“Great Location, Great Staff”

Best Western River North Hotel
Ranked #100 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Arnold, Missouri
“Great Location, Great Staff”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We chose this hotel for the location, price, parking included, and because it had an indoor pool. We were not disappointed. The location was close to most things we came to see, and public transportation was close. There was a variety of restaurants in walking distance. We felt safe coming and going in the evening and early morning even with a child. We could hear normal traffic noise in our room at night, but not at a level to bother me, and I am a person who likes quiet! The room was not large, but was comfortable and clean. The staff was great. They were knowledgeable and patiently answered all of my questions, including those about tourist sites and city transportation. When I come back to Chicago, I will stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Korean first
Michigian
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed for one night in Chicago during a busy weekend Oct. 27 (meaning, hotel prices were worse than usual)--this hotel must've had a cancellation because I got in within a week's notice for $209 plus tax. Getting there was easy. The location was good--I was there to see a play and I could walk to the theater (Goodman on Dearborn) as well as to Navy Pier and Michigan Avenue, which I liked--I hate cabs! I felt safe walking around (single woman). The room was okay--seemed clean--I liked the vanity area and the TV. Water pressure of shower was pretty weak. Gross view of a building but that's not a big deal. My room was within arms reach of the ice machine/vending machines--but I had brought ear plugs. Normally I would've asked for a room change, but I knew they were booked and I knew I could deal with it. . Staff was nice--gave me good directions. The cleaning staff was very nice (tip them, people). The pool was too cold for me to use. This is a no nonsense place that can tout a good location and free parking, which was cool (but I think next time I will just take the train because I really used a lot of gas from Michigan). I liked the coffee maker--no free breakfast, which I'm kind of used to from hotels like this. If you can get it for under $200, it's fine--no frills. But don't pay more than that.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Not really worthy of the Plus designation. Small, dated room made to look smaller by too much furniture, Very small bathroom. But bed comfortable, and a great location for downtown Chicago. "Free" parking - the fee built into the price of the room. Easy to find from the main freeways. Many restaurants in the area. Can walk to many of the downtown attractions - Navy Pier, Art Institute of Chicago, etc.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
RiverNorthHotel, Manager at Best Western River North Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for submitting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. We really appreciate the feedback. We're sorry to hear that the accommodations weren't to your liking. We did do renovations in 2011 in all our guest rooms but we apologize that this did not meet your expectations. The parking is always Free here (1 vehicle per room) and we take a lot of pride in assuring that Free actually means Free. Our regular room rates are just for the rooms and, we believe, are comparable to any other similar hotel in downtown. We do appreciate your compliments on the location and accessibility, and we hope your comments will guide other travelers as they consider staying with us. Thanks again.

Sam
Assoc. Marketing Mgr.
Ankeny, Iowa
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

In town for Nebraska game and hotel located just a few blocks from red line subway transportation and close to tons of restaurants and bars. Free parking, courteous staff. Parked car and never used it rest of weekend. Walked and used red line for everything.

1 Thank speedORcomfort
Glendale, AZ
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Most hotel rooms are very expensive in downtown Chicago. This one was $150.00 a night with free parking which is unheard of in downtown Chicago. The room was dated but clean and adequate. The elevators are another story. They are very slow. The #2 could take you 10 minutes to go 4-5 floors. You are right in the restaurant district and walking distance to Michigan Ave.

Room Tip: We had 528 the first time and 428 the second. You can hear road noise but it wasn't bad enough...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank RetiredFF
Indiana, United States
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Booked this room as it's the only place besides the Howard johnson to book in chicago. It's in a decent location, service was friendly. The day we checked out, we asked if we could leave our car a while as we wanted to do a few things before we headed home and they said it was ok, this saved a lot of money in parking. Would definatly stay again and regret not staying on my last visit to chicago.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
RiverNorthHotel, Manager at Best Western River North Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for providing a review of your experience and sharing it on TripAdvisor with us and our future guests. These are really valuable and we appreciate getting honest feedback.
I'm glad to see you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the Free Parking and convenience of the savings and getting to explore Chicago the afternoon of your checkout. We know this can make a big difference to our guests' experiences and we're happy to offer these services. We hope you'll remember us the next time you're in Chicago! We'd love to see you again and to offer other tips in order to help you get an even more memorable stay in Chicago.

Sam
Assoc. Marketing Mgr.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I just got back from a business trip to Chicago. Because of a large convention in town, the only hotel I could find in the area I needed to be in (River North) was the Best Western Plus. Although I have nothing against Best Westerns, I usually stay at what are considered full-service hotels and I think of Best Westerns as roadside inns for families.

I was so pleasantly surprised with this property! There is a good Italian restaurant and bar just off the lobby that has killer Chicago style, deep dish pizza. There is a small but serviceable fitness room on the roof with an indoor pool. Although I didn't use it, the hotel offers free WiFi and FREE PARKING (unheard of in downtown Chicago.) My room was pleasant, rather large, and well equipped with extra pillows, blankets, coffee maker, hair dryer, etc.

If you are looking for exceptional value in Chicago, you need to look no further than the Best Western Plus River North Chicago Downtown!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business