“Not a 4 star property”

Hotel Felix
Ranked #116 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I truly wish I had a photo of how small our room was. It was beyond small and has to be some sort of fire hazard. Let's just say only walking room around the bed but here's where it gets tricky... there is a shelf at the foot of the bed, under the tv and is supposed to be a "desk". It's about 12 inches wide and there is a chair under it. There is NO way to go to the other side of the bed because of the chair. And there is no way to remove the chair unless you take off on of the desk legs (they probably snap off for this purpose). They have these really nice leather headboards but funny thing... the light switch is behind the headboard. So my reading light wouldn't work. It's really a shame that they have these tiny rooms because the decor and the hotel itself is so cute. Just beware and know the room you reserve. DO NOT reserve the cheapest one going... TOTALLY not worth the price for this room. At any price.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Thank you for your review following your stay with us. While our rooms are cozy in nature, we're proud to be Chicago's first LEED certified hotel. Thank you again and have a nice day!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Felix

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We ended up at the Hotel Felix after doing a priceline.com bid and got our 4 night stay for $125/night. We were visiting family in the city and needed a clean place to sleep...and that is exactly what we got. The hotel itself is exactly what it says it is; a small, boutique hotel in a great location. The year before, which was our first trip to Chicago, we also did priceline and ended up at the Hilton, south of Navy Pier. This time, we decided we wanted to be a bit further north and ended up at Hotel Felix. What other reviewers have said is accurate; the room was small, especially in comparison to standard hotels at the same pricepoint, and the bathroom was also rather small. There was no view in our room since the windows looked on a building under construction. But the bed, which was a queen, was comfortable and the room was quiet and the internet was free. That is all we asked for since we spent the days walking around and the evenings out at restaurants and shows (ie. Second City). If you are going to the city and plan on being in your room for a long time or if you need your room for business purposes, this is probably not the best place to stay. But, if you plan on being out in the city and having access to everything you need within walking distance and can look past the small room, this place is fine. And for the price we got online, it suited our needs and didn't detract from the trip at all, so we really could not complain.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your review following your stay with us. We're thrilled you enjoyed our property and our convenient location, steps away from the city's finest shopping, dining and attractions. We hope you have a wonderful day and thank you again!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is great. I only payed $150 a night vs $400 a night at nearby hotels. Just a few blocks off Michigan Avenue and it's easy to get to off I-94 without all the Michigan Ave traffic. I had 2 rooms and each had plenty of room. I had read reviews where others were saying 2 people could not walk around the room at the same time and that was not my experience at all. It's clean. Modern decor. Very comfortable beds. It smelled fresh. It was quiet. I had no issues with construction or thin walls. It's near a Whole Foods which is also wonderful. I would call it a 4 star and I saw no dirty or worn out carpeting or anything like that at all. Our cab driver said this hotel was upgraded a lot when Chicago was trying to win the Olympic bid.

Staff was very friendly. I had stayed 3 nights and was expecting to stay with a close girlfriend 2 of the 3 nights. The only issue was getting a room with 2 beds vs one queen bed. It's a smaller hotel. I could only get a room with a queen bed. I was alone the first night so it was fine - I and was able to switch rooms the next day. They kept saying they were "committed" to all the other rooms. That was my only hassle but it worked out and the staff was accommodating as possible. The staff even brought up the key for me to the new room. We had also forgotten an item in the hotel room upon check out and realized it when we were driving away. We called ahead and housekeeping went in the room and held our item for us. Again great service.

Was not able to get into the spa. They said they "were committed" the whole weekend but there are so many spas in the area. I found one around the block for 1/2 the price of the hotels services anyway. If you want spa services at the hotel be sure to book when you make your reservations.

I will hands down stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want two beds vs a queen bed be sure to call ahead before check in.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sandraclue

Thank you for your review following your stay with us! We're thrilled you had such a fantastic experience. Our team works hard to ensure our guests have the best time possible and we're glad you did. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

As vacationers, my husband and I had a great experience at this hotel. Every interaction we had with a staff member was fantastic and exceeded expectations.

Our first impression of the hotel was that it was stylish and modern. The lobby is clean and comfortable, but has limited seating.

