“Great stay in the heart of Chicago”

theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #35 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Great stay in the heart of Chicago”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed at The Wit while in town for a conference. Very hip and trendy hotel that was perfect for my needs. What I really needed, though, was an early check-in as my meetings started around noon and I was landing at O'Hare just after 9 AM from the east coast. Needless to say I was going to be tired and needing to refresh before my day and night of meetings, etc. Front desk wasnt able to promise anything until my day of arrival, but when I called early that morning I was told that I could guarantee a room upon my arrival if I "downgraded" from a king-bed to 2-queens. That was fine, so I took them up on the offer and everything was great from there.

Had 2 meals in the hotel and all of the food was delicious. Echo others sentiments about the ROOF bar being cool and had no issues of my own w/the elevators, so I cannot speak to that.

Would recommend.

Room Tip: My room was on the 14th floor and had no issues w/noise from any sides (top/bottom/neighbors/hall) o...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I really enjoyed staying at this hotel. The location is ideal, the brown, purple, and pink subway stations are literally out the front door, and only 2 blocks away from the blue line (which you can take to/from O'Hare).

The staff, Danielle, Joel, and others were very friendly, helpful, gave great restaurant recommendations, and greeted us everytime we walked through the door.

We had a great time in Chicago, IL and being at this location helped us experience Chicago very easily.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I visited Chicago this weekend and stayed at theWit...it was fabulous! I used a pretty big chunk of my Hilton points but have to say it was well worth it.The Staff was awesome from the time I arrived and that continued throughout my stay. The corner King Spa room on the 14th floor overlooking the Chicago Theater to the left and a canal with expensive yacht's to the right...not to mention the great view of the Architecture all around was beautiful especially at night.

The bed was comfortable and the amentities in the bathroom were very functional. I loved having a huge tub and walk-in shower. Had the Spa turn my bathtub into a little oasis...they brought a variety of pack of Eucalypts oil, bath salts and body moisturizer that was nice. This was a little on the pricey side (about $35 + tip) for the amount of products that were given but it was an experience...wouldn't necessarily order this all of the time but enjoyed the serenity.

The Staff was knowledgable about the area and gave some good recommendations and directions on how to get there. The Concierge even helped me buy tickets to a live comedy show (Cedric the Entertainer & Friends at the Arie Theater). The Rooftop Bar was nice and the drinks were really reasonable however the techno house music really isn't my thing. The bar/club had that Vegas feel and would have probably been more enjoyable for me if I was with a group or significant other...but I was a table for 1 this weekend! It appeared to have some interesting menu items too for a club. The decor and ambience was nice!

I eat at the restaurant twice it was pleasant. Can't say it was the best meal of my life but overall pretty tasty! Elle was awesome!

So anyway, definitely two thumbs up to theWit! The location is great...I walked pretty much everywhere and when I did have to take a taxi, it was always within $10-15 each way.

S/O to a few people:
Jonah - Bell Hop
Elle - State Lake resturant
Kyle - Front Desk
Christopher or Christian - Valet

Thanks for an wonderful weekend!

Room Tip: Corner rooms/suites have the best views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We started off by taking the Blue Line from the airport that took us right to Clark/Lake stop which was minutes from the hotel. From the minute we walked into the Lobby, it felt super cool & modern! We received the warm chocolate chip cookie. Check in was very welcoming. They gave us a top floor room and Warned us about the roof top club that closes at 2AM. They said the noise would be minimal....boy were they wrong! We heard the pounding bass noise till 2AM. It was kinda hard to sleep but we only had one more night to go and it wasn't worth moving rooms.

The next night we decided to see what all the commotion was upstairs. Because we were hotel guests we got right up there. Others were waiting in line. Pretty young crowd. The club was really cool with awesome views. There's an area to step outside (away from the annoying noise). We saw...and we left.

The room was really nice. We had a small kitchen area, dining table for four and a living room area. Comfy and nice flat screen TV, awesome views! The bedroom was roomy and the bathroom was really big. The bathtub was big and the separate shower was big with good water pressure! The bed was very comfortable.

The hotel is in a great location. We did nighttime walks by the river and down the Magnificent Mile. Shopping is really good around the hotel....Macy's, Nordstroms Rack, more reasonable stores.

