“Don't even think of it if you're with little kids/infants”

Hilton Chicago O'Hare Airport
Ranked #124 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed March 14, 2008

I am a mother and was travelling alone with my 2 small children (3 years old girl and 7 month old boy). We got stranded at O'Hare due to flight cancellations and had to spend the night. For the low price of $399 plus tax.

The front desk people could have been more friendly and helpful, considering I was alone with 2 small kids. The hotel was busy but there was no need for them to be so snippy with the customers.

Considering that the O'Hare Hilton is the ONLY hotel attached to O"Hare, one would think that the hotel would be somewhat used to people travelling with small children and infants. The gift shop had one VERY overpriced package of diapers and one very very overpriced thing of ready-to-drink infant formula. There was no baby food, not a jar of Gerber to be found. I bought the diapers and formula (12 diapers and 10 oz of formula cost me $37 - would have cost under $10 at Target). Got upstairs, trying to figure out how to feed my starving baby, and then BEGGED room service to make me an apple or vegetable puree for my infant. The concierge was unwilling to help me get baby food - i asked them to send a taxi to Walgreens to get me some baby food and they told me to take the taxi myself (kinda hard with 2 exhausted kids and no carseats). After crying and literally begging room service, they got me some applesauce (for the low price of $15). They should really have something to offer mothers (or fathers) stuck there with kids.

I also asked the front desk if they had a toothbrush, and they told me that i had to buy one at the gitfshop. I told them that I'd already been to their giftshop once, waited for 10 minutes for the clerk to return from her "break' (she had a "back in 5 minutes" sign taped to the door), found the formula and diapers, forgot about not having a toothbrush, then got upstairs to my room, put my kids to bed and realized I had no toothbrush. I asked the front desk to please make an exception for an exhausted single mom with 2 sleeping kids (you cannot leave the room while your kids are asleep) and they told me that i was out of luck. Gift shop or dirty teeth.

They brought me a pack n play for my baby to sleep in, but the blanket was soiled. Phoned and they delivered a "clean" blanket.

I would encourage the O'Hare Hilton to do the right thing and begin stocking baby food and/or be more open to helping people who are stranded at O"hare without luggage and without items for their children.

The room was clean, the beds comfy, and the bathroom tiny. Quite quiet.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank EricJohnson54_40

Reviewed February 10, 2008

Like many others who have stayed here, I ended up at this hotel after a cancelled flight. The rooms are very nice, clean, modern furnishings. Staff is friendly and helpful. The Sports Bar is convenient but the food is not good. The best thing about this hotel is that you can walk (without going outside) to the United terminal. It was pricey for a Hilton but ok for one night.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 5, 2008

It was okay, I guess. I can't complain too much since I only paid $119 thanks to Continental Airlines after I got fogged in for a night. I chose this hotel because I had a 6am flight and didn't want a hassle in the morning. For that purpose, the hotel is good! You can't get more convenient at this airport.

Now that my stay there is over, would I stay there again under similar circumstances (stranded due to flight cancellations) if I had to pay $350-$400? Probably not, but I guess everyone has to make their own call on how much they'll pay to be just a quick walk away from their flight. I wouldn't because I found this hotel to be third rate. I don't mind a stay at second or third rate hotel (or even someting like a Red Roof Inn) so long as I'm being charged accordingly. This hotel wants to take advantage of you and your wallet and your stranded-at-the-airport situation every chance they get. For example, I stupidly threw my disposable razor away at a previous hotel before I departed for O'Hare and found I'd have to pay about 8 bucks to get one crappy disposable razor at this hotel (had to purchase a bathroom kit from the mini-bar). Wait'll you see the prices for candy bars and potato chips!

The room was small and nothing special. Think of your typical $100/night hotel and that's about what you get. IOW, if you're payting 350-400 bucks (plus all the additional charges) you'll feel stupid.

