“Would not recommend this hotel. We were very dissatisfied.”
Review of Hotel Felix

Hotel Felix
Ranked #116 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
South Bend, Indiana
“Would not recommend this hotel. We were very dissatisfied.”
Reviewed November 30, 2009

Stayed this past weekend 11/26 - 11/28 to celebrate one year anniversary. When I booked our stay directly with the hotel, I booked a large King room. $215.00 was the quoted rate. I requested a higher floor room with an east view since the main picture on Hotel Felix Chicago website is a lovely picture of the Chicago skyline including a beautiful view of the John Hancock tower. I was told that everything would be taken care of and we were going to receive a larger King room with a lovely view. We arrived early Friday and we were told that housekeeping was just finishing getting our room ready for us. We were each given a free drink coupon to have a drink in the front lobby small bar/lounge and were told that our bags would be brought up to the room while we waited in the lounge. About 1/2 hour later, we went to our room on the 9th floor (the hotel consists of 12 floors). It was a King room, but when I looked out our window at our view - we were facing South, not East and our view was a paid parking lot and Copperfield's (a liquor store).

The next morning, I spoke with guest services and questioned the room. I was told that we received the same room that a "celebrity" receives when staying. The gentleman, who will remain nameless as I don't want to give names, said that we had been upgraded from room 906 to room 904, which is a larger King room. I still questioned why we didn't receive the East view as promised, and was told that we could have an East view room, but we would be downgrading to a Queen size much smaller room. So, we chose to stay in our room. Following is my complete laundry list review of the hotel:

Here are the problems we found with the hotel:
1.) Given multiple excuses for their lack of service/continuity. The information I received when asking about why we didn't receive the room we were promised, I feel was inadequate and unprofessional. We had breakfast the next morning in their restaurant, "Elate" and I asked for a spoon for my coffee. Our server stated that they were getting ready for lunch set-up and that's why I wasn't given a spoon. We were also told by our server that the restaurant and hotel were in no way connected to each other when we asked about trading up our breakfast vouchers that we paid for to get a better breakfast and pay the difference in cost. He told us that we had to take it up with the hotel because the restaurant and hotel were not connected in any way. The same female that checked us in at the hotel on Friday afternoon was now hostessing in the restaurant on Saturday morning. To me, that seems connected. In addition, the restaurant provides room service for the hotel and gives you the option to bill the room when you dine in the restaurant. To me, that seems connected.
2.) It states that they provide "whisper quiet rooms". That is an inaccurate description. You can hear the t.v., conversations, etc... in the adjacent rooms and in the hallway. I would honestly compare the sound level to staying at a cheap hotel. That's not what you want in a top-star hotel and certainly not what I would classify good when wanting to have a romantic weekend. I would certainly never bring my three-year old son for fear of what he may hear coming from another guest's room.
3.) Storage for your clothing and suitcase is insufficient. There is no suitcase fold-out provided and the tiny closet is poorly designed. There is a tiny built in closet space with a hanging bar that also acts as a curtain rod to close and hide your belongings , but they chose to put a shelf in the middle with a safe on it. There is also a face-out bar below the shelf, but any item you put on it drags on the floor and if you use the top curtain rod to hang on, your items are jammed up against the safe and the shelf and you can't close the curtain. When we walked in our room there was the ironing board just leaned against the wall because there is no where even it can be stored.
4.) The bathroom itself was a decent size, but a very small sink and lack of mirror for two people, and the adjustable shower head is set at a very low height. If you raise the shower head for normal height, the 1/2 length shower curtain causes a tiny flood in the bathroom because it doesn't extend the full length of the bathtub/shower.
5.) When stating luxury comfort bathrobes provided for a room that is booked for 2 adults, we only had one bathrobe in our room. I asked for another and never received it during our 2 day stay. Perhaps there was a shortage of robes.
6.) Pillows - they only offer one size of pillows on the bed and they are quite full and uncomfortable to sleep on. I like a fuller pillow, but could not use their pillows. My fiancee slept pillow-less and I had to try my best to just stay on the edge of the pillow. The next day we spoke to housekeeping directly (to avoid guest services) and she provided us with what seemed to be (2) throw pillows and put them in pillowcases for us so we could sleep. We did appreciate her effort to make us comfortable.
7.) I do not feel that the food in the restaurant "Elate" is consistent. I would recommend their coffee and the Felix burger. (Side note: they don't put cheddar or any other cheese on it if you request it. We did request them to replace the "creamed leeks" with cheddar cheese if possible and it came with nothing). The seasoned fries that come with the burger are good. Their french style omelet with house potatoes is good as well, but the granola, the quiche, the 2 eggs how you want them and the french toast was not enjoyable. I am a trained chef and I was dissatisfied with the quality of the food overall.

When we checked out , our receipt that was given at checkout did not match what Hotel Felix charged our Mastercard. We were charged the upgraded room rate that we didn't request. The hotel also charged us for bottled water that we did not drink in the room. After calling guest services once I returned home and discovered this on my online checking, I have been told that the credit will be made and I should expect it within 2 - 3 business days. I would be sure to obtain a receipt at checkout and make sure you are charged correctly as we were not. They overcharged us $645.00 that we are waiting to be credited to our Mastercard.

