All reviews glass shower deliver towels requested items great location unique hotel coolest hotel cutting edge fun hotel cool decor cool hotel marriott points an iron block from michigan ave room service city view rooms are modern awesome hotel
Reviewed June 10, 2017

Was curious to try this hotel as it was brand new. I would expect Autograph Collection hotels to be top notch. This one disappointed.

What's good:
- Good location (but there are 50 hotels in a five block radius so lots of choice)
- Very friendly front desk staff. Checkin worker was SOOOO nice. Lobby staff overall very friendly.
- tried to do some things differently- like the ability to text requests instead of calling
- Amazon Alexa in room: I spoke "Alexa Ask EMC2 to bring up toothpaste. I forgot mine" In a few minutes a woman came up with toothpaste.
- Robot for deliveries: I was introduced to the robot in the lobby. Kind of was hoping it would bring me my toothpaste, but alas it was a human.

The bad:
- Room is pretty small. more of a NYC sized room than Chicago. Was quite cramped. And I had an upgraded room (Queen room on 19th floor)
- I hate the bathroom setup- all open, with the shower stall literally in the CENTER of the whole room. I just do not get the appeal of theses shower stalls in the middle of rooms with clear glass. Privacy issues aside (they have a huge blue curtain), I just don't want to stare at a shower stall while I'm relaxing. And, the steam from the shower got out to the whole room.
- On top of that, shower pressure was not great
- Alexa was a cute addition but often was inaccurate. I asked "What is the address of this hotel? And it responded " 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC" I tried multiple times and it gave me the same address. HUH?
-Perhaps the worst design choice was that the grate for the heater/AC was IN the desk surface- this resulted in air blowing up from the desk surface- can't put papers there and it was right on the wires of my laptop. It also made the usable surface of the desk very narrow. Also the heating unit is there under the desk so it reduces your legroom.
- The In Room Dining menu, at least at breakfast, is EXTREMELY limited. Maybe 6 to 8 choices- no bacon and eggs, no waffles. Very limited breakfast choices. I ended up going out to Yolk a few blocks away.
- Could not figure out how to turn off the side light on the vanity, so I had to pull the big blue curtain around the bathroom each night.
- Another bizarre and large piece in the room is a megaphone on a tall rod- turns out you're supposed to put your phone in a little slot and it amplifies the sound (not electronically- literally just via a megaphone) to play music. But, the amplification was minimal- hardly noticeable vs. just playing on the phone speaker. Total waste of space- cutesy idea that didn't play out.

Overall you can see they put a lot of creativity in to the place and some are cute (the magnifying glasses on the door numbers for instance) but many are just inconvenient.

Would not come back here.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
4  Thank JPMTRAVELLER
Reviewed June 10, 2017 via mobile

Good and modern hotel all computerized with controls in the bedroom. Good experience. Well located. Near Michigan st and loop Chicago . I'll go again.
It's price is competitive for hotels near by. 350 per night

Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank joserY1203OA
Allyson M, Front Office Manager at Hotel EMC2, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2017

Jose R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at Hotel EMC2. We are glad to hear you liked the technology in the room and the location of the hotel. Being just steps off Michigan Avenue makes us a great spot to enjoy the city.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed June 10, 2017

I'd read about this new hotel celebrating the mathematician Emmy Noether. Finding myself in Chicago two weeks after it opened, I booked myself a room for a night. It did not disappoint. Great location. Lots of unique touches and attention to detail everywhere, including real physics textbooks and equations on the walls. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The room was modern, comfortable and quiet. I'd recommend this for anyone looking for something different.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank boraxbabu
Allyson M, Front Office Manager at Hotel EMC2, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2017

Boraxbabu,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay and we thank you for staying with us as one of our first guests! Our hotel celebrates art and science through many creative ways. I am so glad you appreciated our tribute to Emmy Noether. We are proud of our unique design and that you were able to see all of the textbooks we feature in the hotel and restaurant.

We look forward to your next return to Hotel EMC2.

Reviewed June 10, 2017

I stayed at the EMC2 a few days after it had opened and enjoyed our stay there. The hotel is small and intimate with a very cool art and science theme. We like the room - with the full exposure shower - very different from your traditional Marriott hotel. Make sure to check out Leo and Cleo - the robot service staff.

We enjoyed the breakfast in the restaurant - food was very fresh and staff was delightful.

We will stay at this gem of a hotel on our next visit to Chicago. Great location for downtown.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marty G

Marty G,

Our team was so happy to read your feedback about your stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. The hotel inspires our guests through art and science in many forms and is truly exactly like nothing else. I am happy you were able to meet Leo & Cleo and enjoy a meal in The Albert. With our central location is great to explore all parts of Chicago.

Please reach out to me directly should your travels bring you back to Chicago. We would love to welcome you back for another inspiring stay!

Reviewed June 7, 2017 via mobile

In full disclosure this is the 3rd Marriott property where I have stayed very early after opening and this property does not fail to exceed expectations. I been in Marriott properties around the world and stayed in all their different property types.

From the moment you enter the door the place seems comfortable and inviting. The room is an excellent blend of comfort, tech and ambiance. This is an excellent hotel for the business traveler or a couple. The bar and all of the service was excellent and the selection of spirits top notch. (Thanks Mike for the great drinks!) The food menu was innovative and quite good and far from the menu of a normal Marriott.

If you want a different kind of a hotel with a very upbeat and completely different vibe and need a break from the norm this is the place. Visit soon as this hotel will be filling up every week.

Trip type: Traveled on business
2  Thank trvler1257

Trvler1257,

I am so excited to read your feedback about how we exceeded your expectations! Thank you for joining us as one of our first guests. I am glad you enjoyed a unique cocktail from The Albert! Mike is very happy to read your remarks! We cannot wait to welcome you back to Hotel EMC2 for another inspiring visit.