“Small hotel with great character”
Review of Hotel Felix

Hotel Felix
Ranked #115 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
unidentified
“Small hotel with great character”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Upon entering the hotel, we were impressed with the water wall creating ambiance and with the familiar banter of guests seated in the small lobby. Truly, the hotel is a "boutique" hotel, and guests who stay more than a few hours might just feel themselves a part of the Hotel Felix family. Yes, the rooms are small, but they are modern, clean, and "green." We enjoyed the Spa H2O products so much that we have since bought them to use at home. Since we had taken the train to Chicago, we were grateful that we could walk to the Miracle Mile shopping district, as well as to other points of interest. The front desk personnel advised us well on a breakfast destination, a nearby restaurant specializing in omelets and french toast. We think Hotel Felix is definitely a keeper!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for your recent visit and your review. We're happy to hear you enjoyed the stay so much and enjoyed our friendly, fun atmosphere. Since you took the train and walked to the Magnificent Mile, it sounds like you love the green lifestyle as much as we do.

Thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I booked this hotel on Priceline for a very, very good price and stayed in January 2012. I wasn't expecting to win this hotel and I was a bit wary after reading the TA reviews. I was 33 weeks pregnant at the time, so I decided to just call ahead and ask for a king bed (as suggested by a TA reviewer) in a quiet room, and make the best of it.
I called ahead of time and requested the king in a quiet room. The person I talked to was very friendly and said they couldn't guarantee anything, but they would absolutely do their best. I was happy with that.
We had never been to Chicago, and we had no idea which area of the city to look for a hotel in. In retrospect, I should have booked something on the south side of the river because we spent most of or time in that area at the Shedd Aquarium, Art Institute, Millenium Park and Chicago Cultural Centre. This hotel is in an area that has a lot of resturants and shopping. Tons of shopping. It is also relatively close to Navy Pier (a short cab ride anyway).
We drove from SW Ontario (Canada) and the drive was SO easy. Driving into and out of the city was a breeze (drove in late at night - 11pm and drove out on a Sunday morning).
We arrived late and parked our car at a parking garage off-site to save money. The first night we parked in the Whole Foods building on the corner of North Dearborn and West Superior Street. The next day we happened to walk buy a cheaper garage (I believe it was on the corner of North Clarke and West Huron) and moved our car there.
We checked into the hotel and I mentioned to the guy at the desk (tall guy with long dreads) that I had asked for a king bed in a quiet area of the hotel, away from the elevator. I don't know what his problem was, but he was totally sour right from the get-go. He appeared to kind of scoff at me, and said he had no record of me asking for something away from the elevator (would that not be considered quiet?), but that he would give me a quiet room. We took our key and went up there. He had literally given us a room immediately across from the elevator! For real. I'm sure he had done this purposefully because he was irritated by me polietly being specific about my needs. Nothing like making the pregnant woman drag her luggage in and out of elevators. Jerk.
I went back down and said "ummm...the room you gave us is actually right across from the elevator". He pretended like he had no idea the room was that close and said they didn't have any other king bedrooms left. Sure. The guy was just plain nasty. Finally I said, I don't care. Give me a quiet queen room then. Whatever.
He did just that and we checked into our room. Our room was on the end of the building (north side). The view out of our window was of the building next door just a few feet away, which was under construction (and actually looked abandoned). Not very pretty.
Even though I had read about it on TA, I was totally shocked about how small the room was. It was similar size to a large bathroom. I think our master bath may be larger. I ususally take photos of all hotel rooms I stay in, but I didn't at this one. Probably because I couldn't get a good view!
But you know what, it worked. It was really beautifully done, clean, really modern and new looking. The bathroom was gorgeous and functional. There was a desk, not really necessary and kind of took up more space, but at least it was a place to put stuff. For what we paid, it was great and I got over the sour jerk at the desk. My only advice would be to bring ear plugs. I heard a lot of traffic noise and sirens. Once I had my earplugs in, I was fine. But the traffic noise didn't bother my husband at all.
The location of the hotel was pretty decent! Obviously being right on Michigan Ave would have been great, but it was kind of nice to be in a quieter area with fewer people as Michigan Ave is so busy. The Chicago metro station is a quick 5 minute walk away. There's a Walgreens right around the corner, a McDonalds nearby and we went to Whole Foods almost twice a day for drinks, breakfast and sometimes lunch. It was just 1 block away.
Chicago was freaking awesome. Absolutely love the city and cannot wait to go back. My husband and I keep talking about going back.
I would recommend this hotel if you can get a good deal on it and if you are a couple that don't plan on spending a lot of time in your room. Obviously, now we have a child so we won't stay here again. There is not room.
If you win this on Priceline and you are worried, don't be! A clean, modern hotel in a good location. Just don't be stressed about the room size and you'll be just fine.

Room Tip: Be aware of the room size. Park off site. Whole Foods close by.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LindsayD
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Hi Lindsay. Thank you very much for your review! We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us. Regarding the issue with our front desk team member, we're looking into the situation and will conduct remedial training as necessary. We try our best to honor our guests requests to the bests of our ability and anything less is simply unacceptable. We also want our guests to feel as comfortable and possible.That aside, we're glad you had a positive experience overall. We agree that our location is prime because it's just off of the busy, heavily trafficked Michigan Avenue but still close enough to the city's best shopping, dining and entertainment. Congratulations on the birth of your baby, and thank you again for staying with us. Have a great day!
Michigan
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I am in the process of going to this hotel over the weekend. The only thing I know about this place is the customer service is unprofessional and not very helpful. Also their priceline deals are a scam. When you book on priceline you can get a great deal for 2 people. The only thing is you have to share the same bed unless you want to pay $40 more per night which is something they do not let u know on priceline or anywhere. They bait you into the room just so they can hit you with ridiculous charges. So a $75/room + Taxes is now around $125 (with 40 extra for beds and taxes) + parking I am assuming since I do not drive a hybrid (according to past reviews) All in all going into this weekend I am assuming by all the negative reviews that you can not expect much from this hotel. I can probably expect a mediocre management response that will try to thank you for your one positive comment on the hotel ,but with little action.

Room Tip: "Do not book room on Priceline" "There are much better values out there"
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Cindy B
Thank you for your recent review and for staying with us. While our rooms are cozy in nature, we hope you enjoyed our eco-friendly amenities and our convenient location right in the heart of downtown Chicago. We also will talk with our team members to ensure they're giving the best customer service possible and conduct remedial training as appropriate.

Thank you again.

Travelers are raving about these Chicago hotels

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed January 23, 2013

There are very little things to like about this place besides the location. So here's the list of things that I DID NOT like about this hotel.

1. Priceline and this hotel seem to be in cahoots. As i've read elsewhere online, a lot of folks who bid on Priceline seem to end up at this place if they especially choose the River North area.

2. The rooms are the sizes of a matchbox. There's nothing really to like about these super small sized rooms with paper thin walls. I've stayed in other places in downtown Chicago, and as fair as I want to be, this is probably the worst of all the properties I've stayed at. The bed in the room is so oversized compared to the room size that you can't move around without banging yourself either against the so-called work desk (directly above which they have housed the flat screen TV) or the edges of the bed.

3. Now if you are there on business, unless you like sitting in the bed and working, you're going to find working at the tiny so-called work desk very uncomfortable.

4. Building next door is undergoing renovation and most of the weekdays there is construction noise, which can drive you insane, especially if you're tolerance level is low.

5. Rooms have no refrigerator or microwave, so if you get left overs from eating out, you're pretty much going to have to trash the food unless you're a fan of eating cold food. When we requested a microwave, the girl at the front desk was at least a little helpful and attempted to get us one. However, the promised microwave did not show up and when we followed up with the front desk a guy answered the call and was hopelessly rude. If I was the manager, I'd fire him instantly. The doormen were more polite & friendlier than the front desk staff.

6. Last but not the least: This hotel is NOT a 4-star hotel as Priceline claims. There is nothing here that's worthy of being rated at 4-stars.

7. I'll end with a positive note: The bathroom though lacking a tub, had nice modern fixtures and the hot water was at a good temperature and decent pressure.

And Mr. Manager, or whoever answers these posts here, please don't post your pathetic response to my review. That's just rubbing salt into the wounds. Save yourself the time and effort to type up a stupid response and instead put that time to good use to actually improve the rooms and work creatively to actually get the hotel to live up to its so-assigned 4-star rating.

