“Good but may get better”
Review of Hotel Felix

Hotel Felix
Ranked #115 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Connecticut
Reviewed May 15, 2009

The Hotel Felix had recently opened, they were still hanging their marque when I arrived.
I entered a small lobby with two conversation lounge areas and bar near a fireplace for intimate socializing. The decor was a soothing eco-friendly setting for a professional or trendy meet place.
The front desk staff was very friendly and were especially accommodating to all of our requests, as were the bellman (who even ran to the store for me).
I only experienced single rooms, which were quite small but efficiently designed for storage & comfort. The feel of the room was modern with earth tones for a relaxing atmosphere. The queen size bed had drawers built into the platform, eliminating the need for a dresser. There was soft cotton bedding, fluffy pillows and a duvet comforter on a very comfy mattress.
The bathroom had a roomy stone tile stall shower with no tub, with a modern basin, non harsh lighting, thick cotton towels and hotel toiletries. To keep the room uncluttered, the flat paneled TV was wall mounted, a reduced size club chair was placed in a corner. The only horizontal place to put things were the compact desk area with wifi, a small modern table next to the club chair and two night tables on either side of the bed. The closet was compact but adequate for the single room.
I missed out on the fitness room and spa (tight schedule), but I used the business center, which had free internet service and a printer/fax. There were also several meeting rooms, which looked comfortable when I peeked in.
As far as I know, my group very satisfied with the hotel, with no memorable complaints, except one who had trouble navigating around the platform bed.

Don’t miss the restaurant ZED451 just one block away. It’s a wonderful eclectic mix of American, Asian and Mediterranean choices for a one price, serving up a variety of inventive flavor infused, dry rubbed and aged meats plated in a Churrasco serving style. Very chic multi level decor with some seating extending from a fire pit. Bring an appetite, since the food doesn’t stop until you realize that there is no more room to experience another bite.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
FelixManager, Hotel Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, May 22, 2009
Happy. Naturally. from the Hotel Felix. Thank you for staying with us & for your kind remarks. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us as did your traveling companions. We hope to see you again.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed May 13, 2009

I booked the Hotel Felix through a conference I was attending in Chicago. This was my first time to Chicago, so I had no idea on ideal locations, but the Felix was perfect! It was within walking distance to almost everything I wanted to see, and if something was too far to walk, the doormen were eager to assist me with either a cab or instructions to the "L" Trains.

As others have said, the rooms were small, but for a single traveler, they were just perfect. I was there for eight days and never felt cramped. The bed was possibly the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept on. The rooms came with free Wi-Fi which was nice being there on business, and included HD TV's and iPod docking stations which was great.

The front desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful, and all of the doormen were excellent. Most of the time I was there, I dealt with Julian, and every time I went somewhere he took the time to ask where I was going and if I needed directions, and every time I returned he asked how each specific experience was. Each doorman remembered my name after asking it only once. The housekeeping staff was always around when I would leave the room, and would always ask if I wanted service or if I wanted them to wait. I was extremely impressed with the entire staff.

My overall impression of the Hotel Felix was definitely a positive one, and if I ever return to Chicago, I will be staying there again!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
FelixManager, Hotel Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, May 15, 2009
Happy. Naturally. from the Hotel Felix. Thank you for choosing us for your first visit to Chicago.

It was fantastic to hear how the staff impressed you. The work very hard to make each guest feel special & it's wonderful to know they succeeded. I will be sure to let each one know. We were also pleased to hear that you enjoyed the style & amenities in the room.

Thank you again for your kindness. We look forward to having you back as our guest.
toronto
Reviewed May 11, 2009

My friends and I just stayed at the Hotel Felix. It is true that the rooms are small but we really only were there to sleep. The bed was super comfortable so we slept very well. There are not a lot of amenities at this hotel but this really doesn't concern me. I don't typically eat at hotel restaurants or go to hotel bars.

Now the staff here are superb. Not just the doorman, or the front desk staff....all of them. Because the hotel is small you tend to get a much more personalized level of service and it makes you feel very welcome.

This hotel was also extremely clean. This probably has a lot to do with the young age of the hotel but the staff seems to do an excellent job of keeping it looking like new.

Definitely a great looking hotel with great staff but the rooms are a little small.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Happy. Naturally. from the Hotel Felix. Thank you for staying with us while you were in Chicago.

Your kind comments made my day! I am so happy to hear that the staff not only providing you with great service but also remembered you each time they saw you! I will be certain to pass along your remarks.

Thank you again & we look forward to having you back.
sjoe83
Reviewed April 27, 2009

The hotel is so cozy and clean. My wife and I enjoyed sitting in the lobby and since the bar was closed the doorman went out and bought us a bottle of wine while we sat in front of the fireplace. Ben the doorman was so outgoing and helpful. He gave us 5 star service. Also Daniel at the front desk was great. He knew so much about Chicago! Every restaurant we wanted to go the week we stayed he got us into or gave us information about every restaurant. All the staff was so great through. We will return for sure. The rooms were small but romantic. Breakfast was fine too. Thanks for the great stay and keep up the good work.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
FelixManager, Hotel Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, May 1, 2009
Happy. Naturally. from the Hotel Felix. Thank you so much for your kind remarks. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us. Dan & Ben were thrilled to hear you mentioned them as well. We hope we have the opportunity to serve you again soon. Safe Travels.
washington DC
Reviewed April 15, 2009

Revisiting Chicago where I used to live, I wanted an economical 3 day stay. I had a queen room on the 12th floor - you should know it's NYC size small! For myself , it was fine, if 2 people, may be difficult in that there is NO place to put your bag so even though it's cozy and cute small, it's not practical at all. Was told their bathrooms only had showers - no bathtub/shower combo options in the entire hotel exist. The bed is very comfy and I think they put forth a nice design to the whole place. They offer free continental breakfast each day which is nice. Service was fine. Whole Foods is 2 bl. away and Huron/Clark is an easy cab ride to Old Town and points to Loop - for business it'd work great.

My complaint has to do with how loud everything was - thin walls, their sinks in the bathrooms are a bit weird - very shallow, they could use some basic options in the room like a do not disturb sign because the cleaning crew starts knocking on doors at 6:30am! Their spa opens this week and their restaurant was still in process of getting ready to open in June I was told. I typically stay at Sofitel Watertower or Sutton Place Hotel in Gold Coast for location which have larger rooms. I travel quite a bit and enjoy 4star hotels - I would likely not stay here again but for the value and if you were solo travelling for just 1-2 nights on business, it's a worthwhile stay. They've tried to make it a 4 star hotel w. the spa, business ctr, free wi-fi, etc. but the substance isn't really there. For $85 night it was worth it but I would be disappointed if I had to have paid more for it.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
FelixManager, Hotel Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, April 24, 2009
Happy. Naturally. from the Hotel Felix.

Thank you for your candid feedback. Having kept the original 1927 structure of the building, rooms are "boutique" style. I'm so sorry that you did not find the space adequate. However, I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed breakfast. Complimentary breakfast is temporary until our restaurant is open early Summer. I was quite surprised to hear that your room was noisy. If you recall your room number, I'd certainly like to inspect this particular room. While our housekeeping cleaning staff does not arrive until 8.30am weekdays & 9a weekends, we do have staff to assist special requests 24 hours. I will certainly speak to the staff to ensure when delivering requests early in the day to keep their voices down.

Thank you agan for your feedback. We are thankful for the opportunity to continue to improve. I hope you reconsider coming back to see us. Safe Travels.