“New rooms, great staff, awesome location”

theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #35 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 1, 2009

This hotel is brand new with top amenities in the guestrooms. Roofdeck bar is great for happy hour / pre-dinner drinks. Located near the Mag Mile. Staff was extremely friendly. There isn't much of a reception area, lobby is tiny.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 31, 2009

My wife and I stayed here whle we were celebrating our anniversary. We had an absolutely fantastic experience, and we would recommend theWit to anyone. We will certainly be back ourselves.

The hotel is in a great spot. It is within walking distance of Millenium Park and Michigan Ave. shopping. Navy Pier, the John Hancock building and the Sears (excuse me, Willis) Tower are all within a 15 or 20 minute walk. There are lots of nearby restaurants, from fast food to elegant dining. It is also within a block or two of an L stop, so public transportation around town or to the airports is an easy option.

The customer service was fantastic. The front desk staff was great. I mentioned at check in that we were celebrating our anniversary. They gave us a room with a nice view. About 20 minutes after we got in to our room, there was a knock on the door. They had sent up a complimentary bottle of champagne for our celebration. That was a nice, expected surprise. We didn't need to use the concierge because we live in the suburbs and I work in Chicago, so we knew the types of things that were available and what we wanted to do. That, several times when we left the hotel, there were no customers at the concierge desk. Every time that happened, concierge asked whether there was anything he could do to help us. There was a doorman on the inside of the front door who was able to help start the revolving door, particularly for patrons with luggage. The doorman outside were constantly asking if we needed a cab or directions. Everyone we encountered provided excellent customer service.

The room wasn't huge, but it was bigger than I thought it might be. In addition to the king bed, there was a couch, a large flatscreen tv, a cabinet that provided space to hang clothes and had 3 drawers. The wall unit that had the tv also extended into a desk area. It wasn't huge, but it certainly was big enough for a laptop and a work space. Even with the furniture, there was plenty of walking space, and it didn't feel cramped.

On top of the nice rooms and the outstanding customer service, theWit is a good value. It is relatively inexpensive for a hotel in the area. Our stay was excellent, and we will certainly return.

There are a few things that I would say to keep in mind. At 27 stories, it is not the tallest building around. As a result, the views are somewhat limited. If you are looking for a hotel with stunning views of Lake Michigan or the Chicago Skyline, theWit is probably not the place for you. Additionally, the L tracks run along the south side of the building. While the first 5 floors are lobby, restaurants, conference rooms, the fitness center, etc., I am sure that there are at least some rooms on the south side of the lower floors (say 6-10) that have some noise issues from the L. You should be able to avoid that simply by asking for a higher room or one that faces a different direction. There has also been some discussion about the Roof, the hotel bar. As I write this is Aug. 09, Roof is currently one of the trendy bars on the Chicago singles scene. It is a place to see and be seen, and many of the customers come dressed in their club clothes. Additionally, visiting professional athletes and celebrities have been spotted there. The line to get in can be long, although hotel guests get a VIP card that allows them to bypass the line. The line also uses a side door rather than the main hotel entrance. Where there is a line to get in, you will need to show your room key to get to the elevators, because it is the same elevators that access the room floors and Roof. Which bar is currently trendy is something that can change quickly, so who knows how long this situation will last. It wasn't a problem for my wife and I, but I can understand why it might be for some people.

To me, the potential problems I mentioned here were not an issue, but are things I think people should be able to take into consideration when deciding where to stay. With these things in mind, and assuming that none of these are deal breakers for you, I give the Wit my highest possible recommendation.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Normally when I travel, I stay at very nice, 5 star hotels. I was considering The Pen, The Drake, The Four Seasons etc...but when I stumbled upon The Wit, it just sounded so fun and different from anywhere I have stayed -- so I decided to "go out on a limb" and give it a try. And I have to say also, I was skeptical b/c of some of the mixed reviews this hotel has received but I am so glad that I decided to stay here.

From the moment I stepped out of my car, the staff was courteous and very friendly -- opening doors, taking all of my luggage, and offering to do anything I needed. I never had to open a door myself. The reception staff were both friendly, knowledgeable and polite. The free cookies are awesome!! And I love the "cookie raincheck" when they were out!

My room was on the 16th floor and it was a corner suite. It had the most amazing views probably of anywhere I have stayed and everything was very well appointed, mod, and fun. I loved all the glass in the room and bathroom. The sink was not a problem at all -- it was really neat. There was no problem with water pressure at all. My room was incredibly neat and clean. Not much noise from the train -- very comfortable beds and pillows -- nice lighting and other techie touches.

As for the hotel itself, the location is wonderful -- close to everything. The inside of the hotel is modern with an amazing energetic vibe. The lobby is funky and fun with the unusual glass chandaliers and mod decor. There were all ages staying at the hotel: not just 20 somethings as some reviews have suggested. I did not get a chance to eat at the hotel restaurants but they looked very clean and neat and lots of people were eating there. The Rooftop bar is amazing with unparallelled amazing views. When you stay at the hotel, you have full access to the bar with no waiting and I had a blast partying up there until it closed!! Definitely a place to see and be seen and no one was rude -- everyone was very friendly, down to earth and fun. Just a great atmosphere.

I would definitely recommend staying at The Wit. I really can't say anything bad about my stay; it was wonderful.

And I wouldn't pay any attention to those few bad reviews out there.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 26, 2009

The Wit is a hip, chic, and affortable hotel right in the heart of Chicago! I traveled from Houston Texas to meet girlfriends for a 40th birthday weekend in Chi town! The hotel was in a great location and the L is right across the street (saved on cab fare from airport). The hotel is brand new with a modern flare. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite on the 26th floor. The suite was big and spacious! The staff was professional there were a couple bumps in the road( 1st suite they gave us was a room for disabled guest), but they changed our room. Had an issue with one of the bartenders at the night club the ROOF, but GM solved that problem promptly with free drinks. If you are looking to party and not want to leave your hotel the ROOF is it. It has a nice atomsphere for happy hour and night light. If you are not a guest in the hotel there is a long line to get in but worth it. Overall very nice hotel and the staff equally matches. Would like to see more diversity within the hotel staff but all in all would come back and stay again!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 19, 2009

My friends & I drove 2.5 hrs. to Chicago to celebrate one of my friend's birthday. The Wit is in a great location & looks fabulous on the outside & inside. We decided to have dinner at State & Lake on the 1st floor of the hotel. There was a wait so the GM served us drinks until our table was ready. It took longer than they said to get a table & our waitress was not very friendly. We were very unhappy w/ the waitress' service so we spoke to the GM a/b it. He seemed clueless as to what was going on & asked, "What do you want me to do?" We tried to explain to him & he had no idea what to do. Therefore, we paid our bills & left. He could have at least comped something??? I'm not one to complain or try to get free food but this was awful service! The food was good but for me, if there's not good service it's not worth it. The following morning I called the concierge to find out if there was a vending machine on the floor where we were staying. There is no vending machine in the entire hotel except for the employee break room. He offered to get drinks for us there & to bring them up in 10 min. He never came and we got a call from a woman. She said the vending machine was broken & suggested we go the 7-11 gas station. Wow, thanks! I did not appreciate the service at all. Yes, it is in a great location & it's beautiful, but the Wit needs to work on their guest services. I will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kallen_81
Reviewed August 14, 2009

I read some recent reviews about this hotel that seemed a bit confusing to me, so I decided to post a review of my own. Hope you all find it useful.

My husband and I stayed here August 7 through 10, while we were in Chicago to meet our brand new baby niece. The hotel is incredibly easy to access via the el. If you're flying into midway, it's especially easy b/c the orange line runs all the way out!

Check-in was a breeze and the ladies behind the desk were very polite and friendly, and I absolutely did not find them 'shallow' as the other poster did (how does one determine that a hotel staff member is shallow anyway, are you having deep conversation?). They even endured my constant babbling about going to visit my new niece with patience!!! Anyway, I was pleased with the process and headed up to my room on the 21st floor with cookie in hand (by the way, prior to opening the sheers in your room to check out the view, wash the chocolate off your hands! I hear they are having a problem with that!)

The room was very nice and modern, with a decent 'partial lake view'. We had a handicapped room so the shower was a bit difficult to manage, but those are building regulations so there's nothing the Wit could do to change that. The room had a kitchenette that we didnt' use, but I liked that we had an option. The room is truly a techie's dream, but we didn't make use of the wireless b/c of the extra cost (and we were on holiday, not spending much time in the room!). Bed was very comfortable.

The lounge (ROOF) on the 27th floor has probably gotten a little 'bigger' than the hotel planned for, so the atmosphere at night is a bit strange. The crowd at Roof is very young and very 'single and ready to mingle'. They are dressed to the nines! We checked it out one night but we found that it wasn't what we were looking for (not looking to hook up as we are, in fact, married!) so we went to the lobby bar which we found to be very nice with friendly bartenders and wait staff. $12 cocktail, but then this is Chicago!

While the 'Roof' crowd wasn't what we were looking for, nothing about being in the lobby or riding the elevator with the roof patrons made me feel incredibly uncomfortable, and honestly I can't imagine why it would? I didn't find anyone to be pretentious or snobby, I simply enjoyed conversing with different people and people watching. The staff never made me feel like a second class citizen, in fact it was quite the opposite, i sensed they were happy to assist my husband and I in whatever we needed, even if it was just pointing us in the direction of the lake!

Overall a great stay! I'd definitely return (and next time, guess what? I'll still be over 30!!!!)

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank worldtravellerinTX
Reviewed August 11, 2009

On our first trip to Chicago, we couldn't have gotten luckier! We got a great deal amazingly enough through Priceline. We got to the hotel and were pleasently suprised. Not only is it beautiful and super trendy, it is close to everything! We flew into Midway, took the L and got right off, and our hotel was right there! Everyone was very welcoming. We checked in and found our room to be awesome! Really trendy and quite large. we were facing the front next to the L and never heard a thing, and we were only 6 floors up. It was slightly annoying to show our card every night because of the Roof, but it really did eliminate the crowdedness in the hotel. Plus the staff was really nice about it. Li, the concierge, was the best. He was so helpful and had great suggestions. He saved us tons of time at the Sears Tower, ask him how! The Wit would do well to give him a raise so tthat he would never be tempted to leave! He even gave us his cell phone number in case we had any questions!!! We have never had that happen before. I also got up every morning half awake and the doormen always pushed the door open for me and pointed me in the right direction. They even helped us with tickets when the concierge staff wasn't available. We felt really taken care of and would absolutely stay there again!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business