“Location” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Michigan
“Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I've stayed at a lot of hotels in Chicago this year, many chains and some boutiques. This is my first stay at the Double Tree and it does not disappoint. With a friendly staff, comfortable rooms and a great location for all things downtown Chicago, this is a good choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I've traveled for 5 years as a consultant and have stayed in a wide range of hotels across many states and countries. I value comfort over style any day. Overall, this one isn't bad, but for the price, it's hard not to feel ripped off. For $300, I expected more than friendly service, a good location and generic trendy room. I wanted a good night's sleep and that was sadly lacking. The entire stay, I couldn't help thinking about those Holiday Inn commercials about being smart and not overspending and how they were talking about hotels like this.

Pros:
- Rooms are nice...nothing bad, but nothing special. They try really hard to be trendy but the "unique" pieces don't really evoke any emotions for me either way.
- I like the music in the lobby and the nature sounds in the hallway.
- Staff is very friendly and accommodating
- Location is great for downtown Chicago
- Rooftop bar was your typical cool business people hang-out on a Thursday night

Cons:
- SO much noise. People sound like they're in your room and I wasn't even near the elevator. Tried to take a nap after a long flight...nope, housekeeping was extremely loud. Every door open and close sounds like your door. Woke up at 7am to a woman having a phone conversation for almost 2 hours. I don't know where she was, but it sounded like it was in my room. Not only could I hear every word she said, I could hear the person on her phone. Can definitely hear the train as well...including the train announcer saying "Doors closing."
- Bed was not great. It's a little on the firm side. Pillows were ok. It made me miss my bed at home. The sheets felt rough. and the sheets on one bed had these dark streaky stains on them...ew! Needless to say, it was hard to sleep soundly.
- "Cool" bathroom sink was very wide and shallow. It looked nice I didn't enjoy the splash backs it caused.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Donna F
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Each critique is appreciated, and certainly taken to heart.

We are pleased that overall service, location and amenities continue to be a big plus.

Room locations may be determined at time of arrival for specific requests and needs (i.e. the "not so sound sleeper," room and suite needs, etc.

We look forward to hosting for enjoyable and flawless visits in the future.

-Mark Shouger
Germantown, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

This was a super room. The king suite was beautiful! Right in the heart of the city. The views were great. Comfy bed. Warm cookies on arrival.

My only complaint was that 2 times housekeeping started opening my room, no knock, and one of those times the do not disturb sign was on the door. In the scope of things minor, but mentionable.

• Stayed September 2012
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Recently spent 2 nights at theWit to celebrate our 5th anniversary in the city. Checked in the hotel around 2:30pm and was immediately received into our corner room on the 17th floor. The room was modern in its furnishings as expected. It wasn't the biggest room we've been but for what its worth, it met all the needs of 2 people who needed a place to sleep and relax away from the rain that swept in on us. The bathroom had all the basics that we needed and the hot water was indeed hot, unlike some hotels that seem to deliver lukewarm water when hot was what we wanted.

The hotel is on the corner of State and Lake in the heart of Chicago's loop. We took the L from O'Hare to the hotel which required no transfers. Easy walking distance to all that we wanted to do. As in all vacations, location is everything and theWit is at a great spot in the city for us travelers looking for easy access to food, transportation, venues and views.

As Hilton Honors Gold members, we received $20 per person breakfast vouchers from the hotel for each night we stayed and with it, we were able to eat at the State and Lake restaurant at the hotel lobby each morning (breakfast items run 12-16 per plate, coffee and OJ's at $4 to give you an idea). The food was very good and on a personal level, order the french toast. I don't think I've ever had a better french toast at any breakfast joint I've ever eaten at.

The hotel was gracious enough to send up some champagne and chocolate covered strawberries for our anniversary to the hotel and I forgot to send my thanks to the hotel before I left so I will leave my 'Thank You' note here as my wife and I was pleasantly surprised at the gift. The front desk staff was courteous and the concierge great at providing information on local restaurants.

The hotel has their own umbrellas that guests can borrow for the day when the weather turns bad. Bright yellow ones to be exact. Be sure to borrow them before leaving the hotel if the weather is going to turn bad for the day. I really should find out if I can buy one... the wife loved the color of it.

If there was a drawback to the hotel, 2 things come to mind. The ROOF on Saturday was a bit too much for me in that people lined up outside the hotel to get there and the hotel lobby did get crowded with people trying to get up in the elevator. It was a minor inconvenience but know that the locals flocked to this place during my short stay. The other issue is the L running below. Even from the 17th floor, you could hear the L trains go by. Did it bother me? Not at all since I slept very well at the hotel at night. It also felt like we're in Chicago and the noise is part of the city so I enjoyed the noise while awake, but I know others who might be annoyed by that so thought you should know.

In all, we had a great stay. The hotel met our needs and took the extra step to welcome us as their guest celebrating a special time for us. We appreciate everything that they staff did for us during our stay and look forward to staying at theWit in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TravelingJournal
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Most hotels will be on the higher end of price range in downtown, but I would have no problem booking this again. We had reserved a room ahead of time, so no problem there, but what was nice is they gave us 3 options/views we wanted based on the room we chose- Did we want to face the city, river, park, etc. They aren't exact clear views, mind you, since there are so many tall buildings. Also, upon check-in they give you a hot chocolate chip cookie. The room was spacious and definitely trendy decor. It's right by the chicago theatre. It's not quite close enough to walk to the Magnificent Mile for shopping but it can be done if really want to, but you'll probably want to cab it. There are plenty of other stores close by anyway. The hotel does have a bar/club on the roof, which is cool but that is a little pricey to me for what you get- $15 drinks for nothing anymore special than I've had anywhere else.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed in this hotel with family and friends for a week recently and I can't fault it. It is an extremely lively and busy hotel with lots of events taking place but the staff make you feel like you're the only guest there. They are all extremely helpful and offered us numerous advice on places to eat and visit during our stay. The rooms were a great size and extremely clean and fresh. Whilst the hotel has been open for over 3 years it looks almost new. The location is excellent and you can walk to most places but the L is right next door literally (although I couldn't hear it from my room on the 18th floor). I'd happily recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Higher floors avoid L train noise.