“Lovely hostel, great location”

and 1 more site!
The Chicago Parthenon Hostel
Ranked #18 of 60 Specialty Lodging in Chicago
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed in a double room at the Parthenon Hostel in October 2008, room was very nice, and as we were on a budget, it was cheap and affordable.
We were greeted with a smile and a drink at the bar which was nice after a long journey.

It was a shame that the room next to us was occupied by a large group of chinese travellers who had no idea how much noise they were making and that there were other people in the hostel wanting to use the shower rooms... but i suppose we just had a bad experience with other residents.

The hostel was in a great loaction and the staff were very helpful with where to go for food and places to visit etc.

I'd reccomend a visit to Millenium Park and the Chicago River.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sam M

Reviewed November 12, 2012

We were 2 friends in Chicago for 2 nights. It is incredibly easy to get to from the airport (cta blue line train to the street) and the greyhound and amtrak bus stations. The neighbourhood is safe, full of cafes and restaurants and a supermarket, so really convenient for us. we walked into downtown chicago in about 20 mins. The rooms are perfectly fine, spartan (hahaha) but the bedding is made up and included in the price. Free wifi big plus. NOTE some earlier reviews have said there is no communal space, this HAS CHANGED there is a lounge with a couple of sofas , table, computer, but true it isn't very big. The staff at the time were very friendly and they've got a very safe front door now (some people complained in earlier reviews). They provide maps, breakfast was great, the owner could do with not standing in the room. For a longer stay maybe I'd have liked somewhere with a proper communal kitchen and a bit nosier, but this was perfect if you wanted to rest and get to places quickly.No lockers but they would look after your bags for a dollar each. Free soap in showers big help to light travellers! hope this helped, I would stay again

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sophia G
Reviewed October 16, 2012

When we arrived, there was a slight mix up with the type of room that we had requested, but the staff were very helpful and friendly and sorted it out right away! We were allowed to check in early - at 9am rather than 3pm - and because we were so early, they told us to help ourselves to the free breakfast even though we hadn't paid for the night before.
The room was clean and spacious, and definitely worth the money. The only complaint would be that one of the beds was on wheels, and so it moved every time you did, but we learned to live with that! The room was air conditioned, which was a massive plus, and the bathrooms were also very good - although there were no locks on the showers.
The location is brilliant, and I would fully recommend the hostel!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Livvy327
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Ok so i stayed @ the Parthenon. As other reviewers wrote, staff was very helpful when I wanted to get around because I did not have a car. I had a single/private room. My room was across from the mens bathroom, but it still wasn't an issue. I feel like others were respectful and not extremely loud. The room wasn't that appealing but I had no intention of staying in the room during a vacation. One reviewer complained about the bathroom not having a lock when wanting to take a shower. I can see whay that is concerning as the floors are co-ed, but if you want that level of privacy, then you need to check into a hotel. I had no problems and no concerns. It is close to train, buses, a Walgreens, and restaurants. If you want simple and easy, chose the Parthenon, I would stay again.

Room Tip: I would say, get a room away from the street. That means nearer the restrooms and showers. I was on...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 25, 2012

It is a budget hostel with all that this entails. I stayed in a private room, and would do so again. The location is good as it is close to the subway and Union and Greyhound stations. Some other reviews say the area is dodgy. I didn't think so and never felt threatened. Some good bars around here too.

Showers are good, but the bathrooms are small. I didn't have a problem having a shower or whatever when I needed. At some point you will see someone else naked though.

The breakfast is OK. Cereal, fruit, toast, hardboiled eggs etc. It's annoying that the kitchen is down the street, but it's not the first time I've encountered this.

A general tip for travelling in N. America: sales tax isn't always included and in Chicago this is 16%. This was a surprise for me.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank T_P186460
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I can't say I was overly shocked by this establishment when we checked in, but I did hope that people were exaggerating. They weren't. About the only nice things I can say for it are the staff are friendly and helpful, and the 'free' continental breakfast is nice - if you last that long.

We stayed on a Sunday night and the mid afternoon walk from Union Station to the guest house wasn't too bad. But even at 4pm there were a number of police cars circling the block and some sketchy figures loitering around. By evening however things looked much worse. Seedy at best. We needed to do washing, and discovered that the laundry is actually in the building across the street (311) - a basement that also housed rats (dead ones from what we saw) and a nest of ants on the bench you're supposed to fold your clothes on. Charming. The kitchen facilities are also several doors away (in 318), we didn't bother making the half block hike, choosing instead to try our luck with the local Greek restaurants (check out Athena's if you get the chance!).

We booked a private room and it was actually quite okay. Small, but clean and the bed covers were newish. The bathrooms however, that was another shock. The womens bathroom has two toilets, neither of which can you shut the door without performing some bodily contortions as the the space from the end of the 'bowl' and the door is about 1 inch (I'm not joking here), and the two showers although work fine and the hot water was great, open into the main bathroom which is over looked by the door into a main hallway - no privacy at all! The breakfast the next morning was acceptable, but limited - cereal and toast, hardboiled eggs if you want.

If we ever go to Chicago again, I'll gladly pay the $$ and stay in a proper hotel, I don't mean any offence, but don't stay here, it's not worth it.

Room Tip: Go stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MoonRiverTravelsUK
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Hotel is clean - room and bathroom were more than we were expected from an hostel
Breakfast was basic but enough (continental style)
Service was just fair not too helpfull knowing that we have to climb 2 levels of stairs with stroller/car seat/luggages and others.
Neighborhood was ok nice restaurants around
Subway is very close and downtown is at walking distance

Only BUT is that saturday night the restaurant downstairs is also a night club it was like having the DJ on our room up to 3AM in the morning - The hotel service told me that they can do nothing if I am really unhappy I can call the police :s - Other nights were ok, Just better to know if you have a room on the street like us (215) on a saturday night :)

Room Tip: Don't choose a room on the street like us (215) on a saturday night :) except if you are planni...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family