“Only a so-so bargain”

GreenLeadersGold level
Birmingham, Michigan, USA
“Only a so-so bargain”
Reviewed October 19, 2009

My husband and I wanted to go to Chicago for the weekend to visit our son, who is attending school there. Most of the downtown hotels were very expensive -- over $300 a night -- so we decided to book through Hotwire. The result was a two-night stay at Hotel Felix. There are several nice things about this hotel, most notably the friendly and helpful staff. The common areas are very nice, and the hotel is clean and well-kept. The location is good -- on the corner of Huron and Clark -- with easy access to the Magnificent Mile and a short cab ride or long walk to the cultural attractions. There are also several shortcomings: the rooms and the bathrooms are the size of postage stamps -- really tiny, with very little space for hanging clothes or sitting to read the paper (one small barrel chair). The clock does not have an illuminated dial, making it difficult to see the time if you happen to wake up some time during the night or early morning. The amenities are second class -- rough toilet paper, meager towels, lousy hair dryer, etc. The Hotwire price for two nights was $488 including tax and related charges, compared to $740 at The Talbott, my favorite Chicago hotel. So the savings is considerable -- enough to cover the outrageous amount we spent for transportation while we were there. Also, the elevators are really small, not adequate for the volume of transport during the busy times of the day. We often had to wait for a second or third elevator. And the wifi didn't work at all. So -- I am not sure I would ever stay there again. It really would depend on how many nights -- for one or two, I would bite the bullet and stay at a nicer place.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tennismom710

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed October 15, 2009

The hotel held itself out as being eco-friendly, "green" but that wasn't really the case. There was no in-room recycling and only one recycling receptacle in in the lobby. The towels were all replaced despite being hung up. The room was teensy and really LOUD. I don't know how they can say the rooms are "whisper quiet" as advertised on the website. Everytime some went in or out of neighboring rooms, it sounded like they were coming in our room. And the other disappointment was that there was a walkin shower, no tub. Positives: nice, modern decor, clean, friendly and helpful staff and nice bathroom amenities.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank chirma

Travelers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Okemos, Augusta, Atlanta, Chicago
Reviewed October 14, 2009

So I booked this hotel through priceline. The price.. about 225.00 a night. A lot ? yes! Especially when I stayed at a hotel for that price nearby with a huge suite. The room was so small, I was nauseated. I felt completely ripped off. The bathroom had a stupid curtain not a door, and the sink was this little tiny thing with low flow. The place was extremely loud. The room would either get hot or cold, and I could hear elevators going up and down. Somebody tried to enter my room on more than one occasion. Thank god for the other locks. I would never stay here again and I warn everyone else looking for a hotel to stay at to stay clear from this disaster.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Moman2000
Washington DC
Reviewed October 7, 2009

Arrived and was greeted immediately at reception. My room was on the 6th floor, and was very nice. The bed and bedding was very comfortable. Directly in front of the bed was a large flat screen LCD Television with cable stations. The bathroom was good size and had everything you needed when you're away from home. The hotel location is ideal. Staff was available when needed too. CTA subway (Red Line) is a few blocks, along with Michigan Ave.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Belfast
Reviewed September 29, 2009

The hotel has an excellent location. Close to Michigan avenue, and about a mile away from the shore, which is good for an outdoor run. The hotel room I stayed in was quite small. There was a double bed which almost took up the entire room, with a small open wardrobe. The hotel did offer free wireless internet access which is always good, especially for business and personal use.

There isnt a restaurant or breakfast area for the hotel, however a restaurant which shares the location with the hotel offers a discounted rate for hotel guests. The bar area and entrance area is quite small.

All in all decent hotel, would stay here again but would say you could probably get a better hotel for the same money.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Greenville, SC
Reviewed September 28, 2009

All of the reviews of this place had me second-guessing my stay at this hotel. I am very picky, so it could have gone either way. When I got there, my mind was put at ease.

We recently stayed at the Felix from Wednesday to Sunday. Check-in was fast and easy. When we finally got to our room, we realized IT WAS NOT AS SMALL AS PEOPLE MAKE IT OUT TO BE. Come on, folks. It's a little smaller than what you'd be used to, but this hotel does not market itself as an extended stay suite with a kitchen. There was plenty enough space for my wife and I in the room. We did not feel cramped at all. If you were a family of 4, you probably wouldn't be as comfortable as we were.

The room itself was well-decorated. My wife likes the modern look, so this was perfect. The bed was EXTREMELY comfortable, especially after those long days on our feet sightseeing. The bathroom was nicely done, too. The H2O amenities were very much-appreciated. The room also had a flat screen HDTV, IPOD docking station on the alarm clock, and an in-room safe that was very easy to use. We put our valuables in there while we were gone. I do not understand the previous complaints about the A/C. We had it on the whole time we were there, and it never bothered us.

All in all, we had a great stay. Were there some things the hotel management could improve on? Of course. There never seemed to be coffee ready when we went to the lobby. The room had an unusual odor the first day we got there. We had someone come spray it for us. That's it. Those are my two biggest complaints. They were not deal breakers at all. If you book this hotel on priceline, do not worry about being treated any differently. It was not the case for our experience.

Some quick pointers:

--They have free, wireless Internet access in the rooms. If you don't want to travel with your laptop like we didn't, there's a business center there you can print stuff off in for free.
--I'd request a room higher up so the street noise doesn't bother you. It wasn't an issue for us because we were on the 9th floor.
--The doorman has maps to help guide you around the city and the top tourist destinations.
--The red line is a short walk away from the hotel on W Chicago. My wife and I walked from the subway station to the hotel with our luggage without any problem. The hotel is in a GREAT location. There's a bus stop right out front, as well. The No. 22 Clark runs you downtown and all throughout the River North neigbhorhood the hotel is in.
--Plenty of food options nearby. Portillos is right down the street on N Clark. They have great Italian beef sandwiches, Chicago hot dogs, and my wife got some great pasta. It's not a fancy place at all, just a walk up and eat cafeteria. A great option for a quick bite to eat so you can avoid going to McDonalds across the street. Also, Yolks is fantastic. We ate breakfast there before we left. It's right around the corner on N Wells. A must for brunch or meal before you leave town. A Whole Foods is two blocks away for the hotel on W Huron. Great for picking up snacks for the room or for the day.

Bottom line: The Hotel Felix was a safe, clean hotel in a great location. It provided my wife and I a great place to drop our bags and see all that Chicago has to offer.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scadventurer12
Chicago
Reviewed September 17, 2009

My wife and I enjoyed a night at Hotel Felix in celebration of our anniversary. It was fantastic. We had a super-clean king room -- perhaps they are bigger than the queen rooms reviewed by others or maybe some folks need a lot more space. We thought the size of the room was fine. We brought a bottle of wine to drink and the bartender at the hotel's restaurant was very gracious in loaning us two glasses. Room was well-equipped with iPod docking station, stylish fixtures, a wonderful bed, and cool bathroom / shower with robe. Well situated in the city but also very quiet at night (a/c was just fine for us). Staff was great. The only tiny negative I can think of had to do with the narrow hallways -- would be nice to clear out the bins and carts that often were around. We'll for sure be back!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple