“Very clean hotel at good location, and low rates”
Review of Central Loop Hotel

Central Loop Hotel
Ranked #97 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed September 8, 2012

This was one of the cleanest hotels I've ever stayed in. I was very impressed.

Both the room and the bathroom were spacious which was a pleasant surprise - usually hotels in older buildings have small rooms. However, all rooms are single (i.e. only one bed) so it's probably not very convenient for families.

The staff were polite and helpful. They even provided me with a spring scale to weigh my luggage before leaving for the airport.

The wi-fi connection had a strong signal (and it was free!).

I didn't have breakfast at the hotel, but did have an enjoyable dinner and drinks at the Elephant & Castle pub. Typical fare, tasty and the beer was good.

The location is very convenient for public transportation (both subway and buses) and close to museums, the Millennium Park and shopping. The area is generally safe, though it can get rather deserted late on weeknights which may make some people uncomfortable.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 6, 2012

The Central Loop Hotel's location is fantastic. Right in the heart of downtown Chicago.

The rooms are on the smaller side but I was traveling for a business trip by myself so it was completely fine. There was a sign in the lobby that said there were one-bedroom suites available for a $25 upgrade charge.

Check in and check out are independently and quickly done via machines. Large lobby on the basement level that has computers, a printer for boarding passes, a coffee machine, work spaces, comfy chairs - really is a great space for business travel.

Starbucks right next door. Elephant & Castle restaurant located in the lobby. Walgreens two blocks away.

Cold, filtered water provided in the hallways on each floor. They do provide bottles if you don't have one.

They provide Gilchrist & Soames toiletries (though only shampoo, no conditioner which irks me).

Overall, great business travel experience.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed here in early June on a business trip. No problem with the self check in, however, I ended up with an Accessible room which I did not need. Room was on the small side with a very small window that really did not get any light during the day due to the location of taller buildings around it. Room was clean but definite signs of wear and markings; could have used a coat of paint. Very little noise from other rooms. Water bottles with filtered water dispensers in the halls were very convenient. I ended up never needing to buy water on the trip. Staff was friendly and only had a few minor issues with valet once never being informed to get the car (the cars are parked offsite so when they say give them 20 minutes for your car, give them at least 20 minutes notice) and housekeeping not coming once when requested. Matters were taken care of in the end so not a big inconvenience. Starbucks right next door was nice. Restaurant on site is OK, pretty average pub fare but drinks were strong. Hotel location is convenient to art museum, parks and shopping all within walking distance. Overall stay was OK.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We had a great room located at the corner of 2 streets so we had 2 walls almost entirely window and with the view. Not bad since we only booked it 2 days ahead. There is vallet parking at the hotel and you'll need it, no place to park your car there. They are very nice and offer great service. You have everything within walking distance, beds are comfortable and big. Room itself is small and so is the bathroom but it's all in good shape and clean.

Room Tip: Rooms on the corner of the streets offer great views and because of the windows make them look bigge...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GvP13
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Maybe it was my fault for not booking earlier because this small room was not worth $250.00 for the night. I didn't have a choice so I took a chance. The reception desk people were very attentive and friendly. Found the room quickly and upon checking out the bathroom noticed coffee stains in the shower base and bathroom floor. I called immediately and someone came up within 5 minutes to clean it. A few squirts here and there of not sure what it was and off he went. I thought I had a room that was going to be noisy in the hallway but it was fine no noise and I was very glad about that because I had an exhausting day. The bed had pressed sheets crisp yet soft and clean with a down like comforter. The bed was extremely comfortable. No extra washcloths though they give you one so if you need more you have to call for more. They serve coffee in the lobby and lower lobby which I found in the morning no breakfast food offered. The lower lobby was a nice area for business people if you had work to do on the computer or needed to spread out. I'm still bothered on how much I spent to stay there and probably won't return.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank boynegirl2400
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I stayed at the Central Loop Hotel with my 5-year-old daughter, and it was great how walking-close everything was to the hotel. The lobby is small but classy. The kitchenette came complete with fridge, microwave, sink, and a few plates and things you'd never think to pack. The restaurant was convenient and reasonably priced. El stations were close. If I were to return to Chicago, I'd head straight back to this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank juliesglobe
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Had a pleasant stay at this hotel. It was well-located--close to the Art Institute and a block away from the blue line and two blocks from the red line. I left my car at home since I had intended to get around the city by public transportation, so the proximity to the "el" line was a bonus. The staff were friendly and helpful and quickly attended to any concerns. The room was small but the bed was comfortable and the furniture and appointments up-to-date. I would have preferred more closet and drawer space, however. There was a shower but no bath tub--which for me was not a concern as I prefer taking showers anyway. I liked the fact that there was real milk/cream for coffee in the room. Nothing is worse in my view than powdered "creamer". I had a couple of meals at the adjacent English pub. I thought it was well-priced and had good food. Breakfast is not included in the hotel price, but you can have breakfast at the pub for around $10. There is also a Starbucks next door. There were some nice touches--water coolers from which you can fill bottles for personal use (they provide throwaway plastic bottles, which in my view is somewhat ecologically wasteful) and self-serve laundry and laundry supplies at no charge. I needed to store my luggage at the hotel after I checked out and the process was very efficient and convenient. I would definitely consider this hotel the next time I visit this wonderful city.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo