but the lobby was hot in afternoon sun. I asked the concierge if he could find out what time the will call office at Navy Pier opened. He said "I don't know, but you could call them." Ahhh... self service concierge concept! We ordered room service breakfast both mornings. Both mornings the order was incorrect, and on the 2nd day there was a dime size piece of hard plastic in the wrong yogurt. First night, after an evening walk, I stopped in the lobby bar and asked for a glass of Chardonnay. Was told no... that I had to order it from room service. Unusual for a Hilton... So I called room service. Was told to get a bottle of wine out of the service bar. Said I wanted a glass, not a bottle. Was told it would be the same price, and that would be a better way to go. So, tired and a littel irritated, I said okay. There was no Chardonnay in service bar... so settled for something else. An NO corkscrew. So I called room service again. They said they would send someone up right away with a corkscrew. So I asked if whomever they were sending could also bring a glass of Chardonnay?? Was told no. Overall, the place was beautiful, but staff needs training.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends