“Funky trendy hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Hamilton, Bermuda
“Funky trendy hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

My Wit experience was fantastic. The hotel is right in the middle of downtown Chicago, close to shopping, restaurants, bars and the river. The room was large and very comfortable with artsy, eclectic furnishings. The floor to ceiling windows in the bath are second to none. The best part - it felt nothing like a chain. If I didn't know it was a Doubletree, I would never have known. I will stay here now every time I travel to Chicago!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner, floor to ceiling views on two sides
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank queson1973
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thanks for all of these great winter reviews. We can wait to begin hosting guests for spring, summer and fall 2013. We look forward to new friends and repeat guests alike. Please be assured that 100% of Trip Advisor reviews are shared with all team members for congratulations and critique.

Regards,

Mark Shouger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed in the Spa King room for only one night, and I was very sad to leave once check out time came around. Our room was very spacious, floor to ceiling windows (we had a corner unit, which was awesome), and the best part...the tub. I don't usually take baths at hotels, but I could not resist this one. It was a true soaking tub, and had a great view of the city. The hotel is conveniently located to most everything you would want to do in downtown Chicago, and is right on the red line. The best part for me is that there is a Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts and City Target all within and easy 4 block walk from the hotel. I would recommend staying here to anyone; it was a truly great experience!

Room Tip: Corner units have great views. If you are a light sleeper, request a room away from the red line sto...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I’ve spent 100s of nights in downtown Chicago hotels, both for business and pleasure, but this was my first time at the Wit, for a two-night business trip. I’ll be back!

Positives
- Great location at the intersection of State and Lake, just south of the Chicago River and by the very useful State/Lake el stops (includes Red, Green, Pink, Brown, Orange, and Purple lines). The Orange Line serves Midway Airport. About two blocks from the Blue line el, which serves O’Hare. Easy walking distance to River North, Mag Mile, the Art Institute, and River North restaurants. It’s a relatively safe location as well - I walk around alone at night in this area all the time (I’m female).
- My room had a great view over the Chicago River and Marina City.
- The hotel is relatively new, and it shows - everything worked, nothing in my room was dinged up, the lobby was fresh and clean (they waft some kind of scent in there, though, so if you’re scent-sensitive, be warned). Lighting is excellent for reading in bed. My room was extremely clean (except for one little trash issue - see below).
- I heard little to no noise from other rooms, the hall (including the chirping birds), or the street (I consider myself fairly noise-sensitive).
- As with all Doubletrees, you get a warm cookie at check-in.
- The fitness center is open 24 hours (yay!) and is well-equipped, with numerous treadmills and ellipticals. I like to work out early (between 4 and 5.30 AM) - one morning I had the place entirely to myself, and the other morning it was almost entirely filled with men, and only men.
- Staff were friendly and helpful. I’d heard this hotel had a bit of a ‘tude, but I didn’t’ see any of that, if it exists.
- I liked having the option for additional HHonors points rather than an included breakfast.

Negatives/other factors
- The fitness center was too warm. Most vigorous exercisers prefer a cooler temperature than the 70-72 degrees F that the fitness center was kept at.
- Not much water pressure in my shower.
- I couldn’t get the heat down lower than 65 degrees F (I prefer a much cooler room than most people). Will be interesting to see how A/C works in summer.
- I was there for two nights, and my bathroom trash can wasn’t emptied when my room was serviced. I’d only thrown two small things in it, but still.
- This hotel is very pleased with itself. It wants to be trendy and it wants to be a scene and it wants to be cool - this shows up everywhere, in the written materials in your room, in the decor and chirping bird noise in the halls, in the dim pink light as you exit the elevator on the fitness center/spa floor. (Not in staff attitude, though.) One of my colleagues recommended this hotel to me, and he told me the “scene” aspects were considerably worse in summer. A second gay colleague of mine told me the hotel had a reputation amongst his gay friends as “a gay designer threw up in there”. If that kind of wannabe trendy thing bothers you, stay away.
- The entrance isn’t particularly large or obvious - it’s on the east side of State Street, just to the north of the overhead el tracks that run east-west down Lake Street.

I didn’t use the restaurant, roof bar, room service, or hotel Internet, so can’t comment on those. (I used my phone for Internet access - not wifi - and that was fast, with a strong connection.)

In summary, despite some of the things I listed above, I very much enjoyed my stay here, and I plan to use the Wit again. Would have given 4.5 circles if that was an option.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Orem, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

First off, I am a Hilton Honors Diamond member, but this was the first time I had been upgraded to a suite, which had a sitting room with a mini kitchen. The restaurant there, State and Lake has probably the best breakfast that I have ever had a hotel. It is not cheap, but the same price as any other hotel. The location is PERFECT. It is right at the L station so you can jump on to go anywhere in the city. Parking is pricey, but I usually just rent at the Avis on Clark St. PIck up in the morning, drop off at night, no parking fees.

Davidson, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stayed here for a night on Business. They say it is not a hotel, but an experience. I would agree that it is different, but I am not sure what the experience is. Spanish music jamming outside, house inside, and sounds of birds chirping in the hallways.

Not much of a lobby. Check in was smooth. Rooms are very nice, modern, and most have good views of the city. At turndown, they gave me a pair of toy clapping hands. Again, what is that?? I could have at least ate chocolate?

The location is very good. On State street right by a picturesque bridge, Michigan Ave, and tons of restaurants.

There is a restaurant on the 1st floor connected to the lobby which has good food but pricey. The star of the show at this hotel is the rooftop bar. It is gorgeous. At least what I saw of it. Half of it was closed to a private party, but it was amazing. Very modern, fireplace, all glass, great views....

The work out facility was better then average.

Basically, of your looking for a trendy place in a great location in Downtown Chicago this is for you.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

So very helpful from last minute reservation change without penalty to early check in and late check out they were first rate. The suite was large and comfortable. Concierge took packages for me for several days in advance of my stay. They greeted me by name every time they saw me. We lingered for hours over a business lunch with no resentment of trouble from the staff.I am normally at the Marriott across the street or the Four Seasons uptown. This service was better than Marriott and on par or better in some cases than the Four Seasons. I was shocked. They really have it together and the value for the price can't be beat. I will be back anytime I stay in Chicago. For business it was great!

Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

The pros:
- the area where the hotel is located
- the hospitality of all the employees (outstanding)
- the rooms quite large end a very good bed
- Cleanliness
The cons:
- the Wifi connection : not only is charged 11 dollars per day but in the rooms is very bad (slow and frequent cuts) and it was not only in my room
- the pressure of the water in the shower
Overall it's a very good hotel in terms of value.

Stayed February 2013
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you.

We do strive for excellence, and I am thrilled that the team members delivered on this.

Internet quality & speed issues experienced for a brief window in February by our provider have been corrected and we are pleased to offer the choice of three tiers of bandwith to all guests based upon individual needs.

We are appreciative of all business and feedback.

Mark Shouger