“A clean, secure roof over your head.”
Review of Ohio House Motel

Ohio House Motel
Ranked #131 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The Ohio House Motel looks kind of seedy when you first see it but looks are deceiving. It is a great bargain in a great location in a city where hotel rooms are grossly overpriced. Our room was somewhat old and dated but the bed was comfortable and the bedding looked new. The bathroom was clean and there was a microwave and small refrigerator in the room. Free wi-fi in the room was a great perk. No flat screen TV but the old style TV with HBO worked just fine. But one great feature of the Ohio House is the security. Each group of about 6 rooms has their own entry card secured hallway. Unlike most motels that have a main hallway that all guests have access to, only you and maybe 5 other guests have access to the hallway area your room is in. I had a first floor room in the back and it was very quiet. Finally, the free parking is a great reason to stay here. In Chicago, most hotels charge $40-$60 per day to park your car! The Ohio House had plenty of parking and we just left our car there and took cabs around the city until we were ready to leave. The Ohio House is not fancy but when my wife and I travel around the world, all we look for is a clean, secure roof over our heads and the Ohio House meets those requirements nicely. I wouldn’t want to do and extended stay here but for short term, if you can do without the glitz of an overpriced Chicago hotel, save some dough to spend on more important things and stay at the Ohio House.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Retired1811
Larry J, General Manager at Ohio House Motel, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2016

Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to share a bit about your experience here at The Ohio House Motel. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in Chicago, and that your guest room was a comfortable place for you to relax and refresh. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back sometime soon!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

The best thing about this motel is location, location, location. Right in the middle of Chicago. We walked to the Knickerbocker, Michigan ave. dinner, drinks and a late night McDonald run. Great location. The motel is older, but very clean. The staff was very friendly. the staff was also very good about pointing us in the right directions for all things. Bonus it has free parking!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BAM1990

Dear Guest. Thank you for your positive comments. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! I hope your next stay is just around the corner. Call us if there is anything we can help you with.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Wonderful location in the heart of Chicago, worth it. Very friendly staff, was happy with our choice. The parking was a bonus because every other place were charging a fortune for parking but here it was inclusive so the total cost was reasonable. I would stay here again because the location is worth every penny, there is so much to do.

Room Tip: We had a good room just above reception. Felt very safe!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andy M
Larry J, General Manager at Ohio House Motel, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2016

Dear Guest. I appreciate your positive feedback about our hotel. We do take pride in catering to our guests’ needs the best way we can. If you’re traveling to our area gain soon, don’t hesitate to call us.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I searched for quite a while for a hotel in Chicago that wasn't too far from everything but still affordable. This hotel definitely fit the bill. It has free parking, which is a huge bonus. The staff was very nice and helpful. The room was small, but that wasn't really a problem since I was only using it for sleep. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank AmyMMc

Thank you for your excellent review of The Ohio House Motel! I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. We truly appreciate your feedback and I can assure you that it will be passed along to the appropriate departments. Please come back and see us again sometime!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed here on a layover while passing through Chicago a few months ago. I don't look for amenities when choosing a hotel in another city since my view is that if I'm visiting another city I want to get out and see the city rather than the inside of a hotel room. I look for three basic things in hotels, location, cleanliness and price. The Ohio House provided all three.

The location was within walking distance or a short cab ride to many of our destinations, (House of Blues, waterfront, Union station); there were good restaurants nearby; and even an attached café that was, like the hotel itself, basic but clean and good. The hotel was aged and basic but well kept and clean. And the price was far below that of any other hotel in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Medicgord

Thank you so much for your review of The Ohio House Motel. It sounds like you really enjoyed our neighborhood and took advantage of all that it had to offer! You really can walk to everything from here. I hope that you enjoyed your time here in Chicago, and that we can welcome you back sometime soon.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I felt so comfortable at the Ohio House!!! They took great care of a very large group with loud mopeds and hooligans partying all night long. Close to downtown and some great restaurants right around the corner... highly recommended!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nina K

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Close to the Magnificent Mile, Navy Pier and public transportation my family slept here for an overnight. Worth every penny and very convenient to Hard Rock Cafe and other favorite destinations. The room could have been a little cleaner, but the bed was ok and we brought our own extra pillows. I recommend bringing your own towels. Clean, but not fluffy as you'd expect in a motel versus hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Laura L

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I assure you that this has been addressed by proper management. We truly appreciate your feedback!