“Excellent Hotel, Worth the Price”

theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #36 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Glen Head, New York
“Excellent Hotel, Worth the Price”
Reviewed May 22, 2014

I used to live in Chicago and would walk past the Wit every day as I was going to work. I always wanted to stay here having seeing it on a daily basis and having gone to dine at State and Lake Tavern and the Rooftop Bar. This hotel is absolutely excellent and it confirmed everything I thought about it in my experience there.

This hotel is centrally located in the loop next to Chicago's largest El Train station @ State and Lake Streets. This hotel offers spa service, a workout facility, meeting rooms and a pool in addition to the AAA grade guest rooms they have compared to other hotels owned under Hilton. The Architecture of the Hotel is amazing with an excellent angled glass facade giving it a distinct view that one will instantly recognize. There was never a dull moment at this hotel, on a monday night, it's roof top bar was packed up till 1:00 AM. The customer service here is top rate-there was no confusion in my check-in, everything was prepared according to plan, and the staff was amongst the most courteous and professional I have came across at any hotel. This hotel is very secure too, one can only access the guest floors through a card security system on the elevator. This hotel cost about $300 for the night after taxes, that may seem expensive but it is a very comparable price to all the other high quality hotels in Downtown Chicago.

Not having been in every major hotel in Chicago, I can't say for sure that this is the top hotel in the city of Chicago but as of right now amongst the hotels I've personally stayed in it is definitely the top hotel in Chicago on my personal list. I intend to explore other great hotels here in this city and my prediction is the Wit will probably remain in the top 3 hotels in Chicago that I have visited, if not, it will most likely remain in the top 5 hotels in Chicago that I have visited, and if not in the top 5, I am almost certain it will remain in the top 10 hotels in Chicago I have stayed in. The Wit set my trip back to Chicago off in the right fashion, an excellent first night there in my trip to town for the Yankees-Cubs at Wrigley made everything else on this trip even better and I truly believe staying in The Wit was what set it off in the right manner.

Room Tip: Book well in advance as this hotel fills up months in advance. The rooms on the State Street Side of...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
GeneralManager201, Guest Relations Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Conrad886, Thank you for taking the time to provide this fantastic review of theWit Hotel Chicago. It is our staff that has helped us to be named as a Conde Nast “Best Hotel in the World” (2013) and we are very proud of them all. They will be elated to hear your kind words. We are delighted that our great location and accommodations helped create the perfect Chicago experience. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon to theWit! Warm Regards, theWit Guest Relations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 20, 2014

I booked theWit for a meeting and had a fabulous experience.
Location: Perfect location. Close to all that Chicago has to offer.
Service: The hotel staff is very attentive and proactive with guest needs. I interacted with staff from the front desk, concierge, banquets, room service, State & Lake restaurant, etc. and found all of them to be extremely accommodating. Made my experience one to remember.
Guest room: Loved my hotel room. The room was very nicely appointed and very comfy. Wifi worked well. Beautiful view from my room on the 20th floor. I love the little touches - the crickets and birds sounds in the guest room hallways, etc.
I am booking the hotel for another meeting in Oct! Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
GeneralManager201, Guest Relations Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear Kristik77, Thank you for reviewing theWit Hotel Chicago. We are thrilled to see that you were able to enjoy our great location which is perfect for any weekend getaway. Our staff works very hard to accommodate all guests in order to provide our great unique Wit experience. In addition, thank you for your kind words regarding our staff and guest rooms. We aim to provide the most relaxing experience possible in the center of the Chicago Loop. We hope to see you soon! Sincerely, theWit Guest Relations.
boston,ma
Reviewed May 20, 2014

