“Not the Loop but a Great Bargain”

Heart O' Chicago Motel
Ranked #145 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed here my second time a while ago and have been pleased both times. The motel seems trapped in the 50s but in a very pleasant, quaint way. The rooms are clean, quiet,and comfortable, and a bargain at 80something dollars. Amenities are few ( wi-fi, a free breakfast, free parking). But if all you want is a place to sleep in Chicago, it's hard to beat. Granted, the motel is way north, but it's a very short drive over to Lake Shore Drive and you can thus be in the middle of the Loop in fifteen-twenty minutes. No complaints here.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank WDemaree

Reviewed October 29, 2012

rude staff and owner....over charge me on my credit card,, rooms have mold... phone didnt work and they suggested I get I fix it... owner screams at you when you ask him a simple question.. extremely bad value....

Room Tip: stay away better to pay more than suffer here
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michael R
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We were going to see the Neo-Futurists on North Ashland, and wanted a nearby motel so we wouldn't have to drive far late at night. Found Heart O' Chicago and decided to try it based on good reviews. It's a motel from the 1960's with no updates but very clean and inviting. The bathroom has vintage fixtures and hardware, a little trip to Mad Men there! The main room itself had paneling which had been painted over and had a sponge effect applied -- nice, clean and surprisingly attractive. Our room was quiet despite being at the intersection on two main thoroughfares. Free wi-fi and free parking in their own lot. We were also able to have a nice affordable dinner at a Turkish restaurant about half a mile away. The breakfast buffet was donuts and cereal, nothing special but fine. I would definitely stay here again! However, as others have noted -- bring your own shampoo. There is soap but no shampoo, which luckily I had brought with me.

Room Tip: All rooms face the street -- there is no elevator so if you have problems climbing stairs, ask for a...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank eafinct
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This couldn't have been more convenient for us. It's an 'old' motel, but the rooms are very clean and almost vintage....where else can you find a sunny yellow bathroom....? It's on a busy street but we were unaware of any noise, and slept well. Check-in person was a delight; the fellow was friendly and helpful ! The ONLY negative was the 'lack of personality' of the person in the office when we checked out in the morning....but that's not a deal breaker for us staying here again. It's a great bargain and so convenient to restaurants and the bus lines.

Room Tip: If AC /Heat Unit makes noise....turn off the fan. You will still get the comfort without the sound.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cathy20122012
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I have stayed here a few times over the last ten years, most recently in September 2012 to attend a game at Wrigley Field. Accommodations are very basic but clean and comfortable. Free parking is nice and public transportation is easily accessible. No in-room iron or hair dryer or even little bottle of shampoo so be sure you bring it all with you. Breakfast is also basic (muffins, cereal, juice, coffee and tea) and tv channels were somewhat limited. There is a fire station nearby so it can be noisy due to sirens and traffic noise, but it's far from awful. Our only interactions with front desk staff were at check-in and check-out and they were pleasant enough. If you don't plan to spend a lot of time in your room and are primarily interested in a reasonably priced, clean and comfortable place to sleep, give this place a try. The Fireside on Ravenswood is an easy walk from the hotel and open for lunch, dinner, late-night and weekend brunch.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank DeirdreG124
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I was in chicago to see the White Sox and the Cubs play.
I was a little nervous about this place, but once I checked in and saw my room, it was fine.

The guy that checked us in, was very friendly and funny. Made jokes with us the whole time. When we got to our room it was clean and comfortable. Fluffly pillows. No problems with noise or anything.
The wifi worked fine, and so did the A/C. The only problem we had I believe was the tv, I think we only got like 2 channels. But I was asleep as soon as I got back so I didn't care, and my boyfriend was happy to watch whatever.

The bathroom was pink which I found hilarious. It was this cute little retro motel.
I had no problem getting to US Cellular Field, or Wrigley Field. I drove to both. Very easy to get to with a gps and a nice drive. Chicago is a beautiful city.

Would for sure come back and stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jordan R
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My family friends and I had the unfortunate opportunity to stay in this hotel. To begin with the first room we were given didn't have air conditioning - it was broken. The next room they gave us the air conditioning wasn't much better. The room was average, but the price and location was good, so we decided to put up with another air conditioning unit that wasn't working. We basically weren't able to sleep because it was so warm in the room and opening the windows gave little relief. My friends came here on my advice and had requested a non smoking unit for health reason. Their room had such a strong stench of smoke and when we went back to the manager, he said , in a very irritated manner, that he could not be responsible for what people do in the room. We also explained that the outlets weren't working in their room, to which he replied, "If you keep bothering me, I will have to ask you to leave." Now I realize the price and location were good, but I don't think that makes up for discourteous behavior. We asked nicely for the problems to be fixed and were made to feel as if we were problem customers. If there weren't any problems, we wouldn't have had to speak to him, but there were. Courteousness and respect is essential to me when I deal with any company. No matter how inexpensive the hotel is, it is not worth putting up with the manager. Heart O' Chicago isn't the only inexpensive and well located hotel in Chicago and I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Wolfman47
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
Rogers Park
Lakeview
Best Western Plus Hawthorne Terrace Hotel
Rodeway Inn Chicago
#159 of 192 in Chicago

Been to Heart O' Chicago Motel? Share your experiences!