Two light bulbs were out and the lights that worked weren't very bright. I know I could've called from replacement bulbs but judging by the 10 minutes I was on hold for room service and the hour and 15 minute wait for the sandwich, I didn't bother. The grilled chicken sandwich was pretty good, though. I normally wouldn't complain about delays in room service. There's just shy of 900 rooms they have to deal with. But the person who delivered the food vented to me (without my prompting) about people in other rooms getting frustrated by the slow service. He said they were having trouble because there were a zillion flights cancelled and the entire hotel was filled. The thing is, a main purpose of this hotel's purpose is to be there for the victims of when zillions of flight cancellations hit O'Hare. You'd think they'd have their act together a bit better since this is a regular occurance.

The TV was annoying because each channel seemed to be at a different volume (to an extreme degree). The showerhead was pathetic. They have ice machines designed in a way that makes it quite a task to hold your ice bag under it and still be able to push the button to get the ice. When I went to the front desk during the night to get help on a few things I found that their late night staff are zombies. Talking to one particular woman manning the desk was like talking to a wall. It took her five minutes to figure out that I was indeed staying in the room I was staying in, that I had checked in with an American Express card, and she could indeed give me a mini-bar key. She also didn't seem aware that postcard stamps are not 41 cents so rather than trying to deal with her confusion I let her put a 41 stamp on the postcard - whatever.

Oh, and the carpeting throughout the hotel is truly vile, though I guess it serves the purpose of helping you know when you are in Hilton territory as opposed to the rest of the airport.

On the good side, I did get a good few hours of sleep, the wake up call was on the minute, the pillows comfy, and there was absolutely no noise from outside or other rooms. I also liked the view of the airport from the window, and how easy it was to get back to my room via the L train in the middle of rush hour from a quick afternoon shopping/lunch trip in downtwon Chicago.

I hope I don't sound like too much of a complainer. I only say all these things in order to stress that they're charging a lot for third rate rooms/service.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed February 1, 2008

Average stay. Even though nothing was bad, nothing really set it out from the crowd either.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed January 12, 2008

Due to an early morning departure and late night arrival, we spent a night here both before and after vacation. The rates seemed reasonable, so we took the commuter bus from Milwaukee, which was very convenient (the "bus terminal" is right across the street) and allowed us to avoid the hassle of constuction on I-94.
Check in was quick and painless. It wasn't busy either time, so we used the front desk. One clerk was quite indifferent while the other was more friendly and outgoing, though both were very efficient.
The room was smaller than I expected, but suited our needs perfectly. It was clean and quiet. I was a little too tired both nights to give an unbiased assessment of the beds, but I did sleep well both nights.
We had evening snacks to hold us over at the sports bar. The waitress warned us about the small portion sizes, and she was right, but it was probably what I should normally have anyway. We enjoyed a very good breakfast at the restaurant (not the buffet) which, like everything else here was pricey, but that's expected.
Given this experience, I'd use this hotel again in a similar situation. The convenience of being connected to the terminal is just too good to pass up.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2008

Stayed here because all of the downtown hotels were sold out. Upon arriving I stunned to find out that valet was $37. I moved my car to a remote lot and paid far less. This hotel is very, very convenient if you get stranded @ O'Hare. The Blue Line train takes you downtown which I found nice. I was given a new renovated room on the 10th floor overlooking the runways which I loved. I ate in teh pub one night and had a decent but Hilton (expensive) Priced meal. I didn't take advantage of the pool because it cost $10 to use it. The room and hotel overall was very clean. I would definately star here again though.

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 23, 2007

Yes, it is overpriced for what you're getting, but that's the way it is at a lot of airport hotels. Their rooms are smaller and a bit dated, but this is because they want to have as many rooms as possible and because it's very difficult to overhaul hotels of this size. Ultimately, you're not looking for a resort when you're staying at an airport (at least I'm not). You're looking for some place to rest your weary head between long, tiring and often irritating flights.

Is it kind to your wallet? No, it's not, but you'll get a good night's sleep and in the end, what more can you ask for?

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
Chicago Marriott O'Hare
Chicago Marriott O'Hare
#112 of 192 in Chicago
Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites Hotel
Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
#141 of 192 in Chicago

Been to Hilton Chicago O'Hare Airport? Share your experiences!