Good things about I found about the hotel:
1.) great location - but promise of being "whisper quiet" not fulfilled. Also disregard the photo of the view on the website of this hotel. West side has construction of a large building approximately 20 feet from your window and is completely obstructed.
2.) nice H20 spa products for bathroom (soap, shampoo, conditioner)
3.) Free wi-fi

I would not stay in the hotel again and I would not recommend it. I feel as though they tried to put too many rooms into this hotel when they revamped the building, which doesn't allow for soundproofing. I also feel like we were given far too many excuses for their lack of service.

3 Thank xtine312

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed November 24, 2009

Last month, I stayed at Hotel Felix with my parents and young daughter. The newly renovated hotel boasts cool, modern minimalist decor and floor to ceiling windows in the lobby to witness the young and hip swing their way through the rotating doors. The rooms are beautifully simple, the beds dreamy (as though I was sleeping a giant pillow). Front desk staff were friendly, knowledgable, accommodating (suggesting local restaurants, early check-in). Unfortunately, the young, spacey bartender within the hotel was preoccupied with entertaining her 'cool' personal friends and brushed off numerous attempts of my parents ordering drinks. Lost business....

The adjoining restaurant has a great ambiance similar to the hotel. The evening waitstaff friendly (although a slight bit 'green', he didn't know much about the beer or the premise of the restaurant), the food delicious (their burger with creamed leeks and applewood smoked bacon was one of the best I've ever tasted), the drinks well mixed and strong.

The morning waiter was the only one working the busy breakfast crowd. He was able to handle it well and did a great job. The only downfall was the snotty 'don't-you-know-we're not Starbucks?' reply my friend received upon asking for a vanilla latte. This was soon followed by more high-and-mighty tone of the 'local' and 'organic' products served at the restaurant. I was witness to this the night before, too, sitting at the bar alongside the owner who, from conversation, thinks that 'local' and 'sustainable' make him exclusive and important. For those of us who frequent restaurants not only for great food but for unpretentious service, I would have to think hard if I would patronage this place again for the snotty attitude.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank chasingthelight
Prague, CZ
Reviewed November 24, 2009

We found this hotel via hotwire - aka we took a gamble - and it was great. The room we had was very small (as in tiny), but very clean and nice. Nothing to fancy but you felt very comfortable there. Our greatest need on our 3 night stay was location. And this was located pretty close to the Mile which is what we wanted. I would not have paid their normal prices online as that would have been too much, but if you find a cheap deal then go for it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed November 22, 2009

I had a great rate on this hotel through Travelzoo that was $99 per night and included breakfast for 2 and free parking for my Hybrid vehicle. Parking is normally $42 a night and the breakfast for 2 would have been $22 based on menu prices. You can do the math. The hotel itself was modern and fantastic. Great location, very clean, great service, great restaurant. The only concern for many seems to be the size of the rooms. Yes, they were small, but that was no concern to me and it wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. I slept well there in a clean comfortable bed. I wasn't intending to have a hotel party. For the price I paid, you can't beat it.

North Pole, Alaska
Reviewed November 20, 2009

Great Hotel in the Heart of the River North Area. Rooms are small, but the hotel is worth it if you can get past the room size. It's Chicago, who hangs out in the room anyway?

Great Location within walking Distance to almost all the Major Chicago Sights. Plenty of Restaurants and Bars very close by. Try the Clark St Ale House or Angels and Kings for some great nightlife, both are Literally 1/2 block away for the Hotel.

The Front Desk people were extremely nice and accommodated all our Requests. My GF visited the SPA and had an similarly excellent experience.

We had a amazing Long Weekend at this Hotel and with the "EL" station a very short walk away, Chicagoland was at our Doorstep.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 16, 2009

I've stayed in smaller places but this room really felt cramped for one person. Think cruise ship cabin, SMALL cruise ship cabin. The bed was comfortable but the sheets were very thin and cheap. That was a real disappointment. I would recommend replacing the sheets as soon as possible.

The bathroom was small as well but as a solo traveler it was adequate. I could never imagine staying in this room with another person. Someone won't be coming out alive. Minimal storage but again, as a solo traveler it was adequate.

The neighborhood is very "busy" on weekend nights with lots of screaming and noise coming from the street below. I was on 10 and it was very audible up until about 3 a.m. on Saturday. The restaurant is average for food and poor on service. My waiter took the order and never returned. I left a 5 dollar tip and now regret it. He really didn't deserve it.

My biggest complaint would be the crowd this place draws. They all think they are Paris Hilton and are about as annoying as Paris Hilton. That's if Paris was a large Midwestern girl.

Overall it was a decent place to stay at a decent rate. If you are going to spend a lot of time in the room, stay elsewhere. You'll go stir crazy in these tiny rooms.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank roughout
Morrow, Ohio
Reviewed November 12, 2009

Had to travel to downtown Chicago for business. I wanted something different and in a great location. The Hotel Felix was perfect. It's got a contemporary and "hip" feel to it. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've slept in. The bathroom was large and the shower was a true walk in shower with one of those large "rain shower" heads.

It is a boutique hotel and despite what others have said, the rooms are not tiny or small. I had a room on the 10th floor with a king bed and it was perfect.

ALL of the staff were attentive and extremely helpful.

This is definitely my new "go to" hotel in downtown Chicago. Loved it!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business