1,147 results
All reviews rooms are small the magnificent mile free breakfast great location trader joes yogurt two blocks downtown chicago the breakfast area mag mile place to sleep navy pier michigan ave front desk staff walked everywhere an older hotel self park
Reviewed January 16, 2005

I almost hate to give the Cass a great review for fear that people may catch on and then my little get away place in Chicago may be discovered and it may not be as easy to get a room. BUT, they deserve the props after some nit-picky people gave it such stinky reviews. I have stayed at Cass twice and definitely plan to go back. The cheap price and great location make it a must for anyone traveling on a budget, especially the younger crowd looking for a place to shack after they party downtown. It is within walking distance to basically anywhere you would want to go. You may have to take a taxi to get to some clubs, but my sister and I walked to White Star and surrounding areas with no problems. Seriously though, what do some people expect to get from a $87 room in downtown Chicago. The accomodations are far from luxurious. I suggest bringing soap and shampoo. No samples here. Maybe you should bring a towel too. I think they mistake hand towels for bath towels. Anyhow, if you are looking to party it up and don't plan on spending the day/weekend holed up in your room, then check out Cass. Just try to keep it a secret. :)

20  Thank yellowpigs
Reviewed January 4, 2005

I can't speak to the experiences of some of the people who gave poor reviews of the Cass Hotel here on TripAdvisor, but I've stayed at the Cass Hotel a couple of times with the most recent stay being one week in length and I can recommend it. What comes to mind when I first stepped foot in this hotel was " Europe " as this hotel reminded me of pretty much every inexpensive hotel I stayed in during my trips to Europe(especially the City Panzio Ring Hotel in Budapest, Hungary). The Cass Hotel has basic amenities so don't expect too much beyond what you are paying. On-line, we booked our room for about $65/night for the week and I think we got our money's worth. We didn't stay at the Cass Hotel for the " views out of our room window " ( I've stayed in $250/night rooms in downtown Chicago and had views of trash dumpsters and parking lots) or for their range of services(no spas here) or for their dining accommodations. We stayed at the Cass Hotel because of the location. You're not going to find anything at that price in that location in Downtown Chicago. Location, Location, Location. That's what the Cass Hotel is all about. The rooms are as clean as any cut-rate lodging chain(Red Roof Inn, Motel 6, etc.) so I am not certain why any of the reviewers would write that the rooms are " filthy, dirty, etc. " as we didn't see any of that during our stays. During our last stay and because we stayed a week, the Cass Hotel upgraded us to a room with a king-sized bed. We had a TV, air conditioner, heater, and refrigerator in our room. Our room with the king size bed looked just like the room pictured on the web site. There are basic laundry facilities and Internet access on the main floor. The towels are a bit industrial and thin/rough......but they are clean. Our room was cleaned(fresh sheets, towels, trash removed, etc.) daily and we had no issue with this or with the room not being clean. The area is one of the safest in downtown Chicago as well. So if you are looking for just the basic lodging amenities and are coming to Chicago to explore downtown, I can recommend the Cass Hotel.

22  Thank Travel11897
Reviewed December 13, 2004

We stayed at the Cass 12-10-2004. I read the reviews on this site and decided to give it a try. We were in town for the weekend and were out sight seeing and shopping most of the time. We had a good experience. The rooms are small but they are clean, quiet, and the location is tough to beat. It is true that the towels are small, thin, and scratchy. Wouldn't be a bad idea to bring an extra one with you. I think if you plan to stay at this hotel you need to understand it is not the Ritz and you will not be disappointed. If you want a fancy hotel with a large room and plan to spend alot of time in your room, you may want to find another hotel. I would stay at the Cass again.

16  Thank Travel28795
Reviewed November 25, 2004

We stayed at the Cass Mid November, the location is excellent, just 2 blocks from Michagan Avenue and within walking distance of Navy Pier, Hancock Centre etc. The hotel has a dorm feel to it, Reception is very bare and un welcoming, they mixed our booking up and gave us (2 guys) a small double room, we asked to be moved but they would not budge and after 2 days (of a 4 day stay) we had to accept it. The room we were in was a bit dingy and had stained carpeting and lampshade. Towels in the bathroom were scratchy and small, the cafe is only open in the morning so when you arrive after a long flight you have to then venture out to find something to eat. The Sea of Happiness bar is ok, Laura the bartender was very friendly and the Beer extremely reasonable. I would recommend this hotel for a stopover of if you are on a tight budget but next time I would prefer to pay the extra and stay somewhere confortable - and with friendly staff!

8  Thank rickwal
Reviewed November 17, 2004

Well I said that I'd be back in my first review of the Cass dated Oct 22nd 2003. I stayed at the hotel for the week 8 to 15 Nov this year.

Once again it was excellent value for money. The staff were very friendly and helpful and there's now access to WiFi in the cafe . You can eat breakfast and surf The Net at the same time !

The room was again spotless as was the bathroom and once again I had a mini Fridge to keep all those munchies fresh. Jewel Osco supermarket is just around the corner as is a red line El' stop.

I'll be back for a third visit next year !

• Stayed: November 2004