“the hotel is very good for the location but granted its not the rits”
Review of Bellwood Hotel

Bellwood Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chicago
Bellwood Hotel
Ranked #161 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
“the hotel is very good for the location but granted its not the rits”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

pat the head boss is very mean to her staff and the customers the hotel is not has clean has it looks in your photo i heard pat say to a customer that you cant tie your shoes on the stairs beca ue mite go up stairs that is rude the maintenance is not done they smoke in the bathroom dont care about your health in all theay need a better staff american preferably lousiey serv for the money u pay and get rid of pat be a cust omer one time you will see what i mean thankyou

• Stayed August 2012
4 Thank Pooh_bear_1951

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I've stayed at the Bellwood several times and the location is wonderful. If there are bedbugs, they are quite discreet. The rooms are dingy but not dirty and acceptable for the price. Unfortunately I recently had an experience with staff that cancels out these borderline virtues. On the night in question they only had availability at the top of their price range. I commented that at the price quoted, several full-service hotels were almost competitive. The desk clerk responded by inviting me to go to a full-service hotel -- truculent enough -- but he spiced the invitation with an exhortation for me to "get the f--- out". I was shocked. The same individual had taken my money several times. In my view of the world, this makes me a customer and deserving of at least civility if not courtesy. I concluded that the staff regards its guests as animals or at best the scum of the earth. I will make it a point not to number myself among them from now on. I would not have expected refunds/perks/attentiveness but neither did I expect abuse or profanity.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
16 Thank robert b

Travelers are raving about these Chicago hotels

kentucky
Reviewed April 9, 2010

I have stayed at the Bellwood several times over the past 4 years. The manager has never been anything but polite/friendly and helpful. The staff with the exception of one person have always been friendly and kind. Yes it is not as great as the Hyatt but the price is'nt as big and the money I save staying here let's me party more.
Great place/summer and winter.Keep it up guys.You are doing fine.
Dianna Krull

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Madison Wisconsin
Reviewed March 3, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel many of times with no incedent until this past weekend. I ocassionally come in to town from nearby Wisconsin and the Bellwood is in a convienent location on the near north east end of Chicago. Lots of stores, bars, and the lake front is also nearby. Fortunately one could check in and not have to deal with staff or any problems associated with travel. But this past weekend I rented a room with very poor to no heat at times. I complained to the very nice front desk clerk ( Lillian) but her hands were tied to what see could do for me to make my stay more comfortable. She just had limited excess to the necessary things, if it was in her power would have salvaged my stay. (Excess to extra rooms, blankets, etc.) After returning from a night on the town my room was freezing. Complaining didn't help like I said earlier the desk clerk had limited excess to accomondations. So I took it up with the manager that morning and was treated very badly by the person who called themselves a manager. Before even asking if I had a pleasant stay and hear what I had to say, she denied receiving any messages from the night clerk on my no heated room and said I should have been down at 6:30 in the morning to complain and said no way are you getting a fefund. I thought maybe a volcher for a future stay or something to show she cared. Nothing. Need I say more. Good luck If one decides to stay at the Bellwood Hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank jakethegolfer
Brighton
Reviewed October 10, 2009

I found this hotel online and contacted them as I wanted a budget hotel in the Gay Area of Chicago known as East Lake View. Several hotels came up in the area, but all of them were between $250 and $450 for a 2 night stay. The Bellwood advised they didn't take reservations and you just had to turn up pn the day, which I did.

I took a double room with a private ensuite bathroom for $40 for my first night, and had to take a double room with a shared bathroom for $30 per night on my second night.

On check in, they ask for a $2 refundable key deposit and payment for the first night of your stay which is $30 or $40 depending on whether you want a shared or private bathroom or not. i paid the $40 for a private and was given my key. I opened the door to my room and felt instant dismay.
It looked like a dilapidated building with wires handing out of the wall, a rusty old sink, a metal bed (although clean sheets and pillows). I looked at my so called "ensuite" and giggled. Tiles were up off the floor, the toilet pan was brown and the shower tray had mould about half an inch thick. It was obvious that it had been cleaned, just not SCRUBBED in a long long time. There was a tv in my room that did work and a sink in the corner, again, brown and stained.

I checked the bed before I decided if I was staying or not, it was very clean so I decided to tell myself "what can you expect for $40 per night". I stayed that night and actually got a very good nights sleep. There was no problem with noise and the room was secure, lockable from the inside.

On the second day, I went out early to see the city and came back about midday to pay for my second nights stay as i couldnt be bothered trudging round to try and find alternative accommodation. I was advised by the receptionist that house keeping had packed all my things up and cleared my room as check out time was 11am, and I hadnt paid before then to keep the room. I was advised this on check in, so it WAS actually my fault. I was dreading that things may have gone missing, as all my things had been packed up by housekeeping staff and left in reception for me. After getting back into a different room, I thoroughly checked my belongings and EVERYTHING was there, including my laptop and passport. I was very reassured by this.

They could only offer me a $30 room with shared bath for my 2nd night and I took this. The second room was a million times better than the first one. Much cleaner, in a better state of repair and I was actually quite pleased that I had lost my original room. Clean and comfortable bed and the bathroom was across the hall from my room. The bathroom however (clean as it was) was a bit of a disaster. Its small shower cubicles, with tepid water, and i could have probably pee'd faster than the dribble of water that came out of them. The toilets are in the same room, but theyre open plan - as in two toilets in the middle of the floor, with no cubicle, Its kinda embarassing when you have to go, as people can see you sat there!!!! Though, the americans just dont seem to care and get on with their business!! I'd recommend going to the petrol station across the street if you need anything other than a pee!!!!!!!!!!! :))))))

Again, I got a good nights sleep in the second room and checked out about 9am on the second morning.

All in all, i had a comfortable stay at this hotel, but please please beware, this is at the VERY BOTTOM END of budget accommodation. Its cheap, VERY cheap for Chicago, but at the same time, grim to look at. If all you care about is a bed to sleep in and somewhere to dump your bags, then it's fine, otherwise, i'd probably steer clear.

Asked if i'd stay here again, well I would have to be 100% certain that there was nowhere else available before I turned up to stay at this place again. If I was forced to stay here with no other option though, I would. Not for the faint hearted!!

The staff in the hotel were friendly enough which was nice, but again, lower thann basic accommodation, may be an idea to ask to see your room and make your mind up before you hand over your money.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
11 Thank oceancruzer
chicago
Reviewed July 17, 2009

Stayed here a few times and it was really clean and motel staff is really nice and helpful! its very cheap considering the area its in and the quality of the room.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank ryanbbb
Texas
Reviewed June 7, 2009

On my previose (first-time) visit to Chicago, I booked three nights at the next-to-cheapest place I could find, which was a traveller's hostel a couple miles from the Bellwood, , where I had one fo the worst lodging expereinces of my life. If I only had known that for a few dollars more per night, I could have gotten a clean, private room at the Bellwood. This place was very clean, no sign of bugs, many amenities (tv, private bath and shower, phone in the room ... microwave, vending machines and laundry room also in the hotel). The room was great, the price very reasonable, location was great for me, the staff was freindly but not intrusive, , they gave me a courtesy call half an hour before check-out time. I stayed three nights and have no complaints about anything and I would cheerfully and enthusiastically recommend this place to anyone needing short-term, budget acommodations in Chicago. Compared to the hostel, where I will never set foot again, or recommend to anyone, this place made a world of difference in my overall enjoyment of my stay in the city, and I will definitely stay here again when I come back to Chi-town. Stay away from the hostels, go to the Bellwood instead.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo