“It had everything but staff”

theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #37 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I booked 2 rooms for a weekend get away for myself and the wife's sister to come up. We had our bags delievered to the hotel by american airlines baggage service which was delievered within 2 hours as promised. We checked in they advised us the bag was in the room, I confirmed with her the front desk that with both rooms being checked in I was getting the correct room with my diamond membership benefits. She advised me everything was correct. She was wrong, she checked us in to the wrong room and gave the benefits to our other guest, the bags were not in the room, which took another phone call to have them advise oh yeah there with the bell hop. After we repeatedly went over it with them, we were made to be the stupid party. My wife's sister enjoyed the daily chocolates, welcome gift and daily water replacement. My wife had a guest show up to the hotel, the hotel was nice enough to charge me a $28 parking fee for a visitor that we had no intensions of paying for them to visit.
At night the 27th floor is a night club with an entrance fee, so the elevators are full of people trying to get to the top floor an not pay the entrance fee. I witnessed multiple people trying to use hotel guest key cards to get to the top floor.
The location of the hotel is good, but there are better Hilton offerings in the area that do not have the staff issues this location does have. I doubt we would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
TadStricker, Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

I'm so sorry to hear that your stay was not what we expect of ourselves. I have investigated into these mis-steps, and I can assure you that we have taken corrective action to prevent these types of incidents from happening in the future. I appreciate the feedback, and I can tell you that these types of incidents are not the norm.

I am surprised also that your wife's guest signed to charge the parking to your room. Please contact me at the number below, so that I may arrange to have this corrected at once.

As for ROOF, it indeed is a very popular spot located on the 27th floor. We do have a loyal following because of the high level of entertainment, wine list, small plate, and hand crafted cocktails. As you indicated, there is a cover charge - but as a hotel guest, this is waived. Additionally, as a hotel guest - you do receive "priority access" and will be ushered to the front of the line for an express elevator to begin your ROOF experience. In the future, simply check-in with the host located in the lobby - and we can ensure you personally escorted up as a hotel guest.

I was glad to see that overall your stay was still positive, but will certainly work hard in the future to ensure your EXPERIENCE is "flawless." Please contact me on your next visit to theWit, so that I may ensure your complete satisfaction.

Take care, and thank you for staying with us.

Best Regards,
Tad Stricker
Director of Operations
theWit Hotel - Chicago
312-239-9531

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed at TheWit this last weekend. It was great. Great service, wonderful clean big rooms. We were greeted with a warm welcome along with fresh warm cookies. The front desk made sure they were at our service at all times. The attached restaurant/lounge downstairs (State and Lake Chicago Tavern) was great. The breakfast was unbelievable delicious and sitting in the lounge with a cocktail was really relaxing. The guitar player Saturday night (Kevin Cochran) in the lounge downstairs was one of the best acoustic guitar players I have heard. He was a great ending to a wonderful weekend. We did go upstairs to the rooftop but we returned as it was not our style of lounge We will definitely return to TheWit.

1  Thank St_Louis_Traveler3
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at this awesome hotel in Chicago. The location is perfect for walking to and from some of the most popular areas of the city. Shopping, restaurants, shows, sightseeing are all just steps away. Great staff service was the first impression from the valets, to the front desk staff, concierge and bellmen. All smiling, helpful, well groomed, professional and full of energy. Haven't experienced this level of service for very many stays anywhere in the city. Definitely adding them to our top 5 list of places to stay in Chicago, just not saying where on the list, but the price certainly was a steal. Rooms were plush, clean and the views awesome. Between the restaurants and clubs on the premises you really don't need to worry about going anywhere should the weather ever not cooperate. Quiet nights rest right on State Street, so much so we even overslept and we never do that. Kudos to all who made our stay so enjoyable!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 11th floor and it was great; however, next time will try a higher floor just to inc...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I usually don't book "signature hotels" or "design hotels", because experience has shown me these kind of places are only a pretty wrapping of a lousy gift.
Well, this fine hotel has proven me there is always an exception to the rule!
Exceptionally well located- a few steps far from the main touristic attractions in Chicago, and if not, very well served by CTA lines, this hotel is not only friendly-the detail of the warm cookie at the check-in is a touch of sympathy other hotels should follow.
Very attentive, competent and professional staff completes the initial overall.
Spacious, clean and very well designed rooms, equipped for your comfort with a bunch of gadgets and contemporary amenities people tend to find essential nowadays, theWit is a wise choice wether you're on business or not.
We've chosen the King Room with Spa Bath- a wise choice, as we've learned later, after the concert we've attended. Late at night, after a tiresome flight and a packed day, the spa bath was a GREAT healing for our stress.
If you are in the mood, there's a a state-of-the-art gym as well as a yoga studio, which we've only visited, but seemed very good.
State and Restaurant has average american cuisine, allegedly contemporary, but not bad at all.
Best bet is at the rooftop lounge, which offers stunning views of the city as well as wood-fired oven pizza-not great, but honest.
Hint: don't even try bringing stuff to store at the room fridge-it's a fulfilled minibar with the well-known hideous system "you touch, you pay" like some casinos in Vegas. Sad.
One bad impression-a so warm and friendly hotel, doesn't offer complimentary wi-fi, but instead, an overpriced high speed connection.
If you need as we did, there's no other option. It's a great service, but very expensive.
Business Center is a little bit tricky to find, but there's a possibility to print flight tickets at no cost. and it's very well equipped.
Anothe remark: if you plan staying at the lobby, be prepared for loud music, not always pleasant, but not dreadful at all.

In a word: theWit- the first in a new chain from Doubletree (itself a division of Hilton) is a very good choice for almost every traveller,

Room Tip: Choose a King Room with a spa.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Schwartzkopf_Reiser

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay at theWit Hotel.

I will share your kind words with the staff. The King Room with Spa Bath was indeed a wise choice, and are very relaxing. Our spa also offers signature products and service to accompany the spa tubs as well.

For the mini-bar fridge, those are indeed well stocked with product. Our goal is make our mini-bar offerings relevant, moderately priced, convenient and approachable. You can actually remove the items to take a look at the contents, nutritional info, etc... and if replaced within a minute - the system registers that you were just looking and does not result in a charge. As I'm sure you noticed, the mini-bar is stocked with signature "Wit" products.

I will also add that if you do require a room with a refrigerator, we do have some rooms with kitchenettes, and we also have refrigerators available on request - which may be placed in your room. Feel free to let us know in the future, and we would be glad to deliver this for you.

For the internet connection offerings - as I'm sure were aware - we do offer 3 speeds. Good, Better, and Best. The charge does help mitigate the cost of this high end service offering. Good offers 1 MB of speed - great for checking email, or simple text pages. The Better speed offers 3 MB of upload / download, and the Best speed offers a blazing fast 5 MB dedicated bandwith all to yourself. The Best speed is great for large downloads, streaming video, and such. This allows you to choose the option best suited to your needs.

Overall, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your "Wit EXPERIENCE" and look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Please feel free to reach out directly to me, if I may be of further assistance.

Take care.

Best Regards,
Tad Stricker
Director of Operations
theWit Hotel - Chicago
312-239-9531

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Hotel was clean , staff was extremely friendly and the location was perfect. Chocolate chip cookies were a nice treat but wanted to eat on the rooftop and couldn't because it was more of a bar than restaurant. No pool, no bathtub, no breakfast included.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

I spent one week here and felt like I was at home. The staff throughout the hotel were very warm and friendly.

The hotel's in a great location, just footsteps away from the most iconic theaters and a 10-minute walk away from the shops on Michigan Avenue.

The State & Lake restaurant had amazing food & drinks, and the rooftop bar is one of the hottest locations in Chicago - it's great being able to skip the queues and go straight up on a Saturday night.

A great hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My family had a wonderful stay at The Wit Chicago for my son's 11th birthday. The staff were over the top helpful and very friendly. The rooms, lobby and even hallways were nicely decorated and very clean. The hotel is located near a major subway line and a short walk to The Magnificent Mile. We will definitely stay here again.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton