“Budget Boutique”

Chicago, Il
“Budget Boutique”
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Oh boy,
Unfortunately my family and I were placed at this hotel as a result of a priceline bid for a 4 star, this hotel is anything but a 4star. I'll reiterate the sentiment from other travellers here...the queen rooms are microscopic. My 6 year old son who has had a fair share of nights in hotels, as we travel fairly often, upon untering the room said ..."mom this room is ridiculous"..lol. hmmm (I wonder if he could spell ridiculous)
Simply getting from the bathroom to the bed involved thought so that you didn't knock your leg on the hard wooden frame of the bed, which we each did a couple of times. Requesting a different room was to no avail as the front desk staff informed us that they were fully booked (definitely believable as it was flower show weekend in Chicago), they were however willing to show another queen room, that unbelievably was smaller than the one we were in. I think my chuckle and expression conveyed the "ridiculousness" of the space and the hotel clerk informed me that this was a boutique hotel. As if to say the definition of a boutique hotel is one with very small rooms.
During our short one night stay, one of the maintenance staff tried to enter the room and then immediately apologized saying that she though that the room was unoccupied, later on that evening, closet hangars were brought to us when we didnt request them. The hubby and I had a good laugh...murphys law. The one service caveat was the doorman... excellent excellent excellent... he always seemed to appear out of nowhere to get the door or offer up a cab
Now on to the goodies:
The location is about 5 blocks west of Michigan avenue, so not in the heart of the shopping district but close enough if you dont mind the walk.
If you have children, Rainforest Cafe, McDonalds and a the super reasonable Barnelli's Pasta Place is within a couple of blocks south of the hotel. A couple blocks north of the hotel there is an "outside" parking lot that was less expensive than hotel parking.
There are restaurants everywhere on every corner near this hotel so, lots to eat. The hotel also had a restaurant that we did not really have an opportunity to try, so no comments there.

Anyway, for the business no-frills traveller or the crash and dash-budget conscious single... this could be your place (if the price is right). Not a place I would recommend for families, I'd look first towards Michigan Ave. 4 star hotels as on the non-event weekends rates are sometimes less than $100 per night.

Room Tip: Try to get a King room, I hear they are "bigger"
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 50Statevoyager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
Reviewed March 16, 2012

My boyfriend and I got a great deal on this hotel through Priceline, and we have no complaints -- except maybe that the sink is just a little too small to properly fill a glass of water. If that's the biggest issue then you can't be unhappy. Central location (we walked pretty much everywhere we wanted to go... and Portillo's is just down the road!), friendly staff, lovely rooms. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lizlemon86
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Thank you for your review while visiting us in Chicago. We're thrilled you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay and appreciated our convenient location in downtown Chicago. Glad you got a chance to check out Portillo's as well, an iconic Chicago restaurant! We hope to see you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Lovely rooms and staff. Nicely furnished. Not the biggest rooms, but in a central location you can accept that. Got a great deal through a search engine and it was worth every dime. For a nice place to stay wit out blowing the budget this is perfect

• Stayed January 2012
Thank you for your review following your stay with us in January while in the Windy City. We're happy you enjoyed our central location in the heart of downtown Chicago, steps away from the city's finest shopping and nightlife. We hope to see you again soon!
Sylvania, Ohio
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I along with two other friends, had the pleasure of staying at Hotel Felix last weekend. All I can say is WOW! We had two adjoining rooms, one with a king bed and one with a queen bed. The king room was huge! We loved the bathrooms with the walk-in showers. The decor was modern, and so was the bathroom. The sink was shallow, cool looking, but hard to fill a glass of water. We didn't have any problem with noisy guest coming in from a night out on the town, we heard them get out of the elevator, but once they were in their rooms, not a sound!
The best were two of their doormen, Charles and Julien! Truly sweet natured gentlemen! They were both great at answering questions, giving us dining suggestions, etc.!
We can't wait to return!

Room Tip: The single queen room is small, but very functional!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Thank you for your review following your recent visit with us. We're so glad you and your friends had a great time staying at our hotel! We will absolutely pass on your kind words to our doormen and let them know they made your experience that much better. We hope to see you again very soon. Thanks and have a great day!
California
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We (myself and 2 daughters 6&8) just returned from a 3 night stay at the Hotel Felix. We had a wonderful time. We "won" our stay on Priceline for $55 a night. After reading the reviews of HF I was afraid that our stay was not going to be good. Well I'm glad I that I ended up staying here. When we checked in we were asked what type of beds we wanted. I told her that we would take whatever came with our reservation. She said we had a choice of a queen, king or 2 doubles at no extra charge. I of course chose the 2 beds so Mom (me) got a bed all to myself. :) When we went to our room I was prepared for a small room according to all the reviews on here........again I had a great surprise, the room was very spacious (if you want to talk small rooms The Thompson on Columbus in NYC is a small room). We had plenty of room for our 3 suitcases, 2 backpacks and 2 other carry bags, plus the 3 of us. The bathroom was quite large also (no tub, but we only take showers so that was just fine). The room was very clean and the beds were VERY COMFY. I have a great fear of bedbugs so of course I pretty much tore the bed apart looking and no bugs to be found...YAY! The doorman was very helpful when we took off to explore the next morning, going over a map and telling us the best way to get where we wanted to go. There is a Walgreens around the corner where we bought 3 day bus passes and souviners (much cheaper). There is also a Whole Foods one block down and plenty of restaurants to choose from. The Mag Mile is about 5 blocks away, and my daughters had no problem walking the distance with no complaints. I would most def. stay here again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Angela L
Thank you for your review and for staying with us while in Chicago. We're thrilled to hear you and your two daughters enjoyed your three night stay with us! We're also happy you loved our comfy, cozy bedding and our knowledgeable doorman. We'll pass your kind words onto him as well. Thank you and we hope to see you ladies again soon!
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Stayed March 2012. Other reviewers have written long narratives so I'll cut to the high points:

Good:
-- Clean
-- Fair location (about 4 blocks from Michigan)
-- Comfortable bed
-- Relatively low cost
-- Free WiFi

Bad:
-- Small rooms as noted (about half the size of a typical two queen, or a bit smaller)
-- Sink slow-running and shallow (wind up dipping your hands in the pool of runoff water)
-- Low price tends to attract obnoxious younger guests (several groups of drunk kids who looked barely old enough to be drinking in the first place)
-- Thin walls so you can easily hear said neighbors running through the halls or yelling at 2 am
-- $42 parking charge

I chose Hotel Felix for a short stay because of the low listed price given the location, but the parking charge cuts down on the difference between other hotels in the area. The room size didn't bother me since (as another reviewer said) I didn't come here to stay in my room, but don't fool yourself -- you're not getting a luxury hotel at a bargain price. The management seems to put a lot of effort into things that don't really affect the quality of the stay -- LEED certification (gets them a tax break but not clear what it does for the customer), trendy wallpaper and mirrors, and the amusing management response to *every comment* on the thread, transparently fluffing themselves and attempting to defuse any criticism, even if legitimate. Dear management, it's great that you're reviewing feedback, but if you really care about your customers, show them by taking care of them while they're staying with you.

In sum, it's a fair option for one person or a couple who just need a place to crash, especially if you're on a budget, but next time I'll pay the difference for more space and attention.

Room Tip: Stay far from the elevator
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank jaydeeemdee
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to thoroughly review your stay with us on your recent trip to Chicago. We certainly appreciate and respect all feedback. We’re glad you took advantage of our convenient location right in the heart of downtown Chicago and of course our comfy, cozy bedding. We’d like to address your comment regarding LEED certification. As Chicago’s first hotel designed to meet LEED Silver certification, we deliver an enriching experience that not only benefits the guests, but the environment as well. The hotel’s design includes many ongoing eco-friendly efficiencies. For example, the water waste reduction plumbing alone saves 1 million gallons of water annually. These efficiencies help the environment and in turn help our guests. We’re proud of our eco-friendly efforts and our strides to lessen our carbon footprint. We feel that it is our responsibility to be eco-conscious and mindful of the environment in our design and actions. At the same time, we do our best to maintain the highest level of guest satisfaction while you are on site. We’re happy you submitted your review and also please don’t hesitate to reach out to us with any questions during your stay in the future. Thanks again.
Madison
Reviewed February 24, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed three nights in the Hotel Felix for pleasure. The hotel was clean and modern but quite small in size. The room is fine for business travelers and couples with no children. I'm VERY glad we found a sitter because there is NO WAY we could have squeezed a pack'n'play in that room and still have met fire safety standards...

The hotel staff was very polite. I would suggest going DOWN to the front desk if you have an issue however. Each time we called guest services they did not complete the task even after HOURS of waiting--for CUPS or PILLOWS! Easy things... but after going down the desk they were given to us right away.

The location was quite good. A few blocks away from the Michigan Ave, near the Cathedral district. There is a whole foods kitty corner from the hotel which is quite convenient.

Overall, nice for a quick weekend trip with your sig other or a business trip, but not if you have kids.

Room Tip: Corners are nice and ice machines are located on EVEN numbered floors only.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MommyLovesChanel
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Thank you for your recent visit while in the Windy City. We're happy to hear you and your husband enjoyed Chicago's first LEED certified hotel and appreciate our convenient location in the center of downtown Chicago. We will also check with our front desk and conduct remedial training as necessary regarding communication with guests. Thank you and we hope to see you and your husband again soon!