“European style, 'green' hotel”
Review of Hotel Felix

Hotel Felix
Ranked #123 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 2, 2009

Our room was not ready at check in, but by 5 p.m. they did have the room we reserved, a two double bed room. We were expecting the small room size, tiny closet, no sitting chairs and no counters in the bathroom because we had read the reviews on this site. This is a small room hotel. If you are not going to spend time in your room it is a very comfortable place to sleep (although the air conditioning blew on me off and on all night). Be forewarned. Don't pay full price. Enjoy downtown Chicago.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
FelixManager, Hotel Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2009

Happy. Naturally. from the Hotel Felix. Please accept our apologies that you were delayed in getting checked-in & settled into your room. However, it was good to hear that once there, you found the room comfortable. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,654)

Reviewed June 26, 2009

I will be staying at Hotel Felix in two weeks and I'm already dreading my stay! They were just so rude to me on the phone, and they made me very aware that b/c I'm a Hotwire customer I'm a second rate customer. I made a mistake I'll never make again: I booked a room at Hotel Felix through Hotwire. If you're clever with Hotwire, you can pretty much figure out which hotel you'll get during the booking process. I was initially very excited to land a room at the Hotel Felix ... then I called them and it was all downhill from there.

I've been a big fan of Hotwire for years: I like an adventure (never know exactly where you'll stay until your credit card is already charged) and in these times we all needs to save a few bucks on a hotel - hey, I'm a librarian, and we don't exactly roll in the dough! I've never had a problem getting a two bed room for two people with a Hotwire reservation (I usually travel with library colleagues): make your reservation via Hotwire, call the hotel to confirm and select your room type, and you're good to go!

Not with Hotel Felix. I was told my reservation was for a single queen bed hotel room and they would not honor my request for an "upgrade" to a two bed room. Per the Hotwire terms of service, Hotel Felix informed me, all that they had to do was provide me with a room that would accommodate two people, and that could even be just a full size bed. Basically, Hotel Felix conveyed that b/c I made a reservation via Hotwire, I'm a second rate customer and eligible only for the smallest, least popular room type. I inquired about availability of two bed rooms and was told that there were plenty, but they wouldn't be "upgrading" me b/c they didn't have to.

I called Hotwire, and they just referred to their terms of service: "Room type will be determined by the hotel based on the number of guests provided at time of booking. All reservations are booked for stays in non-smoking rooms (subject to availability). Hotel room assignments are determined at check-in and upgrades are not available." A Hotwire agent, Don, did try to contact the hotel but they were unwilling to budge. Don let me know that I might be able to "upgrade" when I arrive, but not to count on it. There's fine print, and then there's customer service, don't you think?

So now Hotel Felix has my money and Hotwire has its fee and I'm arriving in two weeks and just dreading it. Both Hotwire and Hotel Felix have forever lost my future business as well as that of my friends and family.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank hollybry
Reviewed June 23, 2009

The Hotel Felix is brand new. The room was quite small, with two double beds, and not much room to put suitcases, (i wouldnt recommend for 4 people, two is okay though) however the bed has built in draws, which were excellent. The beds were very very comfy. staff were very friendly and there's free tea and coffee in the bar of a morning. Very clean also.

The location was great, we walked from the train station and back to the airport was a $35 cab ride. We walked to areas all over the city including millenium park and the Mag. Mile shops. Best value to get the 3 day $14 transport pass which does buses and trains.

The air con was a little noisy from time to time, but not enough to complain.

Chicago tips: hire a bike from North beach and ride along the lake shore, Lincoln park zoo is free and excellent, and eat at Maggianos (Italian), its absolutely beautiful.

• Stayed: May 2009
FelixManager, Hotel Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2009

Happy. Naturally. from the Hotel Felix. Thank you for your positive feedback about the hotel, staff, beds & location. We are so happy (naturally) to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 23, 2009

My husband and I got a great deal to stay at Hotel Felix for a long weekend. We were impressed with the sleek, eco-friendly design as well as the friendly, helpful staff .

STAFF: The staff was responsive and always greeted us with a smile. The front desk was always willing to print out directions to local restaurants and attractions. Housekeeping was friendly and always did a great, thorough job.

LOCATION: Hotel Felix is only a walking distance from the Chicago brown and red L lines just outside of the Loop. There is a Whole Foods and 711 within a block of the hotel and the Magnificent Mile is only a few blocks away. A few more blocks past that is the lake shore. Millennium Park is only about a 20 minute walk from the hotel with lots shopping and restaurants on the way.

ROOM As in most big cities, our room was pretty small, but extremely clean and comfortable (especially the fluffy, queen size bed). There is a flat screen HDTV with cable and an alarm clock radio complete with an ipod dock. The room is designed to be space efficient with storage drawers under the bed, a small alcove to hang a few clothes, shelved night stands and a cabinet in the bathroom. The bathroom was also very modern looking with a well sized shower stall complete with a rainfall shower head and nice variety of H20 bath products. The room was noise proof and we never heard neighbors or people in the hall.

FACILITIES The funky lounge was a great area for guests to hang out or enjoy coffee and tea in the morning. There is also a small gym on the 2nd floor and an Aveda Spa. We were pleased that the hotel offers free wi-fi, but found the connection to be very slow.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
FelixManager, Hotel Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2009

Happy. Naturally. from the Hotel Felix. Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your kindness as well as the many details you included in your review. There are so many wonderful things about the Hotel Felix & I'm so happy that you enjoyed so many of them.
We look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed June 22, 2009

The hotel staff was great! Everyone was so helpful, and nice, and full of information. This is a new property, and the only silver LEED hotel in Chicago. The restaurant is not open, but there is everything that you could imagine nearby within walking distance. So, have very comfortable shoes. The room was small, but very comfortable. No tub, but a very large shower. Can't wait to return!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business

Happy. Naturally. from the Hotel Felix. Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel. We are very excited to be the first hotel designed to be Silver LEED certified in Chicago! We look forward to having you back with us.

Reviewed June 21, 2009

Not sure how this hotel was reviewed so kindley? My cousin and I just stayed last night, 6/20/09 and booked through Hotwire.com. Payed a rediculous amount for this supposed 4 star hotel that had NO resturant on site (currently under construction), and a room so small.... you can whisper to someone on the toilet while lying in bed. Speaking of the bed... lumpy is how we best described it. We stayed on 2nd floor facing front of hotel and could hear Valet attendant or "person with top hat" (they said they didn't have a doorman) talking loudly very late and then at the crack of dawn. An alarm clock in the room went off at 0620 am and we certainly didn't set it! Stayed in much... better for alot less. Never again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
FelixManager, Hotel Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2009

Happy. Naturally. from the Hotel Felix. I'm so sorry to hear that we were not able to make your visit to Chicago an enjoyable one. While we hope you reconsider staying with us again, please don't hesitate to contact us if we can assist you in finding accommodations that meet your needs better. Safe travels.

Reviewed June 17, 2009