We really enjoyed this hotel and would highly recommend it to others. We also received Hilton Honors points.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 26th floor, it's under the Club
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager201, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear MoinCarlsbad,

I appreciate you taking the time to comment on our hotel. It sounds like you had a good time during your visit to Chicago. We hear all the time about the convenient location and access to the transportation system, and enjoy hearing that people use the trains to access the airports.

I am also pleased to learn that you enjoyed being up on ROOF, and completely understand your comments related to the commotion. ROOF is rated the #3 rooftop bar in the world and at times can be extremely busy. In the future, please let us know if you are being disturbed and we will act accordingly.

Once again, I am glad that you enjoyed your experience and hope you will come back and visit us soon.

Ryan Kingston
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Generally speaking we enjoyed our stay at theWit hotel but there seemed to be some lapses in service which I would have not expected at the price we paid (close to $300 a night with taxes!) We of course enjoyed the chocolate chip cookies and I got a kick out of the chirping birds in the hallway. The location can't be beat. Our room was perfectly comfortable. Although the security in the elevators was annoying, I understood the need and appreciated it, given the club upstairs--I would not have wanted some drunken club-goer stumbling into my hallway at night.

But--the door to the bathroom was ridiculous--it took two hands and a lot of strength to slide it open and I can only imagine an elderly person trying to do it--no way! Although we usually don't care about such things, I felt at this price point I should have received turn-down service in the evening; and even at lesser hotels I've had a robe and slippers--not here. It also was a bit off-putting that even MOVING an item in the minibar would result in a charge! Finally, no free wifi; in this day and age that is unacceptable. I am a Hilton Honors member (only Blue, I'm afraid) but that was enough to give me free wifi in a Hilton Garden Inn in New Orleans--why not here?

Granted these were minor things, and I would actually not hesitate to stay here again--but I just think for this price we could have received a higher standard of service.

Dear jczinn,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel. We truly appreciate your business and your feedback is important to us. I am pleased to learn that you understand and appreciate the safety features in place at the property. We will research the issue you noted regarding the bathroom door being difficult to handle, it may need some adjustment.

In regard to your comments regarding the mini-bar system, it is designed to electronically post to your account, so we do not need to bother you during your stay. We do offer complimentary WIFI in the public spaces throughout the hotel. This system is so robust, you can stream video with your friends without a bump in service. In the guestroom, we offer 3 different packages at different price points. Each one is related to how fast and how much content suits your needs. The system at theWit is so advanced, we find that guests appreciate the service and quality that is associated with their application.

Overall, I am glad that you enjoyed your experience and hope you will come back and visit us soon.

Ryan Kingston
Libertyville
Reviewed October 20, 2013

What a wonderful adventure. I've lived in Chicago almost 50 years and never stayed downtown. I got married 10-05-13 and theWit was our choice for a long weekend. The staff was great, from the folks who hailed a cab to the front desk to the bartenders and wait staff. When you arrive in the evening the light chirp of crickets guide you to your room, and in the morning, the soft song of birds fill the hallway. We had a corner room on the 18th food, what a view! The room was super clean and to me that's pretty much the most important. I will stay here again, the employees were friendly, the food and drinks were very good, the hotel was charming and in a great downtown location, the rooms were clean and very quiet. Thanks for the lovely memory of my honeymoon and my first stay in downtown Chicago. FYI, service, value and sleep quality were very good only because we arrived late and of all the places that must have been close to eat, the guy at the front desk recommended a place which wasn't good, for me personally it was a bit pricey and again, for me personally, the pillows were a bit hard, or maybe too thick?

Room Tip: Go high, the views are awesome. The corner room was all windows, sweet.
Jackson, NJ, United States
Reviewed October 17, 2013

From the moment we arrived to a fresh warm chocolate chip cookie to our departure the experience was 4 and 1/2 stars. The restaurant 'State & Lake' was superb. We ate breakfast there and then came back for lunch. Not to be missed. The lounge and club 'The Roof' gorgeous. Now to the room experience: Best bed..best pillows. Only negative...the bathroom has a sliding door which is very difficult to close from the inside. Poorly designed if one has no muscles. I spent my birthday weekend with my daughters at theWit and would do it again in a hearbeat.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family