“Great location, but tiny rooms!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel Cass

Holiday Inn Express Hotel Cass
Ranked #108 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Madeira Beach, Florida
“Great location, but tiny rooms!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Since this was our first time in Chicago in many years I can't remember if all hotels have such small rooms or if that is what you give up to be so close to all the city's amenities. We loved the location and the staff were friendly and helpful. We just felt we were on top of eachother since this was one of several stops on our vacation and we had a fair amount of luggage to step over to get around the room.

I will want to check out some other places in the area the next time I come in town to see what else is available in the same price range and location to see if they have more room.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelCass, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Cass, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Hi Diana H, thank you for your review. To your point, our rooms are comparable in size to similar hotels in the downtown Chicago area. We're so glad our team was able to make your stay a pleasant one. We thank you again for your review and have a nice day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
ontario canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

This was my first trip to Chicago and I was happy to see that customer service is alive and well in Chicago, especially at the Hotel Cass. Every employee from front desk to housekeeping to doormen would always make sure to ask how I was enjoying my stay. I asked for a small fridge and it was delivered within minutes of asking. The breakfast buffet had great selection of hot and cold items (great cinnamon buns), coffee available all day as well as ice cold water and lemon. The rooms are quite small I had a single room Queen bed, although small they were very comfortable.
The location was perfect, right in the middle of shopping and dining. Walking distance to most everything else.
The only negative comment I would have is the bed pillows seemed too soft although they were marked "firm".
The one person that I must comment on was the person working the front desk I believe his name was Michael Smith, this amazingly patient person spent half an hour helping me solve a mix up I had with a shuttle bus. He went above and beyond. As I was watching Michael make several phone calls to solve my transportation problem, I had the unique pleasure of watching his co-worker (red hair) can't remember her name. she was the consummate professional when dealing with hotel guest's. So yes customer service is alive and well at the Cass Hotel.
Would I recommend this hotel to anyone? YES ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT

2 Thank tonyfromcanada
Hi TonyfromCanada, thank you for your review! We are so happy to be your host on your first trip to our city. We greatly appreciate your gracious comments about our team members, we make it our goal to ensure our guests have the best experience possible and we're thrilled you did! We're here for our guests 24/7 and are glad we made your stay a pleasant one. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Chicago. Thanks again!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I gave the hotel the benefit of putting 4 stars, though I must say I typically would have taken away a star for each of my three concerns. First I'll start off with the positives. It is hard to beat this location. The room was very clean with minimal marks on the walls. The television was huge, with a pretty extensive cable package. Ice machines were conveniently located on just about every other floor. The hotel gym was small, but offered a full work-out. The breakfast at this hotel is even better than alot of the H.I. Expresses I have traveled to. Also, this hotel has a friendly staff, Corey at the front desk and Aziz who was a bellman were always warm and friendly to us. Unfortunately there are a few glaring problems though. At check-in I asked the bellman (not Aziz) for an extra ice bucket. He told me there is a phone on my desk to call the front desk for that. I'm sorry sir, you are in the hospitality industry, unacceptable answer, and to think I just handed you what I felt was a generous tip for 3 small bags on a cart. Obviously this bellman would be walking by the front desk, it would not be hard to mention this himself to the agent, some customer service training is needed here. My second complaint is that I would have been better suited using a bag of cotton balls as a pillow. From my understanding those pillow cases are marked because it is a brand standard to have 2 firm pillows and 2 soft pillows per bed. All pillows were the same, and frankly I was disgusted by them, never in my life have I complained about a pillow until this trip. My third complaint, the towels in the bathroom. I've been at some hotels with hard towels before, hey at least you are bleaching them. However, not only were these towels hard, but they were falling apart. It wasn't as if I only had one or two strings handing from the ends. I use higher quality towels to wash my car. Given the area, the pricing, and the brand I understand it is hard to seek perfection. But I must say, a few simple fixes can change this average experience to a 5-star, top of the line hotel stay. I just hope that management takes a look into their towels and pillows, because they are pretty important items for a hotel.

Room Tip: If you don't mind waiting a little extra for the elevator, ask for a high floor, its a nice view...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HotelCass, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Cass, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thanks for your review penguinsfan14! We're glad you enjoyed our location, delicious breakfast, gym, even our ice machines - truly, thank you! Regarding your experience with one of our bellman, we are looking into the issue and conducting remedial training as necessary. Our goal is to ensure our guests have the best experience possible and anything less is unacceptable. Thank you again and have a great day!
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

We ended up booking this hotel at the last minute due to our previous hotel being a complete disaster. The staff were very welcoming and nothing seemed to much trouble. Although we booked in a hurry and didn't research the hotel, we were pleasantly surprised by the location, cleanliness and friendliness of the staff. The hotel is in a great location with lots of restaurants and bars within walking distance and the subway is just around the corner. I would stay here again and would recommend it to anyone else looking for somewhere clean and cosy with a good location. The bed was so comfy as well!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NYCfan1
Thank you for your review NYCfan1! We're so pleased you enjoyed your stay at our property. We're glad you took advantage of our location in the heart of downtown Chicago - please visit us again soon!
Santa Clara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed with my family for a couple days. The staff was very friendly, always greeting everyone with smiles and hellos. Located near the Red line, it was easy to cross the city and downtown. The Trader Joe's and Starbucks across the street is great for snacks.
Complimentary breakfast is downstairs, the dining area is reasonably large and accommodates groups of all sizes. There is hot coffee, tea and water out all day. Yes, the room and bath are on the small side compared to more modern hotels, but this hotel was built in the 1920s.
Our room had two double beds which had small LED lights on both sides of both beds. My family thought the beds were very comfortable. There is a small dresser in the closet that probably would be more useful under the desk or more easily accessed, but we only stayed a couple days.
I'd stay again if I were visiting Chicago again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SharkeyMilo
Hi SharkeyMilo, thanks for your review! We're also big fans of TJ's and Starbucks and love that it's so closeby. We hope to see you and your family again soon! Thanks again.
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed here for two nights while in Chicago for my job. Overall I was very happy during my stay. The front desk clerk allowed me to check in early when I arrived and she was very nice. I got the exact room I paid for with a decent view from my 10th floor window. The room was seriously small, I knew that from reviews I had read previously, but I wasn't in the room all that much so it didn't really matter. It was clean and the bed was comfortable. I dont know how I would have felt if I had been staying in the room with someone, maybe it could have been too small in that circumstance. There were only a couple minor annoyances, one was the a/c unit vent, which is up high on the wall, blew directly onto the bed. And, both nights at some point I got a strong odor of cigarette smoke coming in from somewhere...have no idea if it was through the vents or what, no one was in the hallway. My room was non smoking and I didnt smell anything in the room itself. The location was great, close to pretty much everything I needed to do and to the things I wanted to see when I wasn't working. Word to the wise, parking is ridiculously expensive, the umanned garage around the corner was $39 for 24 hour period. The hotel will valet but I had read some crazy stuff reference it being a long wait to retrieve your car, and, I believe its parked in the garage around the corner lol So, before I went I scoped out lots in the area within reasonable walking distance. There is a lot at 6 Erie and its 25 dollars a day. There is an attendant there 24/7 and you can go in and out and leave the car overnight. If you come out of the hotel and turn left you make the first left and walk down one block, the lot is across from the 7/11 on the corner. Its a good deal. There are alot of good places to eat in the direct area and there seems to be a Starbucks every couple of blocks including one right across the street. I'd stay here for a personal trip if I ever went back. Its worth the price compared to other hotels in the area.

1 Thank BlSteel716
Thanks for your review BISteel716! We're thrilled you had a wonderful experience with us and we hope we get the pleasure of seeing you again. Have a great day!
Appleton, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

The rooms as you can see from the rest of the reviews, are small. Don't expect much space in either the bathroom or bedroom.
Bed was relatively comfortable. Can hear EVERYTHING going on in the hallway. Elevator is EXTREMELY slow, took the stairs.
We mainly stayed here for location, which is EXCELLENT. Right in heart of downtown Chicago.
Overall the service was great. Bellman were helpful.
Some of the front desk people need some tips in customer service as we were ignored as they were chatting with other employees of the hotel about personal topics.
Expect to valet park your car!
Overall a good experience, would stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HotelCass, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Cass, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Hi Jessica, thank you for providing your review following your stay with us! We're very glad you enjoyed our location in the heart of downtown Chicago. We're also glad our team helped make your stay a pleasant one. Regarding the issue with the front desk staff, we're looking into this and will conduct remedial training as necessary. Our team works hard to make sure our guests have the best experience possible and anything less is unacceptable. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon!