“Think twice!”

Ranked #118 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
“Think twice!”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Nice location. Booked on Priceline and paid over $200.00. I feel $150.00 would have been a fair price. Definitely not a four star Hotel! Room was uncomfortably small. Queen beds. Hallway was dirty but the room was pretty clean. Would not stay again!!

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank lcandkc
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you for your review following your stay. While our rooms are cozy in nature we're proud of our eco-friendly efforts. Thank you again and have a nice day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed September 25, 2012

While I was concerned after reading several reviews, I must admit, the hotel is quite wonderful. Granted, per American standards, the rooms are small. However, the hotel more than makes up for that in other ways. My room was very clean and the housekeeping staff sincerely take pride in their work and ensuring that you have a well kept room. The bed was very comfy.

The hotel staff is truly the foundation of Hotel Felix. Every person I encountered was kind, respectful, courteous, helpful, and very personable in the way they deal with guests. They greet you upon entry every time. The bell and valet staff are equally as delightful to deal with. The only exception would be the gentleman who works the Midnight shift. He is curt, somewhat rude, and too busy playing with his cell phone to really be helpful.

The hotel offers a nice lobby bar as well. The LM Bistro in the lobby offers wonderful food and the butter lettuce salad is awesome. The staff there is also very accomodating and courteous.

Quite frankly, you will sacrifice the size of a typical American hotel room, but the quality of service you receive tips the scale by far. I am in hotels 15-25 nights per month on business and have stayed at more elaborate and pricier hotels in Chicago but did not receive the level of guest service I did at Hotel Felix. I will choose it again when in Chicago. Great service trumps the size of the room for me.

2 Thank ScottHSH
Thank you for your review following your stay with us! We're thrilled you enjoyed our hardworking staff, we work hard to ensure our guests have a wonderful experience and we're so glad you did. We're also happy you enjoyed our new neighbor, LM Bistro, the fantastic restaurant that is adjacent to our hotel. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I'm writing this as I sit perched on the edge of the bed, which happens to be just inches away from the desk in my closet, I mean "room", that I purchased through Priceline at Hotel Felix. I didn't realize until I read another review on TripAdvisor that Hotel Felix likely saves these microscopic rooms just for Priceline customers. The size of the room is a joke - I feel like I'm at a budget hotel in Europe, except that I'm not ... so the fact that I can barely walk around the bed and the "desk" is 12 inches deep with no desk chair is unacceptable. The bathroom has a pedestal sink so there is no counter space. Anyone with a tendency toward claustrophobia should steer clear. Priceline should NOT represent this as a four star property if this is the type of room that Hotel Felix provides its guests.

Room Tip: Don't book through Priceline!
1 Thank Elisa C
Thank you for your review following your stay. While our rooms are cozy in nature, they are consistent with room sizes of hotels in major metropolitan areas and we're proud to be Chicago's first LEED certified hotel. Thank you again and have a nice day.

Travelers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Ottawa, IL
Reviewed September 22, 2012

My mom was able to book three rooms at this hotel for a very reasonable rate. The lobby is very modern and funky, and we had a wonderful time having cocktails by the fireplace before we went out for the night.

The rooms were very clean, nicely decorated, and the bed was comfortable. However, the room was EXTREMELY small. We didn't have a very convenient place to store our bags and the sink was not a full vanity so it was difficult to set anything on the sides. It was a little difficult for my husband and I to walk around at the same time without bumping into each other or furniture.