The location of the hotel is very centrally located, immediately next to the El ln the loop so you can readily hop on any train to get any where. However, I could not hear any of the trains although my room was on the same side (good sound proofing) Numerous tourist attractions are very close by, plenty of shopping and restaurants. The rooms are clean and well kept, bed very comfortable. Staff are very friendly and helpful. We also enjoyed their enormous rooftop bar, although crowded the service was friendly and efficient.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear linglingma, We would like to thank you for providing this wonderful review of theWit Hotel Chicago. We are excited to hear that you were able to thoroughly enjoy all that theWit has to offer. We try to make theWit experience truly one of a kind. Once again, thank you your kind words and we hope to see you soon at theWit. Kind Regards, theWit Guest Relations.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We were so pleased with our stay at the Wit. It's perfectly located on the loop, right in the heart of downtown Chicago. Our rooms were clean and well equipped, the amenities were nice, and the staff was prompt and courteous. I never waited more than a second to find someone to assist me at the front desk. They have a soundtrack of nature noises that changes throughout the time of day. Different, but it adds to the charm of this great hotel. We cannot wait to come back and stay at the Wit again! Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear JarrodBCecil, Thank you for choosing theWit Hotel Chicago and for taking the time to recommend your experience to other travelers. We are thrilled to read your positive feedback of our hotel as well as your kind recognition of our team's efforts to ensure the best Wit experience. We cannot wait to welcome you back soon to theWit! Warm Regards, theWit Guest Relations.
Clifton, New Jersey
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Great first impression Chicago! Awesome hotel. Newly renovated, clean, modern and comfortable. Friendly, helpful staff. Front desk helped me with my WiFi access.
The room was spacious, bathroom modern, bed was truely comfortable. The best DoubleTree I've stayed in!

Room Tip: My room facing State St. had a decent view; the most southern positioned rooms have the best view as...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
GeneralManager201, Guest Relations Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Warriors07, We are thrilled to hear your kind words and we thank you for sharing this wonderful review of theWit Hotel Chicago. We are delighted that we were able to provide a great 1st impression of our wonderful City with all it has to offer. From our spacious guest rooms to the wonderful views and prime location, we are a great starting point for anybody looking to experience Chicago for the first time. We hope to see you again soon at theWit. Warm Regards, theWit Guest Relations.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

The best feature is the location to central downtown, riverview, and the Chicago theater... Stayed here for my Birthday weekend... The fact that The Wit was next door to the Chicago theater was soo convenient... The condition of the upholstery wasn't upkept... The sink in the kitchenette needed rinsing badly... On a good note, the room was big ( luxery spa suite) with plenty of storage space... Service was decent... My buger from Lake and State was pretty good... Definately a younger crowd at The Wit...

• Stayed May 2014
GeneralManager201, Guest Relations Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, October 9, 2014
Dear heidi1happy,

Thank you for your recent review of theWit Hotel!

We are delighted that you chose our hotel to celebrate your birthday. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed our Luxury Suite while visiting and that our team made a positive impression on you. we look forward to seeing you back at theWit on your next night on the town. Have a fantastic day!

theWit Guest Relations Team
maumee, United States
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I surprised my girlfriend buy getting a room here when we were passing through Chicago. She had never been so I wanted a decent view. I was so impressed with this hotel. The view, while it wasn't of the whole city was still great. Not only did we get the feel for the city for our room but we could see the lake as well. We walked to Millennium Park, Navy Pier, and Mich Ave.. The staff was outstanding. I could go on and on, but to sum things up: Pros: Caring and helpful staff. Great location. Decent views. Great price compared to comparable rooms elsewhere. Clean and nice rooms. Lots of bonuses. Comfy bed, nice bathroom with separate shower and soaking tub. Floor to ceiling windows, even in the bathroom. Nicely kept and modern rooms. In-building restaurant with ground floor and roof top options and in-building spa. Cons: Thought the tub would be a Jacuzzi tub. The welcome letter in my room was left from the last guest. Window cleaning took place at 8:30am, which I was not aware of. They usually leave a note, but they had forgotten to, thank goodness I woke up to close all the blinds when they were doing the floor above us. Even more pros: they more than made up for the window cleaning issue. Apologizing and offering vouchers to the restaurant, which to my surprise was very reasonably price. I would definitely stay here again, and I intend to, as well as recommending it to other friends, families, and travelers.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Brittney J, Thank you for taking a moment to share your review of theWit Hotel Chicago. We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us despite some small setbacks. Our staff will be proud to learn of the great service provided. We do apologize once again if you were not aware of the scheduled window washers. We try our hardest to make sure every guest is aware of their presence when they are going to be working. We hope you enjoyed the great breakfast provided in State & Lake Chicago Tavern. We cannot wait to be able to welcome you back so that you may get to experience all that theWit and Chicago has to offer. Kind Regards, theWit Guest Relations.