Room Tip: Look for a better hotel and stay away from this one!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for your review. We'd like to address your concerns:

1) To clarify, we have no control over whether Priceline selects us or not. When guests name their price, among other requests, Priceline searches available hotels that match the guests particular criteria. We have no control over whether guests get our hotel or not.

2) While our rooms are cozy in nature, as Chicago's first LEED certified eco-friendly hotel, we're proud of our environmental efforts and amenities.

3) For our business guests (or anyone looking to surf the web, check their email, etc.), we offer a fully-equipped business center that features printing, fax, and shipping assistance.

4) The construction in the building next door will be completed this year. Construction, especially in a city like Chicago, is something we cannot control but we try our bests to make our guests as comfortable as possible.

5) Regarding your issue with the front desk, we're looking into the issue and will conduct remedial training as necessary. We do not have microwaves or refrigerators in guest rooms in keeping with our eco-friendly policies.

6) As a 4-star property, we have designed a series of high-end amenities and luxury services to anticipate our guests needs. We continue to work hard to ensure our guests have the ultimate 4-star experience here at Hotel Felix.

7) We're pleased you enjoyed our bathroom fixtures and the water pressure.

Chandsa, to address your final comment, we are here to read, and learn, from our guests reviews so we can make sure we're doing the best job we possibly can. We take extra care to respond to each review because we feel that it's important for our guests to know we're listening and we appreciate the time they took to compose their reviews.

Thank you and have a nice day.
Anaheim, California
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Comfortable bed. Efficient Staff. Good Location. The Heater unit was not working in the first room I checked into. Maintenance swiftly addressed the issue and it was determined unit was not functioning. I was quickly, without hassle provided another room and provided a free movie rental. The Maintenance man was professional and respectful.

My second room was located next to the elevators, but was quiet, clean and comfortable.

Staff was helpful in provided directions. Check in & out was easy.

My only criticism is it was hard to fit my hands under the faucet to wash them as the faucet was low into the sink.

Room Tip: Beware that as of January 2013, there is construction on the building next door. Ask for a room opp...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for your review. It was our pleasure to assist you and help you have the most comfortable stay possible. The depth of the sink has to do with our eco-friendly policies; it is designed to converse water. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon!
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The hotel is in a great location, the staff was kind, the small bar in the lobby is welcoming -- but the paper-thin walls are ridiculous. I was in a room next to the elevator shaft and heard the dings and whooshes all night long. I heard every conversation as other guests waited for the elevator right outside my door. It's just too loud for me to go back.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator shaft!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your time and thank you for staying with us. We hope you have a wonderful day.
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed January 22, 2013

After all the bad reviews about this hotel I went with some trepidation to Chicago. It turns out that I must have stayed in a different Hotel Felix than other reviewers. I had a King size room (admittedly, in most other hotels this would have been a Queen size, so room size is an issue throughout the property). Having said that, every staff member I encountered was super friendly, WiFi was included in the room rate (thank you Hotel Felix for not ripping your customers off on that front!), the room was kept immaculately clean by the cleaning staff, the hotel's eye on environmentally friendly products throughout the facility was certainly appreciated by me. The bed was great. I slept pretty well. I noticed that many of the products in the room (including towels eg) were made in the USA and not imported from some godforsaken place half way around the world. The H2O amenities were a nice surprise. I was in a far corner on the 11th floor, so I wasn't bothered by elevator noise. I must say though that I heard everyone passing by my room as if they were in the room, so noise isolation is a big fail here. The cable package coming with the HD flat screen is pretty crappy, but so what, you don't head to Chicago to watch TV in your hotel room... or so one would think. There's an IPod compatible little music device in the room. Neat. There's no coffee maker in the room so you got to trek down to the bar in the morning to grab a complimentary coffee. Not a terribly nice way to start your day if you're a true caffeine addict.

Would I stay here again? I certainly would.

Room Tip: Stay away from elevator vicinity as rooms as not terribly noise proof, the further away you are the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank udo s
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for your review! We appreciate you taking the time to mention our friendly staff, complimentary wifi, clean rooms and ~H20+ amenities. Thank you also for noticing that our bathroom towels are made in the USA. We hope to see you again, have a great day!