“Convenient and Modern”

Ranked #110 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
New York
“Convenient and Modern”
Reviewed January 31, 2008

My mom and I stayed here for one night while visiting Chicago to see an Oprah taping. We needed a clean room for a short overnight trip and the Holiday Inn Hotel Cass did the trick. The red line train is two blocks away on E. Grand Ave and taxis are easy to access in front. Restaurants surround the area. Each staff member we encountered was pleasant and helpful. The lobby is nicely updated with a fireplace and sitting area. A complimentary breakfast is available beginning at 6:30am on weekdays in the lobby and I was impressed by the spread. The room, though compact, was clean, modern and agreeable for the price. We had a room on the street side offering us a nice view of the sears tower and other high rises.

On the negative side, the walls are thin and I could hear our neighbor’s TV and sirens from outside. A housekeeping cart was parked in front of our room making it impossible to enter without moving it and thankfully, we did because it remained outside our door our entire visit. The bathrooms, while nice, are tiny with no counter space. And although the hotel has been updated, perhaps the bathroom piping has not because it made a funny, loud belching sound every time the toilet flushed. But these concerns were minor during our one night stay and I was satisfied with our choice.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — thin walls
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Austin, TX
Reviewed January 8, 2008

Not your average Holiday Inn Express!
This hotel had an elegant feel just a couple blocks off Michigan Avenue. Old brick building, nice lobby, great staff. The doorman was exceptional. Room are quite small but nicely appointed. The location can't be beat...walk to everything..shopping, dining, Art Institute, Millennium Park. Very reasonably priced for the great location. I would definitely stay there again on my next trip to Chicago and would recommend it to friends also.

• Liked — location, location, location
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 4, 2008

I have not read all the reviews here but the hotel is certainly a far cry from the bad reviews it received in 2003. The rooms are basic yet pleasant. It has been remodled in recent times. The bathrooms were new and spotless. The rooms don't look chique as they do in the Holiday Inn website but don't be discouraged by this. I am fussy about hotels and I had no complaints. What surprised me the most, was the outstanding service by the staff from the doorman, check in, and housekeeping. I would have thought I was staying in the most expensive hotel in Chicago by the high level of service here. It was so good that although I have stayed at places a little nicer in the same price class in the neighborhood, the service really stood out and I will stay here again because of it. They had a "real" complimentary breakfast with scrambled eggs and cinamon rolls on the menu, one of the better free breakfasts i have experienced.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — the heater made noise
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank 123john
uk
Reviewed January 3, 2008

Just returned from a 5 night stay at the Hotel Cass/Holiday Inn express in Chicago.
From arriving to departing we found the staff freindly and welcoming.Yes the rooms are on the small side but are in good condition,..bed was comfortable,flat screen tv on the wall,in room safe,iron and board etc,....the bathroom was very small but in excellent condition.The location is excellent,we walked everywhere,mag mile,sears tower,hancock observation deck,grant park,navy pier.Plenty of restraunts in the area and a starbucks over the road.We never had the free breakfast,but helped ourselves to coffee when we returned to the hotel in the afternoon.All in all we would recommend this hotel to anyone planning a visit to chicago,you just can,t beat it for price and location.We will definatley return to the hotel cass when visiting this great city again,...next time in the warmer months of the year!!!

• Liked — Location and Price
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed January 3, 2008

Here for New Year's Eve, 12/29/07 to 1/1/08. Reserved a room with 2 beds - none available entire stay. Apparently very few rooms with 2 beds. Had 1 queen bed - very comfy and nice linens. The room was TINY, but functional. Nice towels and toiletries (vanilla/sugar/cinnamon scented -- yummy). Nice wall-mounted flat panel TV with many movie choices. Excellent free hot breakfast every day: eggs, fresh bicuits, sausage gravy, sausage, bacon, cinnamon rolls, toast, bagels, cereal, fruit, coffee, tea, milk, 4 choices of juice. Staff very friendly and helpful; delightful doorman. Very convenient location -- 2 blocks off Michigan Avenue, and walking distance to water tower to the north, and to auditorium to the south. Easy CTA train and bus connections. Despite the small room, I would recommend this hotel for couples or friends for a long weekend jaunt. It was newly remodeled in April 07 I believe. Only negative was one of the two elevators broke on the massive checkout day of Jan 1.

• Liked — Location, price
  • Disliked — Small room size
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
Ottumwa, Iowa
Reviewed December 25, 2007

We just got back from a three night stay at the Holiday Inn Express/Hotel Cass. We paid $90/night, which we thought was a real bargain for the close proximity to all the sights/shopping we were taking in.

The lobby is very nicely decorated in a modern theme, as are the rooms. The rooms are SMALL, but it really didn't bother us for a three night stay. The hotel staff we met were excellent, both the front desk personnel and the two doormen (the doormen were really top notch).

We thought the breakfast was great for being included in the room price - they had all the regular colds (danishes/muffins/bagels/cereals/yogurt/fruit), plus bacon/sausage/gravy/eggs. The eggs were not hot, so that wasn't good, but the rest was very good.

We walked to Ed Debovics (daughter loved this place), Giardano's Pizza, Lawry's Prime Rib, Michigan Avenue, the Lego Store, plus much, much more. Short cab rides (under $8) got us to Sears Tower, Navy Pier and Macy's State Street. This hotel is so centrally located, that for the price, unless you are claustrophobic, it is a definate must .

• Liked — Great doormen and central location.
  • Disliked — Small rooms.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
North Pole, Alaska
Reviewed December 23, 2007

This property goes well beyond HIE’s reputation of a Spartan & no frills approach to room amenities and locale. As a platinum Priority Awards member, I stay at many IC properties every year, and this was the best property I stayed at this year by far (sorry Holiday Inn SFO Golden Gateway).

This property doesn't look like a Holiday Inn Express except for the "Holiday Inn Express" signage above the front door. A doorman opened the door and welcomed us, leading us to the very impressive and simple décor in the front lobby.

I arrived at 1000hrs and was promptly checked in with my traveling companion without incident. The front desk staff weren’t snide or rude by any means, but were rather quite proficient and genuine I must say. Some properties you can get great service and understand how they can be rude to other travelers that submit reviews on here, but I really didn't see how that could be possible, with the front desk clerks that I dealt with, at least. The front desk staff were not abrupt or rude, neither were they obnoxious or phony. After the entire checkin process, they even asked if I have "any questions about the local area", and a map was offered. We were assigned room 605.

The hallways were extremely small and cramped and so was the room. There was enough space to walk and leave my luggage. The usage of a flat screen tv (with HD channels!) was a good choice. Despite the small size, the room made very good use of space. The double bed was spacious, that’s all I care about. Remember that this is central Chicago, not suburban Kansas, so the rooms are going to be sized accordingly. The decoration of the room was incredible and way beyond what you would expect for a HIE. The bathroom was small but the usage of a wall mounted counter was wise. The shower was great but the inner shower curtain was full of mildew. Otherwise, no complains with the maintenance. The view from the room was, well, claustrophobic. I didn’t mind it too much and I think it was kind of nice and a bit charming, to be honest. Everything in the room worked; plugins, 802.11, lights, climate control, everything.

I always find holiday inn express hotels to have the best service due to the simple approach to the manner in which they operate. However, ‘The Cass’ went way beyond what I have experienced with past HIE properties. The property’s doorman acted way more professionally and genuinely than doormen that I have seen at a Westin or Hyatt. He would offer to summon cabs, ask if you knew where you were going, he would even say 'welcome back' when I drunkenly stumbled into the hotel at 9pm. Service all around was great. I wasn't very demanding this trip, however, so I cannot say how good the service can get.

The breakfast area was superb; at any hour (even after drinks at the late hour of, yes, 9pm) you can help yourself to coffee, tea, milk, and yogurt. There were even two computers that you can use (gratis) which are hidden behind the breakfast lounge. What I think would be a nice touch for this space that’s largely vacant 20 hours a day is if they had evening snacks, maybe even an honor bar? I know it's not very holiday inn express’y, but it would be very boutique. The breakfast was also great, albeit of no nutritional value except the bananas. There was cereal, cinnamon buns, and a "hot food coming soon!" sign where the hot food should go. Along with the lack of any nutritional breakfasts, my beef is that this breakfast only ran from 0630-0930, but I suppose this caters best to their business traveler/middle aged tourist demographic that dominates this hotel.

Check out was great. Hours before checkout, we asked for a late check out of 1600hrs, but we were told that we would have to pay a half day rate for this. I asked the latest free check out that we could get which was 1330hrs. I played the 'I'm platinum' card and they pushed over to 1500hrs. I think that was a fair compromise (although it's a long stride from the westin's 4pm no questions asked guarantee). The check out was under 60 seconds and without incident.

The location was amazing, you had a jewel osco for your grocery and cheap liquor needs four blocks south west, CTA three blocks (grand/state station?) south and west, mag mile three blocks east, and lots of great places to eat within blocks. the Hancock Observatory and MCA are very close to the east as well. Tip with the Hancock Observatory: go to the bar and buy a $12 (triple) martini. Not only do you get a drink for the same price as one in Toronto or some other Scandinavian/Canadian city, you can enjoy it from the 95th floor overlooking Chicago in a very unpretentious environment (dress business casual at least, unless you want to look like an [--]). Besides, it's the same cost as admission to the family-filled observatory anyways.

Apart from my suggestions that the breakfast should run later, evening snacks would be a nice touch, and that the shower curtain in 605 needs to get changed (badly), nothing could have gone better. This property will be my first choice for a future stay in Chicago at any rate. The managers here know how to run a hotel and it shows. Book this property, you will not regret it. And if the other reviews deter you: remember that this is a Holiday Inn Express, not a W. If you pay $150/night, you get $150/night in amenities. If you want the W, fork over $400/night.

• Liked — amazing location, great service, i loved the room
  • Disliked — the limited breakfast menu and hours
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business