So would I recommend this place? If you're staying for a night (maybe two) and you just want a comfortable bed to sleep in, then yes, I think you'll be happy at Hotel Felix for the price. It's in a great location just a few blocks from Michigan Avenue and steps to many great restaurants. But if you are staying longer or you plan on spending a lot of time in your room, you may want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah A
Thank you for your review following your stay with us! We're so glad you enjoyed some quality time with your mom by our cozy fireplace. We're also thrilled you enjoyed our clean, chic rooms and comfy bedding. While our rooms are cozy in nature, we're proud of our eco-friendly efforts. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 20, 2012

My family and I just got back from Chicago where we stayed at the Hotel Felix for 7 days, 6 nights through Priceline. We were concern about the quality and size of the rooms after reading people reviews. This hotel will not work if you have a big group of people sharing a room or a family with teenagers. However, for us, this was perfect since our children are 4 and 1 years old. Easy for us to keep an eye on them. Plus, my wife prepared herself with the lack of storage space by purchasing over the door storage bag for our toothpaste and she used the ironing board as another table for the kids snacks/bottles.
When we arrived at the hotel we specifically ask the front desk for a room with a bathtub since we needed one for our children (one other reviewer on here recommended that upon check-in and that worked). We got Room 203 which is slightly bigger in comparison to other people photos on here. We had no view except some big vent/machinery outside (doesn't make a noise). But we couldn't care less since we were only going to sleep in the room at night and be out during the daytime. By the way, in case you sleep past 9 am M-F, be prepared for some drilling and hammering by the construction people. This didn't bother us since we wanted to start the day early, but this WILL NOT WORK for those that sleep until noon.
Overall, we had a good experience with Hotel Felix. The doorman were nice and the location was great for the subway system. We actually walked all the way to Navy Pier, Hancock building, and the Sears Tower by foot. Walgreens is great if you need any late night snack/souvenirs.

Room Tip: If you want a bigger room, ask for one with a bath tub! It will be slightly bigger (but you may not...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GZLD
Thank you for your review following your stay! We're thrilled you and your family enjoyed your time with us and we're very happy we helped give you a great experience. We hope to see you again soon! Have a wonderful day.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Priceline SCAM, Bait & Switch – After submitting a Priceline bid over $250 for a 4 star hotel the Priceline systems responded with message for a one time opportunity to bid $348 which I did and got a room at the Hotel Felix Chicago, 111 West Huron Street, Chicago, IL 60654. There is no way this hotel and room was a 4 star. I am extremely disappointed and feel that Priceline took advantage of me on this purchase. The room I stayed in was exceedingly small; the closet was a small cubby hole with a curtain rather than a door and a bar that came straight out for hanging clothes so the only visible item on a hanger was the first one. The bathroom was exceedingly small no counter, a shower that was like that in a high school locker room. There was almost no desk space for working and no chair for relaxing.
Looks to me like Hotel Felix has regular rooms and separate one for Priceline...
The room I was not at all like how the Hotel Felix describes rooms on their website: “We offer three exceptional and unique types of room accommodations designed to provide the ultimate escape from the everyday hustle and bustle. All of our downtown accommodations are equipped with plush furnishings, contemporary flair and upscale amenities. If you have work to do, efficient workstations with comfortable seating provide the productive solace you need.”

I rate this as horrible because it was a bait & switch for $348. The Room was not even up the standards of Rd Roof Inn.

Room Tip: Don't fall for Priceline SCAM, Bait & Switch when they give you an opportunity to bid a high...
3 Thank BizTravelerBoy
Thank you for your review following your stay. Regarding the size of our rooms, we're proud of our eco-friendly efforts and amenities. Regarding reservations, we book our guests in rooms based on what is available at the time of booking. As Chicago's first LEED certified hotel, we work hard to give our guests a wonderful experience. In the future, please communicate your concerns with one of our team members are we will do our best to help you. Thank you and have a nice day.
Las Tablas, Panama
Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights at this hotel. The rooms are tiny, queen size bed, I'm used to King, a few blocks from Michigan Ave. And John Hancock Center. I really liked the Hotel and the location, the staff very friendly. You shouldn't spend that much money in other hotels if your plan is to get to know the city. There are many restaurants within walking distance. We walked all the way to Millenium Park. The hotel has free wi-fi, not strong enough, but it's free anyways. We really liked Chicago and hope to be back very soon.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Jose G
Thank you for your review following your stay with us. We're happy you enjoyed our hardworking staff, our convenient location and complimentary wifi. Regarding the room size, we're proud to be Chicago's first eco-friendly hotel. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon!