1,140 results
All reviewsrooms are smallthe magnificent milegreat locationfree breakfastyogurttwo blockstrader joesdowntown chicagothe breakfast areamag mileplace to sleepnavy piermichigan avefront desk staffwalked everywherean older hotelself park
Reviewed June 13, 2005

We had been trying since January to find a reasonably priced hotel for our trip to Chicago in late May. Everything within reason was well over $200 for a convenient location. Since we don't have much room for compromise in the cleanliness category, we were reluctant to take a chance with a more economical two star hotel. After doing lots of research, we decided to take a chance on the Cass Hotel located two blocks off of North Michigan Avenue. Upon entering the lobby, we were really concerned about we had gotten ourselves into. There is absolutely no ambiance, few ammenities, and a very sparce feeling. Our room was pretty much the same and without any view. HOWEVER !!! it was as clean as a whistle. The room itself was fairly roomy, adequate bathroom, not one single odd aroma, freshly laundered bedspreads. The best part of our decision to stay here was that the location relative to what we had planned to do could not have been any better. If you're looking for a hotel with more than bare bones economy, don't waste your time. If you want a clean, convenient place to shower and sleep, this just might fit your needs.

17  Thank gec1211
Reviewed June 3, 2005

Compared to the surrounding high class hotels Cass hotel is kind of shabby but still the rooms are clean without any indulgence. Make sure you get a room where the windows can be opened, my room was smoky when I arrived, after one and a half days one could stay in it without getting a headache. There's a breakfast café in the lobby but I didn't eat there but the first morning when I was supposed to get a free welcome breakfast (if that's part of your travel offer, too, get a coupon at the reception desk). The location is fantastic, two short blocks to Magnificent Mile, short distances to Navy pier and Chicago river, subway Grand station not too far. If you're outdoors most of the day - why not!?

• Stayed: May 2005
18  Thank Lomea
Reviewed May 23, 2005

My husband and I, plus my aunt and college-age cousin, stayed at the Cass Hotel for three nights in early May, 2005. This is a great location, at a bargain price.

My husband and I had a small room located next to the elevators on the 7th floor. It had one double bed. Although it was very small, it suited us just fine. We pretty much were only in the room to sleep and shower. It was clean, quiet, and had a window that opened. Our towels were a little on the thin and small side, but they were clean. We didn't actually turn on the TV but apparently they do have cable.

My aunt and cousin had a room with 2 double beds, and their room was significantly larger, with two windows (again, one that opened). Again, it was clean and quiet, and they had no complaints.

The front desk staff was friendly, especially the night desk guy. There is a small coffee shop that serves breakfast in the morning, which we didn't eat at. The Sea of Happiness lounge is indeed friendly! I think that they may be renovating the hotel, as we saw workers during our stay. If you stay here, walk around the corner to see the amazing and historic home that's right next door.

Again, the price was right, the location was great, and it was clean and safe. It's not the Park Hyatt, but it's easy on the budget. We would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2005
13  Thank Dreamer25860
Reviewed March 7, 2005

When we vacation, we like to spend more $$ on outdoor activities than our room. This was the perfect place to crash -clean, comfy bed. We've stayed here twice, and the 2nd time they already had newer, softer towels and some renovated rooms. I love the authenticity of the building, and of course the LOCATION!! I recommend Cass Hotel if you plan on spending more time and money outdoors than indoors.

• Stayed: February 2005
12  Thank Sherpa35612
Reviewed February 24, 2005

The place might look a little shabby from outside, but it really has a great offer at a very convenient price, in an amazing location, a 10 minute walk from michigan av. and 3 minutes from the nearest CTA station.

There's nothing "hip" in this hotel, everything is very simple and basic.

But everything works perfectly. The staff is friendly and well disposed.
The rooms are not big or luxurious, but are well equipped (with a big refrigerator and kitchenette), clean and confortable. They offered *free* wi-fi connection in the lobby. The cafeteria is a bit poor on the "looks side", but it offers a nice breakfast, cooked at the moment, for a very nice price (way less then your average starbucks).

Two thumbs up for cass hotel!

Marcello