“lovely place to stay”

The Chicago Parthenon Hostel
Ranked #19 of 60 Specialty Lodging in Chicago
Reviewed November 24, 2011

i spent 5 nights at AAE parthenon hostel with my boyfriend and my stay there were very good. the private room was small with two twin beds but it was clean and enough for us. the frontdesk staff are helpful. i didn't have enough cash at the first night when i checked in but they let me pay that money on the next day. the best thing that i liked it here is that the cleaness of the bathroom. Sharing a bathroom in a hostel is quit inconvience but i didn't feel that way when i were here, it was cozy, dry and clean all the time. And the location is great, 20 minutes walk from the highight of the city and it is just very very near from the Station. i would come back to stay here again if i have chance to visit Chicago. Love this city.

Room Tip: + Bring soap, shampoo by yourself. + Ask for making up the room if you stay long, otherwise they wi...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 28, 2011

I (49 yr old woman) travelled to Chicago for a long weekend with my 11 yr. old son. We arrived at Union Station on the train and walked to the hostel with no trouble. We found the staff to be very nice and helpful. The lack of elevator did not surprise me but that didn't make it any easier to climb 3 flights!
Our private room (2 beds) was very clean and close to the shared bathrooms which were also extremely clean. The inc. breakfast was basic: Coffee, tea, juice, cereal, bread (toaster) and hard boiled eggs.
Although the neighborhood is probably not one of the nicest, it is in Greektown and was surrounded by nice restaurants and interesting shops. My son and I had no problems outside, on the street. The Metro stop was VERY close.
I highly reccomend this hostel for families traveling on a budget!

Room Tip: If you are in a group of 4-8, they have some "Ensuite Rooms" that sound like a great deal...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mariec282
Reviewed September 26, 2011

We stayed in a private double room which was fine, just a room with a bed and a chest of drawers. There were shared bathrooms which were clean and always had warm water. There was free internet access in the common room and always other travellers to talk to. There was a free breakfast of cereal, boiled eggs, fruit and toast. The location was only 10 mins to union station but further away from other attractions. No alcohol was allowed on the premises but there were a few bars on the same street in Greektown. If you are making your own meals there is a small kitchen with a microwave but you can use a large kitchen with cooker that you can have access too.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Omi_Maj
Reviewed August 5, 2011

First i was extra charged because I paid with a credit card. If I knew that with cash I would have saved money I would have carried cash. They should inform clients of extra charge BEFORE. Then my room (single private) was really small, I was able to open my luggage but there was no space left inside the room. No service in the room for the period of stay.
Restrooms (all shared) are inadequate. No lift available (I had to go back and forth to carry my luggages into the room at secondo floor) and the entire structure is old and noisy. The good thing is that is very close to metro and to Greyhound terminal (walking distance). Breakfast is included in the fee but starting from 7:30 a.m. I lost a breakfast because I left earlier for the day.
My opionion is for the service offered (truly a Hostel) the price is excessive (187 dollars for 2 nights instead of 155 even if I booked with 3 months notice. Local tax excluded and extra fee for credit card excluded).

Room Tip: Avoid choosing this Hostel.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank silvio64
Reviewed July 30, 2011

I was in this hostel for 2 nights. The staff is nice, friendly and helpful. But unfortunately my sister droped off a packed and gave it to the staff. She asked them to give it to me during my checkin. They didn't. After she told me that they have this packed for me I asked them, but it wasn't there anymore. So they gave me a bag with some sweets, crackers and water for mybe 2 dollars, that was it. I still can't believe it... in the packed was way more than this...
In the morning they had a bad breakfast with toast, jam, eggs, orange juice and that was almost all.
I spent the 2 nights with my boyfriend in a room, we didn't had to share this room. Everything was clean and the bed comfortable.
We will not return to this hostel because of the issue with the stolen packed. Actually it could be worse, but the redress was more than bad!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank happyskeletti
Reviewed July 23, 2011

The AAE Chicago Parthenon Hostel was a relatively new and clean place to stay. The front desk staff were all great and welcoming people for my first ever trip to Chicago. The price was a little steep for a hostel but I guess it comes with the territory. I came here with my brother so we could spend some time together since I was always away from home.

Firstly, the location was excellent. It was within walking distance to the Loop which was an experience in and of itself!

The hostel came with free wi-fi which was also a big plus. It wasn't the fastest, but I was there to see the city, not play computer games or whatever so it was all I needed.

The staff at the hostel were very pleasant and great people to ask for help about the city or just to have a quick chat. They all loved their city and provided valuable insight as to what to do and where to go to have a good time.

There was breakfast available and it was standard fare for all hostels so no problems there.

There was a big downside to this hostel and that this was the fact that my brother and I stayed here during a heatwave without a working air conditioning system in the rooms. I heard that they had air conditioning but it was left off because many travellers were opening their windows. I don't know if that was true or not but if so, then how hard would it be to put signs on each floor saying that the air conditioning is on and in order to make the stay a pleasant experience, the windows should be left closed?

Also, I needed to make a local phone call to a friend in the city but was told by the owner that they allow only for incoming calls but not for outgoing. He did tell me to call from a payphone about a block away. I found that strange since I've stayed in hostels in Europe, North Africa and the Middle East and if I needed to make a quick (as in, under 2-3 minutes) local phone call, there wouldn't be a problem but this owner (elderly gentleman) seemed to have a problem with it. Not sure why.

So overall, a decent stay but something has to be done with the air conditioning in the rooms. I got a great insight to this great city!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank sheibans
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We travelled to Chicago to see the St. patricks day parade. We chose the Panthenon Hostel because it was the cheapest option but still very expensive.
It is a hostel, so you can not expect too much, I know. But our room had a downward gradient, was not so clean, same as the shared bathrooms.
We want to go again to Chicago during summer but this time we will not stay here, even if we are still students and looking for a cheap accomodation.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends