1,140 results
All reviewsrooms are smallthe magnificent milegreat locationfree breakfastyogurttwo blockstrader joesdowntown chicagothe breakfast areamag mileplace to sleepnavy piermichigan avefront desk staffwalked everywherean older hotelself park
Reviewed January 4, 2005

I can't speak to the experiences of some of the people who gave poor reviews of the Cass Hotel here on TripAdvisor, but I've stayed at the Cass Hotel a couple of times with the most recent stay being one week in length and I can recommend it. What comes to mind when I first stepped foot in this hotel was " Europe " as this hotel reminded me of pretty much every inexpensive hotel I stayed in during my trips to Europe(especially the City Panzio Ring Hotel in Budapest, Hungary). The Cass Hotel has basic amenities so don't expect too much beyond what you are paying. On-line, we booked our room for about $65/night for the week and I think we got our money's worth. We didn't stay at the Cass Hotel for the " views out of our room window " ( I've stayed in $250/night rooms in downtown Chicago and had views of trash dumpsters and parking lots) or for their range of services(no spas here) or for their dining accommodations. We stayed at the Cass Hotel because of the location. You're not going to find anything at that price in that location in Downtown Chicago. Location, Location, Location. That's what the Cass Hotel is all about. The rooms are as clean as any cut-rate lodging chain(Red Roof Inn, Motel 6, etc.) so I am not certain why any of the reviewers would write that the rooms are " filthy, dirty, etc. " as we didn't see any of that during our stays. During our last stay and because we stayed a week, the Cass Hotel upgraded us to a room with a king-sized bed. We had a TV, air conditioner, heater, and refrigerator in our room. Our room with the king size bed looked just like the room pictured on the web site. There are basic laundry facilities and Internet access on the main floor. The towels are a bit industrial and thin/rough......but they are clean. Our room was cleaned(fresh sheets, towels, trash removed, etc.) daily and we had no issue with this or with the room not being clean. The area is one of the safest in downtown Chicago as well. So if you are looking for just the basic lodging amenities and are coming to Chicago to explore downtown, I can recommend the Cass Hotel.

22  Thank Travel11897
Reviewed December 13, 2004

We stayed at the Cass 12-10-2004. I read the reviews on this site and decided to give it a try. We were in town for the weekend and were out sight seeing and shopping most of the time. We had a good experience. The rooms are small but they are clean, quiet, and the location is tough to beat. It is true that the towels are small, thin, and scratchy. Wouldn't be a bad idea to bring an extra one with you. I think if you plan to stay at this hotel you need to understand it is not the Ritz and you will not be disappointed. If you want a fancy hotel with a large room and plan to spend alot of time in your room, you may want to find another hotel. I would stay at the Cass again.

16  Thank Travel28795
Reviewed November 25, 2004

We stayed at the Cass Mid November, the location is excellent, just 2 blocks from Michagan Avenue and within walking distance of Navy Pier, Hancock Centre etc. The hotel has a dorm feel to it, Reception is very bare and un welcoming, they mixed our booking up and gave us (2 guys) a small double room, we asked to be moved but they would not budge and after 2 days (of a 4 day stay) we had to accept it. The room we were in was a bit dingy and had stained carpeting and lampshade. Towels in the bathroom were scratchy and small, the cafe is only open in the morning so when you arrive after a long flight you have to then venture out to find something to eat. The Sea of Happiness bar is ok, Laura the bartender was very friendly and the Beer extremely reasonable. I would recommend this hotel for a stopover of if you are on a tight budget but next time I would prefer to pay the extra and stay somewhere confortable - and with friendly staff!

8  Thank rickwal
Reviewed November 17, 2004

Well I said that I'd be back in my first review of the Cass dated Oct 22nd 2003. I stayed at the hotel for the week 8 to 15 Nov this year.

Once again it was excellent value for money. The staff were very friendly and helpful and there's now access to WiFi in the cafe . You can eat breakfast and surf The Net at the same time !

The room was again spotless as was the bathroom and once again I had a mini Fridge to keep all those munchies fresh. Jewel Osco supermarket is just around the corner as is a red line El' stop.

I'll be back for a third visit next year !

• Stayed: November 2004
17  Thank McGuinty
Reviewed November 1, 2004

I will NEVER pay $150 plus for a room in downtown Chicago again. The Cass Hotel is in a great location, just a short walk from Michigan Avenue shopping, at maybe half the price of most downtown hotels. This is not a luxury hotel but our room was clean and suited our needs, a clean place to sleep and shower! We stopped off in the hotel bar, "Captain George's Sea of Happiness Lounge" (what a great name) downstairs and had a drink. A small, no frills place with a good jukebox and Laura the bartender took good care of us. The front desk staff was VERY friendly and I would recommend the Cass Hotel to anyone. Especially those who don't want to spend a lot of money. You can park your car at the parking garage next door and have your ticket validated at the Cass front desk. Discounted rate of $19 a day but we paid $35 a day for parking at another downtown hotel. The Cass is close to so many stores (you can see Nordstrom from the hotel) and restaurants and there are 2 Redline El stops within a short walking distance if you want to venture outside of downtown. I wished I would have known about the Cass Hotel before blowing all kinds of money on big name, big price Chicago hotels. My experience at the Cass was excellent and I have already booked a room for my next visit to Chicago.

• Stayed: January 2005