“Fantastic Hotel in downtown Chicago”
Review of Hotel Felix

Hotel Felix
Ranked #116 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 28, 2010

Stayed at Hotel Felix June 22 - June 25 for business trip.

Hotel Lobby and ammenities-
I was very impressed by the overall decor and ambience of the hotel. It's very trendy and pleasant. There is a spa, fitness room, and business center with 3 desktops. I used a spa one evening for ashi massage. It was good, not the best, but I did enjoy it. You get $20 off coupon when you check in. So, the price was reasonable. There is also a restaurant Elate adjacent to the hotel. I went there for breakfast and dinner. All I have to say - WOW. Omelete was unbelievable, the best I've ever had, and trout in the evening didn't disappoint. Be prepared to spend at least $20 for breakfast and $50 for dinner. But it was well worth it.

Rooms -
Even though many people stated that rooms were small, I found them to be just perfect. After all, you don't go to downtown Chicago to spend your time in the hotel. That said, I can see how it could be tight for 2 people considering there is not much closet space but there are drawers under the bed so that's a big plus. Flat screen TV, free HBO, and free wi-fi is in every room. The bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was very big and finally, no tub. I loved the shower. Very contemporary decor, with light and dark colors and no more of that casino green/red/yellow carpeting. A couple of minor setbacks - bathroom sink was very shallow, virtually no room for hands under the faucet. With respect to cleanliness, the only reason I gave it a 4 was due to the fact that black carpeting tends to attract dirt and I could see some dirt scattered near the elevator doors.

Hotel Staff / Valet -
The hotel staff was super friendly. It took only a couple of minutes to check in / check out. Valet guys were always ready to assist. One suggestion, contact valet staff 15 to 20 min prior of needing your car. Otherwise, you may get frustrated waiting for it. The parking lot they use is 5 blocks away from the Hotel Felix. The cost is $42 per day with in and out privileges. I first thought of using adjacent parking lots but it didn't make sense due to only $2 to $5 difference in price.

Final toughts -
Considering the location, decor, ammenities, and friendliness of the staff, I highly recommend travelers to give this hotel a try.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank deych00
There are newer reviews for Hotel Felix

Reviewed June 26, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a long week-end, and unfortunately I was sick. I was grateful to be staying in a nice hotel with a very comfortable bed and soft sheets. I loved the decor of the lobby and the room but it was rather cramped space. The location was good within walking distance to many restaurants and pubs and a whole foods grocery down the street. I didn't like that in order to get a cup of coffee in the morning you had to actually go into the nice restaurant. I need the cup of coffee to get ready in the a.m. I don't want to have to dress and be presentable just to get my jaffa. We also ordered room service one day which was good. The hotel staff didn't seem very approachable either. For the right price, I would stay here again, but would look for other options first. Loved the decor though!

Reviewed June 25, 2010

We arrived and Benjamin met us out front. He was great and the rest of our stay was great. Benjamin greeted us as we got out of the car and took control of the rest of our check in - he took care of our car, our luggage, walked us to the front desk, and made sure we knew he wanted to help with any issues. The next morning, Benjamin wasn't on duty, but his replacement was just as helpful and competent.

As for the room, it was comfortable and clean. The bed was the most comfortable of any hotel we have stayed in. The free high speed worked fine. The location is not on Michigan Ave, but the 6 block walk was quick, and many amenities are even closer. Best of all, the scale in the nicely equipped fitness center weighed us 5 pounds lighter.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank dwodebit
Reviewed June 21, 2010

At the last minute (1 day notice)we booked a 4 star hotel on Priceline. This was our first time trying Priceline. When we were told our hotel was The Felix, we were very upset----not at the hotel, but at the location. We almost didn't go and were ready to lose the money.

Well, Sat. night in Chicago won out. What a surprise we had. Yes, the location is 5-6 blocks from where we would like to be. Yes, it is an old building and doesn't look like a 4 star hotel. We were ready to hate everything.

Then we pulled up and the doormen took over. These guys were better than any 5 star hotel. Tim & Benjamin won us over. Very, very friendly, they had us parked at a reasonable rate and on our way to the desk. Again, extremely friendly , efficient staff, and our room was ready.

After all the negative comments we were ready for the worst. Wrong again. The building is old but totally renovated. It was 90 degrees outside, but very cool all over the lobby, halls and in our room.

Yes, the room is really small, but we travel in Europe every year----you haven't seen small! Also, we are not a fan of modern decor, but this was delightful. Everything was so new and clean. About the bed-----one of the best we have ever had in a hotel, extremely comfortable. We did not have glasses in the room, but when we asked they were there in 5 min. Housekeeping, top knotch.

Off we went to see Chicago on foot. It was a bit of a hike up to Michigan Ave. but doable and there were many restaurants, bars, and music within walking distance of the hotel. I think we took a cab twice.

Now it was 8pm on a Sat. night and we had no dinner reservations. Benjamin, the doorman, suggested a few places within a few blocks and we headed out. Yikes! Every place was packed and had people waiting in line outside. Back to The Felix. Benjamin made a few calls and got us in Sullivan's Steak House a few blocks away.

This was the highlight of our adventure. Absolutely perfect! Fantastic room, food, and service.It will definitely go on our "best restaurant" list. Thank you, Benjamin!

So, would we stay at The Felix again? Yes, depending on the price. Because of the small rooms, a 1 or 2 night stay is very doable. Probably wouldn't stay there longer only because of the size of the rooms. Also this property is not child-friendly at all, but would be great for the 20-30 yr.olds who would like to hit the bars and music scene.

Reviewed June 18, 2010

My daughter and I stayed here June 9 and 10. The location is decent; you are close to the red line train and not too far off of Michigan Ave. There are numerous restaurants very close (1-3 minute walk). The self parking lot is right across the street and was easy to use. Bring cash for that ($35 per night - I've made other plans for next time). Our room had 1 queen bed and it was a small room. The space was well designed, though, and we felt comfortable. The fitness center was decent: 2 treadmills with televisions, some small weights, and some ellipticals. The room was very quiet. The wireless internet is free, but it was very unreliable when we were there. The hotel was very clean. The staff was extremely competent and friendly. The maid did the best job of any maid ever. We got an extremely good deal on this hotel. The one questionable policy is that hybrids park free (the hotel is very green). My vehicle gets better mileage than numerous hybrid models.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2010

We recently stayed at Hotel Felix in Chicago. We booked our hotel through a popular on line "hotel and travel discount site"......We have used this site before with moderate success but this was a disaster.

Hotel Felix is listed all on sites as a 4 Star... there is no way this is a 4 star hotel. The rooms are tiny! The entire hotel in Tiny. Our room was no more than 10 x 12 feet. opening the door you stumbled onto the bed! Besides the size of the rooms there is no 24/hr room service. No coffee machine in the rooms. The resturant in independant of the hotel and has strange hours. Asking for wine glasses on arival, you would think we asked to be upgraded!!!! I could go on and on but needless to say. If you have an option. Dont stay at this hotel.

Reviewed June 16, 2010

Used priceline to book and got a great rate in comparison to other river north hotels. Was a bit apprehensive about this hotel based on other reviews and comments about room size. It was on the smaller side but I've been in smaller and paid more! The room was clean the decor trendy and the bed was very comfortable. Each of the staff members we came in contact were helpful and friendly. The staff at the front entrance especially! We would definately return to the Hotel Felix.

1  Thank lmwally