“Perfect Location in a great city” 4 of 5 bubbles

theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #39 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Geneva, Illinois
“Perfect Location in a great city”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

my husband and I stayed for one night. It was a very nice hotel, right near the theaters and many, many restaurants. the lobby is very nice as well, the staff was friendly and helpful. There is a bar and restaurant connected, however, we didn't try it out. We did stop by the rooftop lounge which had great views, although it was a touch loud. As for the rooms, it was clean and comfortable. My only issue was the thin walls. we heard everything going on in the room next room. the unfortunate thing is we had to call the front desk at 2am to quiet the "party" in that room. The hotel was very responsive and immediately contacted the other room. all in all, we really liked the location. as I said, hotel staff very nice and the rooms were clean. I guess fix the thin walls and we'd be giving 5 stars.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lolalouie
MShouger, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Thank you for feedback regarding experiences at theWit. We take all commentary to heart and will assess and aim to make continuous improvements, daily, and for the long term.

- Mark Shouger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Burke, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

My wife and I traveled to Chicago to visit my son and a friend that is in boot camp at RTC Great Lakes. The Navy was kind enough to allow us to "adopt a sailor" for Christmas Day. Our plan was to have dinner in the room (filet mignon and several of my son's other favorites). It could have been a disaster if it weren't for the desk staff (Sean and others) requesting support from the Executive Chefs (Kevin and Mario) to help us to make it the most memorable meal and experience ever. The entire staff from the valets to the manager could not have been nicer and more helpful. We had a wonderful suite with a great view of the city that was elegant and relaxing. I know there are other options in this great city, but I for one will stay at this hotel each time I visit. The restaurant and bar were fantastic too! Ask Ryan or one of the other bartenders to pour you a Ki Chun beer! It is a limited production of a local brew from 5 Rabbit. One of the best beers ever! Give this great hotel an opportunity to serve you, I am confident that you will have a similar experience.

Room Tip: The paramount suite provides space and a great view of the city.
1 Thank lmason7330
We are thrilled with the number of extraordinary holiday season reviews which highlight so many positive features of the hotel and especially the staff. We will share all positive comments with these team members and commend them for their actions.

We also will eagerly wait repeat visits.

Happy 2013!

-Mark Shouger
New Palestine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

I travel to Chicago frequently to pick up a child from college, and being a hilton honors gold member, we always stay at a hilton family hotel. theWit had a points special on a King junior suite with a pull out sofa bed (not something I usually like), and I decided to give it a try as there were three of us traveling and it was a very good deal! Room was spectacular, both the king bed and the pullout sofa bed were comfortable! Although, I wouldn't recommend the sofa bed for two full sized grown adults, it was very comfortable for one adult and would be great for kids. The bathroom is incredible with a huge tub (extremely clean) and giant glassed in shower. We noticed the spa menu actually had special baths you could order, and that would be wonderful for a romantic getaway. But, being cheap and not on a romantic getaway, we got a couple of Lush bath bombs and had very relaxing baths anyway! I also liked the water saving "select your flush" toilets, a nice eco-friendly touch! We ended up ordering room service both in the evening and for breakfast due to a scent the hotel pumps into the hotel common areas, was setting off my asthma making it impossible for my family to eat in the restaurants! They ended up making my kids grilled cheese and I had a salad as there were not a lot of vegetarian options. It was good, but incredibly expensive for room service. We loved the birds and crickets that chirped in the halls, they don't bother you in the rooms, and we found the rooms to be very quiet. I am usually bothered by every noise, but I didn't find the street noise bad at all, including the train. We were on the 24th floor so maybe that made a difference. the only problem I had with this hotel is the scent they pump into the common areas. When we first walked in my daughter and I thought maybe someone just had on way too much perfume, but then we noticed that the smell was everywhere! If it had been in the rooms, we would not have been able to stay there. I asked the staff about the smell, I mean scent, and they informed me that most people find it "delightful", I find that "hard to believe"! I had to use my inhaler frequently due to the smell, I mean scent, and I haven't had to use my inhaler in over a year! If you or your children have any kind of asthma, allergies, or respitory condition this smell, I mean scent, could be a problem for you. The weird part is, this hotel is so awesome, there is no need to pump in this perfumy smell, I mean scent.

2 Thank AmyNewPalestine
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

I will tell you that the hotel was great but the staff was better! I live in NYC and travel to chi-town often both for business and for pleasure. Unless rates skyrocket, I don't think I will stay anywhere else! The rooms were clean, and spacious and the beds were...AMAZING!!! Something about some type of snuggly special bedding, but it really was "all that". But what set the hotel apart, aside from the absolute walk anywhere perfect location was the staff. The concierge, Sean was the perfect mix of classy gentleman and hipster cool in an organic way. Danielle and Sam at the front desk went out of their way to make my quirky foursome ( 8 year old nephew along with my 40+ sister and brother-in-law) welcome and pampered. The hotel itself had a few minor things (really minor) that were meant to be great, but....like the sinks in the bathrooms that were gorgeous, but you could not wash your face and not spill water everywhere...however, so silly, still a 5 out of 5. In the restaurant which had great food, the waitstaff knew us and had our coffee and juice to us before our coats were off! Thanks Juan and merry Xmas!

Room Tip: The one bedroom suite is a great value just don't get a room on too high a floor because the roo...
2 Thank Diana G
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

My wife and I went to Chicago for family vacation and we went to the Wit. the location is very great all the restaurants and the shopping are very close and also you can enjoy the millennium park. the hotel are very clean and the staff are very help full and friendly.I defiantly recommend this hotel.

1 Thank aalnuaim
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

Overall great experience. From our first contact with the valet, the warm cookies at the front desk and a suite with magnificent views of the city the Wit met all of our expectations. The convenient location allowed us to stroll from the hotel to the Chicago Theater in about 60 seconds. There are plenty of restaurants within a very short walk and a $5 cab ride to the near north restaurants ($4.80 to Shaws Crab House).

Our suite had views of Lake Michigan, The Chicago River and a great view south of State Street. We had two bathrooms and two TV's along with a well equipped kitchen. With all the great restaurants in the area the kitchen was good for keeping the vodka cold, lol.

My only caution would be to light sleepers. Even though we were on the 22nd floor the sound of the passing El trains do resonate into the room. We didn't mind it but it might be an issue with those people with rabbit ears.

Great staff of people at the Wit. Thanks to all.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a room that is not facing south. South side of the building is d...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

I returned again for an annual business event. Location is great. Yes, there is a murmur of street noise filtering through the windows. I find it soothing others have logged in differently on this site. Staff is very friendly and accommodating. F&B last year had breakfast in an alternate place and had failed. Pleased to report it is much better back in the main restaurant. Liked the deconstructed Corned beef Hash. Overall the experience was very nice. I will be back next year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business