“Very "Mod" and friendly!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Felix

Hotel Felix
Ranked #118 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Memphis, Tennessee
“Very "Mod" and friendly!”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Felix just one night but is a was an overall great experience. It was located just about a 10 minute walk from Michigan avenue.They offered valet parking at a reasonable rate which was handy in the middle of January! The front desk folk were friendly and quick. We arrived in the city about 2 hours before check in but it was not a problem to check in early. The room was small but very modern and clean. Would definitely stay there again on my next trip to Chicago!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Hello Sarah Q - Thank you for choosing us for your recent trip to Chicago. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit. Have a nice day and we hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I spent a short time at this hotel, just one night with a friend. The rooms are super small, yet clean, modern and comfy bed. The lobby is small, but chic. We enjoyed our late brunch at the restaurant next door, which is off the entry area. Location is great, within walking distance to restaurant, bars, shops. For $100 on priceline, this hotel was well with the price.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Hello AkronTravelBug - Thank you for taking the time to share your review after staying with us. While our rooms are cozy in nature, as Chicago's first Silver LEED certified hotel we're proud of our eco-friendly efforts. Thank you again and we hope you have a nice day!
Whitefish, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Our trip to Chicago was wonderful, we had a fantastic time seeing the sights. Took in a Bears game, two Blackhawks games, and visited House of Blues amongst other attractions.

Hotel Felix was a decent home base. As many of the other reviews say, the room is extremely small. That's really the only negative. The location was great, the bed was comfortable, room a comfortable temperature. Bathroom is like a closet. We stayed 6 nights and may have benefited from a bigger room due to the duration of our stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Kimbo1523 - We appreciate your review. While our rooms are cozy in nature, we find most guests appreciate our urban location, which is just steps away from Chicago’s landmarks, including the Magnificent Mile, museums, shopping and more. Thank you for your time and we hope we’ll see you again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I have stayed at the Felix when I had a quick turn-around for work...working late night, then having to return early in the morning. Since my drive home is about an hour, I chose a downtown hotel to save on driving. The Felix is in a great location...plenty of restaurants and nightlife close by.
Very comfortable, reasonably priced and clean.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jon W
Hi Jon W - Thank you very much for posting your review. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Wisconsin
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I need to stay within walking distance of the merchandise mart so the Hotel Felix is always a great choice

. Can't think of a better place for $89 in a big city with such a central location, I'd stay even if I didn't need to get to the mart the next day. Room was small but had all I needed (lots of giant pillows and lots of fluffy towels). I know it's a little thing but the makeup remover packets on the bathroom shelf were much appreciated. I'll be back and hope I can use the spa services next time.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hello sally a - Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. While our rooms are cozy in nature, as Chicago's first Silver LEED certified hotel we're proud of our eco-friendly efforts. Thank you again for your kind remarks & feedback. We hope to see you again!
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed February 2, 2014

This place may be the best if you want to stay here for one or two days. Service is good, location is nice. But following are the cons
1. The wifi is really bad here, it's taking time even for this page to load. So I'm using my mobile network to write this review.
2. Room space is less and no good cupboard available to keep your clothes or any other stuffs. So for shorter stay, this is not an issue, but if you're planning for a longer stay like more than 2 weeks, this will become an issue !!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Hi itsmeshibz - Thank you for taking the time to share your review after staying with us. While our rooms are cozy in nature, as Chicago's first Silver LEED certified hotel we're proud of our eco-friendly efforts. I understand you had an issue with the wifi during your stay. I will look into the situation and we appreciate your feedback. Have a great day!
Fayetteville, Ohio, United States
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I am so appalled by the Hotel Felix and their staff that I am writing this review while still in the hotel! I booked my room through Hotwire, and the policy told me to make sure to bring the credit card which I purchased the room on, nothing about the names matching. My husband and I just switched banks prior to leaving. While his card did show up, mine did not arrive until literally the day after we left. Unfortunately, I had to be admitted to the hospital while on our trip and my husband had to return home for work.en he left me at the hospital he left me with his bank card. After seven days I was released and needed a one night stay at a hotel to wait on my return travel. When I presented the card at check in, she refused it. Although, Hotwire says nothing about the names on a Credit card matching.I requested the manager as I had hospital paperwork, paperwork from Hotwire, etc. and hoped that he would show a little empathy for my situation. However he too refused to make an exception despite our dire circumstances. When my husband called, the woman laughed at him and handed to phone to the manager who continued to be unreasonable and suggested, since I just got out of the hospital, within the hour, and did not want to walk several blocks to a bank,that I give my card to his bell hop with our pin and allow him to withdrawal the 100.00 incidental fee and then hung up on my husband. ARE YOU KIDDING, who would give that information to a complete stranger? The worst part is the pair of them, the clerk Nicole and manager Larry clearly enjoyed trying to turn me away. Ultimately, I ended up using the card that is intended for emergencies only for my incidentals. Bottom line what it boiled down to was two people, with zero respect, trying to turn away a customer that had already payed for a room. It should be noted, that I had to cancel a reservation in the past with Hotel Felix, due to medical problems, and they refused to refund me. They care nothing about their guest here.
Their appearance is another story entirely. Although, coming into the lobby is quite lovely, that is the only thing lovely about it. The rooms, although they look like the pictures, was filthy. There were scratches on the walls. Stains on the lamps and desk. The desk was lopsided, the lamp was broken, and heaven forbid if you have a black light. I had to purchase my own fitted sheet in order to feel comfortable sleeping here. The TV was situated in such a way, that it was almost impossible to watch from the bed, and did not move or adjust. Moreover, they put me right outside the ice machine and elevators. No doubt this was done on purpose.
In addition, their spa is an AVEDA run spa, which is in part one of the reasons I went to Hotel Felix. As an AVEDA cosmetologist, I look forward to sampling the AVEDA products left in the room. As one would expect given that their spa is an AVEDA run spa. One would think that they would try to promote their spa products in their rooms. However, AVEDA is no where to be found in the room. What you do find is a product that cost far less and is also far less friendly on the environment. As opposed to AVEDA, their products are 99% naturally derived. The switch is funny, coming from a hotel that is so concerned with being green. The products are also terrible on the hair and body. The ingredients are so damaging to hair, I would not take them near any of my clients hair. Just this switch alone shows the hotel cares only about the buck not their guest.
Overall, this hotel is a hypocritical joke. The only thing that they care about is the bottom dollar. The rooms will leaving you desiring much, and the guest care will leave you wondering how a hotel could continue to survive with a staff such as this. As a matter of fact, try out the Allerton. Their cost is around the same if not less. Their guest care is nothing shy of outstanding and their rooms are extremely clean, updated, and well maintained. Avoid the Hotel Felix at all cost.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank chitrip_13
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Hi chitrip_13 - Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. We are looking into the situation and will conduct remedial training as appropriate. We appreciate your feedback and we hope that you have a great day.

Travelers are raving about these Chicago hotels