The rooms, like the lobby, were modern and clean. The bed was quite comfortable. The toiletries provided by the hotel exceeded my expectations. There was no tub, but a shower stall, which suited me just fine. The sink basins are shallow.

The walls in this hotel are somewhat thin. We heard the elevator dinging outside our room, and we heard our neighbors doors slam every time they left their rooms. Luckily no one was talking loudly or excessively entering or exiting their rooms during our stay. The noises were muffled enough that they weren't bothersome, but we still noticed them.

Location was good. Very close to Michigan Avenue. Lots of nearby restaurants and touristy things to do.

Unlike many of the people reviewing this hotel, we were not disappointed by the room size. After reading the reviews before deciding on the hotel, I had actually envisioned a room smaller than the one we had. We booked a single queen room, and it was comfortable for two adults.

The TV was nice and was very easy to watch from the bed, though it would have been difficult to watch from anywhere else in the rooms. There were a good assortment of cable channels to choose from.

Valet Parking is $44 per day, and the parking garage that the valets use is off-site a few blocks away. With that $44 price tag, guests receive in and out privileges. If you need your car brought around, make sure you allow time, as it takes about 15 minutes to get your car.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mmbryan

Thank you for your review following your stay with us! We're thrilled you and your husband had a wonderful time with us and we couldn't be happier that you enjoyed our hardworking staff, clean and modern decor and convenient location. We hope you have a wonderful day and thank you again!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

This is not a 4 star hotel. The room(s) we had were slightly bigger than the Queen bed we slept in (space to the wall was 2 ft from the left and foot of the bed and 3ft on the right). What they called a closet was a 1.5' nook with a cheap curtain in front of it. The TV was mounted on the wall at the foot of the bed and with so little room between the foot of the bed and the wall (see above) you would have to veer to pass between the foot of the bed and the TV. BUT - that has some perils because the Bed frame is a wood structure that encases the boxspring and it sticks out about 4" from the matterss. The end result is that when you veer to avoid hitting the TV, you nail your shin on the bedframe and it really hurts. My wife and I still have bruises. I think they have made some attempts to cushion the blow with padding, but that is cheap and falling off. The bathroom's are fine except the sink is too shallow for a Sardine to swim in and it spalshes all over you. The general decor is rather drab and the dark brown carpet that is used both in the hallways and the rooms looks really bad. Staying with the Sardine theme, the hallways are also narrow. I don't have anything bad to say about the bathroom, but the again, there is nothing special about it either. We booked this through a solicitation from priceline about great negotiated deals on Chicago 4 star hotels. I am not sure how priceline could grade this as 4 start hotel, my wife says one of the things they base their rating on is if they have a robe. REALLY! A ROBE!!! How about square footage??? I have seen bigger one bed hospital rooms. They probably have some Larger rooms, but I don't think you will ever get one if you book thorugh Priceline's negotiated site. My suggestion is that if you want to use "priceline's name your price" in Chicag", stay out of the River North area because you will probably get the Hotel Felix. I assume that is the only way someone would pay for their cells and selling them to unssupecting people on priceline is part of their business model. I really feel I was taken for a ride by Priceline and the Hotel on this deal.

Room Tip: Find another hotel if you are traveling with anyone, or you plan tpo spend anytime in your room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review following your stay with us. While our rooms are cozy in nature, we're proud of our eco-friendly efforts and amenities. Thanks again.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have stayed in about 20 different hotels in downtown Chicago, and this one ranks near the bottom. The rooms had a cheap quality to them with dingy carpet and furniture, reminiscent of a cheap Holiday Inn. The sink basin was extremely shallow and splashed water everywhere, and the desk was too small even to fit my laptop computer! Everything was very crowded and small.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. While our rooms are cozy in nature, we're proud to be Chicago's first LEED-certified hotel. Thanks again and have a nice day.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed there in September of 2012. This is a very nice modern hotel. The only thing that I didn't like about the hotel was how small the rooms were. I felt like I was in a tiny little box. The service was excellent, and if the rooms were a bit bigger I would have loved this place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review following your recent stay with us. We're thrilled you enjoyed our modern decor and hardworking cast. While our rooms are cozy in nature, we're proud of our eco-friendly efforts. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon!