1,159 results
All reviews rooms are small the magnificent mile great location free breakfast trader joes yogurt downtown chicago the breakfast area mag mile place to sleep navy pier front desk staff michigan ave walked everywhere few blocks an older hotel self park
Reviewed June 28, 2005

My 4 night stay at the Cass was great. The room with 2 beds was plenty spacious and included a refrigerator. The air conditioner kept me cool and comfy in spite of the 95 degree days I got to "enjoy." Sure, the bathroom is small and the towels were kind of thin, but good enough to dry me off. The shower had good pressure. My room overlooked the garden of the historic house on Erie, around the corner. And I loved having a drink with the regulars in the Sea of Happiness Bar. If you can find a comparable hotel in the area, go for it, but I think you'll be hard-pressed to find one.

Date of stay: June 2005
13  Thank Gawdpdx
Reviewed June 26, 2005

I have stayed at the Cass twice, once in June, 2002, and just this month; both trips were for nearly a week each. I was pleased overall on both stays. The first year, I booked on line for $69. This time, the internet specials were not available, so I called and got a room with a King bed for $99. Other hotels were renting rooms at no less than about $299 during the same time period. My room was clean, furnishings OK, and even had a refrigerator. The lighting was not necessarily the best, and there was no shampoo. However, for $200 a day, I can buy a lot of shampoo! In fact, with that savings I could also buy a nice bath towel if I had so desired. And, I didn't rent the room to be awed by mood lighting! The location is excellent, with several good restaurants right in the area, and just 2 blocks from Michigan Ave. The room had no view, but it was very quiet since it was not facing the street. I have not ever seen anyone there that would fit the description of "undesirable". I will definitely stay at the Cass again.

Date of stay: June 2005
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
19  Thank AlabamaTraveler61
Reviewed June 13, 2005

We had been trying since January to find a reasonably priced hotel for our trip to Chicago in late May. Everything within reason was well over $200 for a convenient location. Since we don't have much room for compromise in the cleanliness category, we were reluctant to take a chance with a more economical two star hotel. After doing lots of research, we decided to take a chance on the Cass Hotel located two blocks off of North Michigan Avenue. Upon entering the lobby, we were really concerned about we had gotten ourselves into. There is absolutely no ambiance, few ammenities, and a very sparce feeling. Our room was pretty much the same and without any view. HOWEVER !!! it was as clean as a whistle. The room itself was fairly roomy, adequate bathroom, not one single odd aroma, freshly laundered bedspreads. The best part of our decision to stay here was that the location relative to what we had planned to do could not have been any better. If you're looking for a hotel with more than bare bones economy, don't waste your time. If you want a clean, convenient place to shower and sleep, this just might fit your needs.

17  Thank gec1211
Reviewed June 3, 2005

Compared to the surrounding high class hotels Cass hotel is kind of shabby but still the rooms are clean without any indulgence. Make sure you get a room where the windows can be opened, my room was smoky when I arrived, after one and a half days one could stay in it without getting a headache. There's a breakfast café in the lobby but I didn't eat there but the first morning when I was supposed to get a free welcome breakfast (if that's part of your travel offer, too, get a coupon at the reception desk). The location is fantastic, two short blocks to Magnificent Mile, short distances to Navy pier and Chicago river, subway Grand station not too far. If you're outdoors most of the day - why not!?

Date of stay: May 2005
18  Thank Lomea
Reviewed May 23, 2005

My husband and I, plus my aunt and college-age cousin, stayed at the Cass Hotel for three nights in early May, 2005. This is a great location, at a bargain price.

My husband and I had a small room located next to the elevators on the 7th floor. It had one double bed. Although it was very small, it suited us just fine. We pretty much were only in the room to sleep and shower. It was clean, quiet, and had a window that opened. Our towels were a little on the thin and small side, but they were clean. We didn't actually turn on the TV but apparently they do have cable.

My aunt and cousin had a room with 2 double beds, and their room was significantly larger, with two windows (again, one that opened). Again, it was clean and quiet, and they had no complaints.

The front desk staff was friendly, especially the night desk guy. There is a small coffee shop that serves breakfast in the morning, which we didn't eat at. The Sea of Happiness lounge is indeed friendly! I think that they may be renovating the hotel, as we saw workers during our stay. If you stay here, walk around the corner to see the amazing and historic home that's right next door.

Again, the price was right, the location was great, and it was clean and safe. It's not the Park Hyatt, but it's easy on the budget. We would absolutely stay here again.

Date of stay: May 2005