1,140 results
All reviewsrooms are smallthe magnificent milegreat locationfree breakfastyogurttwo blockstrader joesdowntown chicagothe breakfast areamag mileplace to sleepnavy piermichigan avefront desk staffwalked everywherean older hotelself park
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Front desk did not recognize Platinum status and did not offer any elite benefits. The clerk who checked me in and out was unfriendly and cold. I was given a room so tiny that my walk-in closet at home is bigger! Internet connection required re-logging in every time the laptop reawakened from hibernation, which was annoying and time-consuming. The queen bed was one of the worst I have slept in, totally unsupportive and with a deep sag in the middle. Bathroom amenities were poorly supplied with some items missing. The climate control system was very uncomfortable ... it was loud, and alternated between blowing hot and cold air which was very strange. Soundproofing in the room was very poor, and noises from the street and from the hallway were both clearly and disturbingly audible. Breakfast was indifferent, they were out of hot water for tea, the omelets had been sitting in the chafing-dish for so long that they were leathery, and the bananas were bruised and over-ripe. The only good thing was the location.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
HotelCass, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Cass, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2012

Thank you for your recent stay while visiting Chicago. We certainly pride ourselves on customer service and communication. We appreciate that you shared your experience, especially as a frequent traveler, and we hope that your needs have been met through our post communication via other channels. We also will conduct remedial training as appropriate with our team to ensure the highest level of communication with guests. Again, thank you.

Reviewed February 11, 2012

This hotel is located close to Mag Mile and has many restaurants and shops nearby. We were able to check in early and the front desk staff was very pleasant and welcoming. Our room was small, as expected in an older building, but was very clean. The bathroom had good lighting and a moderate amount of counter space. Free wireless worked great. Could have used a couple more electrical outlets near the desk and bed area. The breakfast is included and offers a nice selection of cereals, fruit, yogurt, omelets, sausage, hard boiled eggs, and my favorite - warm cinnamon rolls!

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have a city view
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location and amenities. We will pass on your sweet words to our staff.

Reviewed February 2, 2012

very nice desk staff at arrival and check in very easy,room and bathroom very good.hotel is a older 1 but i thought it was just fine.hotel is about 2 blocks from the mag mile,so there is heaps of shops close by and more places to eat than u can poke a stick at.recommmend chilles around the corner.breakfast was good with a egg choice thru to grits,potatoes and meats and ceral,youghurt and pancakes.
had a good 2 night stay and would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank kiwipaul_8
HotelCass, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Cass, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a response. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and our convenient location. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 26, 2012

This is a city hotel. A rebranded historical hotel in downtown Chicago. Formally known as the Cass Hotel (that what all the cabbies call it), it is a 1920 hotel with the small room you would expect for something built during that period.

The staff was outstanding , desk staff greated people by name, bell men were always around to hail a cab or take a bag, the housekeeping staff always said hello and smiled. Every request during my 5 day stay was met with a smile.

For a older hotel the breakfast space was ample, and due to the location it seconds for a relaxing lounge space. If you have a group this would be the place to meet, the rooms are too small for guest to hang out comfortably. Food was hot and on schedule.

They are having issues with the key cards. Many guest including myself had to have keys remade several times. I hope they fix this soon. It might be worth calling before booking if this would be a real inconvenience for you trip.

Location could not be better. Just a few blocks north of the river, there is many options for food and drink. Catch the Second City History of Chicago show in old town. The hotel is two blocks from the red line. Using the subway it is less than 10 minutes from the door to inside the loop.

The few homeless are found a couple of blocks south toward the loop area. It is customary in the area to have your left over boxed up and pass them to the homeless on your walk home. Just meet their eye and they will politely ask you if you have leftovers. I always received a warm thank you for my generosity.

Parking is a bit expensive, $40 valet, and $39 self park. Taxi from the airport is only $38 and the blue line is only $5. So unless you need a car, don’t bring one. I parked in a lot on the west side of the river for only $10 per day, but it’s a 3/4 mile walk.

Room Tip: It is reported that room that end with "8" are larger.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Kazoo_Bruce
HotelCass, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Cass, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2012

Thank you for your detailed response, we appreciate you taking the time to do so. We are glad that you enjoyed our convenient location in the heart of downtown. We hope to see you in Chicago again soon.

Reviewed January 26, 2012

I was attending a conference and decided to go in a day early. I was not able to book a room at the "conference" hotel so I picked the Holiday Inn Express. I wish I did not have to leave! I must admit the room was very small (I have traveled a lot to Europe so I know small hotels), but this room had everything you needed! Plus no one should be in their room because they should be out seeing the sights. The staff was very helpful and the place was clean. The best part was the location! I can't wait to go back!

I forgot to mention that the rate I received was much lower than the Hampton Inn or similar hotels.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write a response. We are happy to hear that you took advantage of our amenities offered and our convenient location downtown. We hope you join us again soon.