“Better than I expected”

Hotel Felix
Ranked #121 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 2, 2010

Very clean room, comfortable bed, great great front desk employees ( especially Konrad and Pablo), they were extremely helpful. Only drawback- rooms are very very small and if you want to upgrade from a queen to a king or two doubles, it will cost you extra. A little far off Mich Ave, but good for walking... Try Yolk for breakfast

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,654)

Reviewed May 26, 2010

I stayed here for a weekend with my wife after a week long business trip (where I was at another hotel downtown). Overall, I've stayed in about 10 different downtown Chicago hotels over the past 5 or 10 years, so I'm using other stays as comparison in this market.

I can say without hesistation - these were the smallest rooms of any of the hotels I've stayed in Chicago. It's described in previous reviews - but a run of the house room here is 1 queen bed, drawers underneath the bed, a couple of feet on each side of the bed and flat screen mounted the wall (a tiny desk and nightstand round out the furniture in the room). The closest doesn't have doors and can't fit a suit case. I've seen rooms in NYC bigger than these! Strangely enough, the bathroom was actually pretty spacious compared to the room itself.

On the positive side - room was super clean, bed was comfortable, no complaints about service (bad or good), everything went smooth. It's an easy walk from here anywhere downtown. If you just need a place to sleep and shower, this is perfect. if you want a room to spend more than a couple of waking hours in, this is a pretty clausterphobic.

I know size usually isn't a criteria for star ratings, but I would think this should be rated a 3 star rather than 4 star if you start comparing this to places like the Fairmount, Westin, etc.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2010

Yes, the room is on the small side.
Yes, the room is posh and comfortable.
Yes, the hotel is GREEN.
Yes, I'd absolutely recommend this hotel for a couple.
Went for anniversary--hotel smelled of flowers and candles.
Great decorations and luxury for such a bargian price.
Awesome location in the Gold Coast.
Beautiful restaraunts right outside door.
Awesome hotel for the $.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2010

The staff at the front desk was less than friendly when we checked in. When we arrived to our room, we were shocked to see how small the room actually was. There was very little hanging room to hang clothing. There was no space for a dresser with drawers. Instead, you must use the drawers beneath the bed if you need drawer space. There was no suitcase stand for our luggage. The only place to put the luggage was under the desk, and it had to be stuffed under there (not very much space). Everything was newly renovated and clean. However, this room was smaller than any hotel room in Manhattan in which I have stayed. We felt very cramped and uncomfortable while trying to move around the room. The bath products were nice. The hotel is about 4 to 5 blocks from all the shopping on Michigan Avenue. The view from our window was hideous (large rusted pipe).

Reviewed May 12, 2010

The title says it all. Staff was helpful with knowledge of the city, rooms were clean, comfy, and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 8, 2010

The service was great and the bed was very comfortable, even though the room was small (we're talking only a couple feet on each side of the queen sized bed - although we got the cheapest room possible for our stay).
Elate - the restaurant on the ground floor of the hotel - is incredible. We ate breakfast and dinner there and everything was absolutely delicious. I would recommend the creme brulee pancakes for breakfast if it is still on the menu when you get there.
The Asha Spa located within the hotel is also really great. We were able to get a couples massage even though we only booked it a few hours in advance. Staff at the spa were very pleasant.
The location is also very close to the Magnificent Mile for shopping. There are lots of great restaurants for all price ranges very close by.

I love that the hotel is so "green" and if I stay here again I will definitely spend a little more to get a larger room that is on a higher floor in the hotel (for a little better view - ours wasn't bad, just not quite the romantic scene we had hoped for).
Overall great experience!

Reviewed May 2, 2010

I've been to Chicago several times now, and have generally been happy with the hotels I've stayed at. This time, I was torn between staying at the Hard Rock again or booking the Hotel Felix. The offer of free Wifi and a relatively inexpensive King size bed was irresistible. Unfortunately, we got neither. We booked through Hotels.com. As usual, when booking through an internet discount site, I felt like we were given one of the worst rooms in the hotel. Our room was directly across from the elevator. Let me mention a few of the positives about the hotel. The rooms are generally quiet (more on the exception to this later) and as mentioned by several other reviewers - impeccably clean. They offer nice H2O bath products, but are very stingy with them. We stayed four nights and were only given one bar of soap for the stay. Although we always tip our cleaning person, it wasn't enough to get her to leave us shampoo each day. The hotel is conveniently located near many great restaurants. For breakfast we loved Tempo Cafe and Original Pancake house. The doormen were friendly and helpful. Front desk staff not so friendly. We booked a king sized bed, and the person who checked us in ensured that we were getting one, but it was in fact queen-sized. (Maybe he thought we wouldn't notice in the small room). The bed was comfortable. The air quality in the room seemed to be better than in most hotels. Strangely, the room had an ice bucket, but no drinking glasses. Also, there was no coffee maker. One night people in the room next to us came in drunk at 4 am. The woman was sobbing and the man was shouting profanities. I find it hard to believe that their behaviour in the lobby wouldn't have caused some concern with the hotel staff, because they were fighting when they got off the elevator. It would have been nice if someone had intervened before the couple woke up everyone on my floor. We phoned the front desk, and they came up quickly and asked the people to be quiet. The noise continued a bit longer afterward. The hotel did not seem to have any security, and it appeared that people could come and go pretty easily. This brings me to the wifi. If like me you like to stream video on the internet - DON'T stay here. The Hotel Felix has the worst internet service I've had the displeasure to use in a long time. You cannot even watch a video on YouTube. I would much rather PAY for reliable internet than use such an archaic free service.