“Amazing boutique hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Minneapolis, MN
“Amazing boutique hotel”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This is an amazing hotel...so stylish, so beautiful. The decor is modern, clean, comfortable. The soft sound of birds (day) or crickets (night) chirping in the hallways creates great ambience. The rooms are spacious; we had 4 people staying in a room with 2 queen beds and there was still plenty of room for suitcases on the floor. The rooftop bar provides incredible views of the city. Drinks are pricey, but you kind of expect that for the location. Upon arrival I forgot my cell phone in my car just after the valet had parked it. He was so kind and didn't hesitate to run to the ramp/lot to retrieve it for me. Great service. Breakfast in StateLake restaurant was delicious. Too bad Cibomatto was closed on Sunday night or we would have dined there. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The staff was spectacular, the view from my room on the 24th floor was breath-taking, and the location was perfect for a long weekend in Chicago! Upgraded to a junior suite, and it was absolutely wonderful to have a galley kitchen, lounge area and spa-style bathroom. But my favorite feature, by far, was the floor to ceiling windows, overlooking State Street.

The restaurant (State and Lake) was fine for breakfast - but with typical hotel restaurant pricing, there are better food values to be had just steps from the front door. Rooftop bar? Great view, friendly staff - and requisite over-priced drinks. Did the Sunday brunch on the rooftop upon arrival, while waiting for my room to be prepared, and was a little underwhelmed...

Did i mention the great view?

Parking on-site = vehicular rape. $46/day. But there seem to be no other reasonably priced options, so this is likely the going rate for parking in the neighborhood. Transportation options abound! Park outside the city and take the train!

Convenient bus stops just outside the hotel take you to all the museums - again, no need to have a car! The Blue line train is two blocks away (Clark/Lake) and can get you to/from O'Hare Airport for $2.25! A taxi will cost you $45!

Had a blast! Will stay there again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank daisyfae
Plymouth, Michigan
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This is a a great location for theatre trips. The hotel itself is done in a contemporary decor and is clean and sleek. The staff is professional and very attentive to their guests. We wanted to see the rooftop bar but we're "older folks" and didn't really want to be part of the young people's bar scene. A staff member unlocked it for us during the day and let us look around and see the view. Beware that the rooftop is PACKED on weekends and that tends to jam the elevators. We've stayed here three times and will probably go back.

Room Tip: ask for a partial lake view
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Loved
Trendy lobby and rooms
Warm cookies on arrival and check out
Spacious rooms
Great location near millenium park

Did not love
Noisy room next to train
Noisy lobby due to restaurant traffic
Breakfast order incorrect, was told it would be comp'd, still got billed and had to ask for it to be fixed again. It happens - but other travelers should know room service has its kinks.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the side opposite the train to avoid noise
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
MShouger, Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Please know that theWit team appreciates all critiques. We have noted before that specific room and suite location requests may be made at time of booking and upon arrival to best meet all guest needs. Our prime downtown Chicago location allows for a variety of views, accessibility and requests. We look forward to hosting families, couples, friends, and single leisure and business travelers as The Traveler's Reward for all else one may go through to get here. Remember, too that theWit is part of HHonors and all the benefits associated with this.

Thank you.

-Mark Shouger
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 21, 2011

I was delighted my firm picked theWit for my weeklong stay in Chi-town.

CHECK-IN -- Hot cookie upon check-in! Sweet (if I liked sweet stuff, but nice gesture nonethless).

THE ROOM -- The rooms are spacious and the decor is trendy. My room was located directly off the elevator and on the side facting N. State street with the metro line to the left. I thought that might be a problem with all the noises, but it didn't bother me at all. Then again, my home is near an airport, so perhaps I'm used to that kind of background noise. The strange part was I could hear people showering and flushing toilets and stuff. I think they have good insulated windows and doors, but the walls are thin. I'm should thank my lucky stars that my neighbors weren't boisterous :)

They have wireless internet, but it's not complimentary. The desk setup was comfortable, so I could get work done in between meetings. Plus, if you don't want to pay $1/page, you can upload docs to Kinko's and pick up across the street in the basement of the Reneissance.

DINNERS AND OTHER NIGHT DISTRACTIONS
I was with a large group and we didn't make reservations for dinner. With the help of the nice concierge lady, we were able to snag very last minute rezzies at Hoyt's nearby.

One night we decided to try Cibo Matto in theWit, since we got a coupon for a free bottle of wine upon check-in. That was not such a great idea. The weight was horrendous, and the food was only so-so. Here's my Yelp review for those that want more details: http://www.yelp.com/biz/cibo-matto-chicago

The rooftop bar was snazzy, but pricey. It was fun seeing the different streams of people coming in and out of the elevators to and from the roof. Ultimately though, it was too noisy, so we made our way down to the lounge bar/restaurant, which was much better for a large group that wanted to talk.

All in all, I'd stay at theWit again. Aside from the inside amenities, it was within walking distance to everything you could imagine, include shopping, delicious food, and booze.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ctina225
Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We stayed over the July 4th weekend. Room was very quiet and the service from the hotel was excellent. Requested a refrigertor and room service promptly delivered.
The bathroom sink is elegant to look at but impractical. Shallow basin causes water to splash out. Roof Top bar is apparently "the place" as it was very popular day and night. Outstanding views of the city.

• Stayed July 2011
New Jersey
Reviewed July 13, 2011

I'm extremely critical in all my reviews as trip advisor has served me abounds over the past 10 years so I try to pay it forward. I really enjoyed my stay in chicago, I would like to add though it was sunny and nearly 80 each day in october which was apparently nearly unheard of weather so I might be overly excited about the trip in its entirety. I stayed a long weekend with my girl and really enjoyed the hotel overall. I paid a little extra for a corner room, had a great decent size bathroom with seperate shower/tub and the view down state st. was priceless especially the chicago theater sign.. I enjoyed being able to open the window and hear the elevated trains/sounds of the city and close it to complete calm. Bed was super comfy, TV was great and hotel could not have been in a better location, always easy to catch the train or a cab. One morning I had the pleasure of seeing 40,000 people run by for the chicago marathon and it was always easy to find breakfast in walking distance. Had a drink at the rooftop but couldnt stay long as we ventured to different restaurants and clubs every night. Concerns: Only a few first of course being the $12 for internet for 24hrs, its 2011 lets go with the charging for internet it just makes your hotel look stingy alot of us need web access for business. I travel alot and so many higher end hotels do this its just not right, especially in the US. Second I left a neck pillow in the room I used for the plane, had my girl run in literally an hour after we checkout and they were unable to find the pillow or the maid who might have taken it as the room had been cleaned, my girl seemed to feel they were genuinely unconcerned with it at the front desk. Not a big deal but enough to say something about. Finally the door opening issue. I travel alot and have stayed in decent hotels to top rated hotels all over the world. Wit has literally 2-3 "doormen" at all times (at least during my stay) and all weekend they hadn't opened a door more than once and we were in and out all day/night. If you are paying people to stand outside in a shirt with your hotel name on it, make them open the cab door, and the hotel entrance door, its simple enough and I tip when they do so!! Easy to make a great first impression... Overall staff seemed genuinely nice, with the exception of an extremely sarcastic valet who checked my baggage on the last day, and after I somehow misplaced my ticket for it an hour later proceeded to poke fun at the situation and then had trouble "locating the bags" even though it was an hour duration inbetween. Just nitpicking at this point though, I would definetely return in a minute!!!

Room Tip: Get a corner room..Hotel gets really busy friday/saturdays due to rooftop
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple