“super convenient, but need ear plugs”
Review of Ohio House Motel

Ohio House Motel
Ranked #123 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“super convenient, but need ear plugs”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We stayed in 121 (ground floor next to entrance door, facing Ohio Street) between 5/24 - 5/29. Considering the history, we're a little worried about the room, but the room is spacious for the price + surprisingly clean (carpet, bedding), and bathroom is updated. My complains are about noises. Some of them is out of control by the hotel.

Pros:
* The location is super convenient. Michigan AV is 5min walk. If you want, you can walk to anywhere around loop on foot within 25min, but we had a 3-day pass.
* Many options for dining: Rock's'Roll MacDonald's in front of hotel. Portillo's Hot Dog is across from Rock'n'Roll MacDonald's. Lou Malnati's & Dino's Pizza are 2-block away.
* Cheap for location. You can't get a room under $100 near Michigan AV.
* Staff is accommodating. They cut off AC for entire motel when we told that our room was freezing.
* Neighborhood is safe for late night (after 10pm) + early morning (4pm) for us to walk from/to motel

Cons:
* Motel has several locked entrances. The door makes roaring sound when opened/closed.
* Walls are paper-think. We can literally hear what the next room guests were talking.
* Staying on the ground floor, the foot steps from upstair rooms were troubling for me.
* Traffic on Ohio/LaSalle are heavy, especially weekend night. I wonder other nearby hotels, e.g. Best Western across the stree has the same noise level.

If you want to save money as Chicago attractions are costly, bring a set of ear plugs.

Room Tip: If possible, choose the room far away from the entrance door on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Seven W
Larry J, General Manager at Ohio House Motel, responded to this review, November 27, 2016
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I assure you that this has been addressed by proper management. We truly appreciate your feedback!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
McGregor, Iowa
Reviewed May 23, 2014

The motel is located close to everything in Chicago. We were within walking distance to Water Tower Mall, Magnificant Mile, Navy Pier, and the subway for Wrigley Field. The only negative thing, was the temperature of the room. It is regulated at the front desk, so it was warmer than I like. The room was clean and people were friendly. I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Vicki M
Thank you so much for your review of The Ohio House Motel. It sounds like you really enjoyed our neighborhood and took advantage of all that it had to offer! You really can walk to everything from here. I hope that you enjoyed your time here in Chicago, and that we can welcome you back sometime soon.
Oak Lawn, Illinois
Reviewed May 13, 2014

The pictures of the smoking room doesn't look anything like the room. The room smelled like old gym socks. The housekeepers did not speak english very well to comprehend what I was asking so it added to my frustration. I would never pay that much money again to stay in a dirty motel room.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments. We apologize for not meeting your expectations. As a rule, our housekeeping department is extremely diligent in making sure that our guest rooms are absolutely clean and fresh.
I will review your comments with our executive housekeeper, and reinforce our policies regarding room cleanliness and attention to detail.
Reviewed May 6, 2014

This is my third stay at the Ohio House and I will continue to stay there for my Chicago visits. While my colleagues were spending 2 or 3 times for their hotels, the Ohio House allows me to save a bunch of money and still enjoy all Chicago has to offer. It's not fancy and for less than 150 per night in Chicago, don't expect it. BUT, the rooms were clean, comfortable with a small fridge and microwave and free wi fi. I didn't have a car, but there's free parking too! Nice staff too!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Albert M
Larry J, General Manager at Ohio House Motel, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Hello, Albert.
Thank you for your kind words! You hit our goal right on the head, for our guests to enjoy a clean comfortable stay at the Ohio House while saving their money for the finest Chicago has to offer!
See you soon!
Reviewed May 6, 2014

If this hotel were located anywhere else, the price would be laughable. But because it's only a mile from the miracle mile, it's reasonable. Ohio House not a big chain, and it shows. The mattress we had, sagged to the middle, and the temperature had to be controlled by the main desk. My girlfriend and I didn't stay in the room, except to sleep. If you plan on lounging in the room, look elsewhere. But if you're using this room as a place to shower and sleep, Ohio House is a passable hotel.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Globe_trottin_Polak
Thank you for staying with us.
I can assure, these issues have been resolved.
We look forward to your next stay!
Reviewed May 5, 2014

My husband and I spent a weekend at the Ohio House and attended a game at Wrigley Field. What a terrific find this motel is! Our room was as clean as any place we have ever stayed and when we opened the door our car was 20 feet away. Parking is free and no limits on in and out. We easily walked to Michigan Avenue and to the subway stop that took us right to Wrigley. What more could you want? I imagine you have to reserve early to get a room here because there isn't a better deal anywhere.

Room Tip: I can't imagine there are any bad rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Onnieon
Larry J, General Manager at Ohio House Motel, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you for staying with us! It was a pleasure to see you! Tell all of your friends, and Go Cubs!
This could be the year!
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Doesn't exactly ooze street appeal in my opinion - but everything else makes up for it. I wanted to stay longer but was all booked up sadly. Located on the fringe of the CBD - but still a great location and well priced for the location. Modern, comfortable room, and wifi worked well. There are places close by to eat - walking distance for breakfast and dinner. Staff were friendly. Would recommend to any visitor going to Chicago.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank JK1791
Thank you for visiting with us during your stay!
After all, they say it's what's inside that counts and to us that means it's all about the service!