“Excellent!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #60 of 185 Hotels in Chicago
Hemlock, Michigan
“Excellent!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

We had an excellent stay at MileNorth! There were 9 in our party (myself, 6 children, and my aging parents) and we arrived prior to check-in. The manager (Tamika) gave us 5 star service. She was so kind and accommodating. The rooms were very nice and the prices were fair. I had the opportunity to enjoy a cocktail on the (newly opened) rooftop bar. The drinks and the staff were top notch! Located next to Gino's East, this is win win!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Nicole R, Manager at MileNorth, A Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Hello Julie W,

Thank you for sharing your favorite features and amenities of your recent stay at MileNorth Hotel on Trip Advisor. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit and received an excellent experience. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Chicago!

Steven Ellingsen | General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

We spent 6 nights in this hotel and found it totally excellent. The rooms are very well decorated, really comfortable and spotless clean. Each day the room is cleaned to a very high standard. The location could not be better. All the main attractions are all within walking distance. The area is nice and quiet and had a really safe feeling even when walking about at night.
The only negative I have is on our arrival the room safe was broken and the maintenance man came immediately to look at it. He said it would be repaired as soon as possible. I asked 3 times when it would be fixed but got no straight answer at which time I gave up. After our 6 night stay it still wasn't fixed and nobody decided to tell us if would not be fixed during our stay. On check out I told the desk staff of our disappointment on which they deducted $29 from our bill. This was a service charge that I had not expected to pay anyway and when I asked it was for I was told it was for wifi. On my booking it stated wifi was free.
Overall this is an excellent hotel and we would defiantly stay here again.

Stayed August 2014
Hello JandDatOCD,

Thank you for your input on your recent experience with us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our location and room accommodations. On a separate note, I sincerely apologize that your maintenance experience was less than stellar. Your feedback is very important to us and we are addressing your concerns. I welcome the opportunity to speak further about your personal experience. Please let me know if you would like to continue this conversation offline by contacting me directly at the below.

Turin, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I have been in this hotel in July 2014. The Hotel is not very big but the hall and the reception are quite confortable and nice. The personnel is very polite and the procedures for check in very fast. The room was excellent: large, clean and with good air conditioning. The bed was very confortable and the toilette had a large shower. Free wifi both in the room and in the hall. The gym was not a big one, but equipped enough for a good workout. I didn't have the occasion to try the restaurant and the roof bar. Avoid the bar in the reception: very expensive. The position of the hotel is spectacular: 5 minutes walking from the magnificent mile and the water tower. In addition it is absolutely close to Northwestern University and several Hospitals of the same University. The ratio between quality and price considering services and position in dowtown Chicago is excellent.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank RobyRamone
Hello RobyRamone,

Lawrenceville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I LOVE the Mile North Hotel! The rooms are tastefully decorated and spacious. The hotel staff are all very friendly and helpful. There is a Starbucks in the lobby and Gino's East pizza right next door. It is convenient to shopping and major transportation. Wish all hotels could be like this one...I highly recommend it!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Location
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Daisy C
Nicole R, General Manager at MileNorth, A Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Hello Daisy,

Canyon Lake, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

The first room they put us in had a broken AC. It took 4 phone calls for them to come look at it. Maintenance "fixed" it for 20 minutes and it went out again. They would not move us so we sweated in bed on Night #1 in Chicago. The 2nd day we were moved to another room which also had AC problems. We sweated on Night #2 in Chicago. They "fixed" it on Day #3. Nights #3 &4 were fine. They insulted us by trying to "make-up" with drink coupons. We have kids and did not drink. They then tried to charge us an extra $20 Hotel Service Fee upon checkout which I did not pay. I asked to speak to the Manager on Duty, he was busy. I asked them to have him call me, which he did not do. He also did not return my e-mails. We will not be staying at MileNorth Chicago again.

Room Tip: Get a room with a working AC
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Brad C
Hello Brad C,

Thank you for your input on your recent experience with us. I sincerely apologize that your experience with our staff and lack of response was less than stellar. Your feedback is very important to us and we are addressing your concerns. I welcome the opportunity to speak further about your personal experience. Please let me know if you would like to continue this conversation offline by contacting me directly at the below.

NY/NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

I am in Chicago at least once a month for the past 8 years and love most of it's hotels. But I needed a place last minute, so I stayed here for one night. While the hotel is clean with large rooms, my experience with their staff was horrific.

As usual, I prepaid for my room and upon check-in left a card for incidentals. To my dismay, they charged my card for a large amount, which caused an overdraft. It took me 5 calls to get the charge reversed and they did not cover the $35 overdraft fee for my card.

I mean, it's only $35, but this is just outright petty and laziness.

It is my hope that this was an isolated incident, but they did nothing to rectify a simple request. So the damage is done.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
2 Thank KMKC08
Hello KMKC08,

Thank you for your input on your recent experience with us. I sincerely apologize that your experience with our staff was less than stellar. Your feedback is very important to us and we are addressing your concerns. I welcome the opportunity to speak further about your personal experience. Please let me know if you would like to continue this conversation offline by contacting me directly at the below.

Santa Cruz, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

The good: Gorgeous rooftop bar with tasty appetizers. The hotel has an amazing location, just off Michigan Ave. Great views from the 16th floor! Mostly friendly staff.

The bad: We got a great deal on Jetsetter and were excited to be so close to Michigan Ave however, we were put up in a room on the 3rd floor that was horrible. The room was spacious, but the outside fan from 2 stories down was so loud, that when I was in bed, not only could I not sleep, but I couldn't even carry on a conversation with my boyfriend. The fan sound was around 45 decibels from the bed, it was even louder then the TV!! I can not believe that anyone would want to stay in that room. To make it worse, there was a view of the alley where deliveries arrived and a huge open trash container.

We called the front desk to ask for another room and they said they were sold out for the night and offered us "earplugs". I know they were just trying to be accommodating, but the way it was presented to us was not kind or well worded.

In our other interactions with people behind the desk, everyone was very friendly but not very knowledgeable about the city. My boyfriend and I asked for a way to see more of the Chicago (besides touristy stuff) and I was surprised that I was told to download an app because no one behind the desk could answer my question?!? I am all for crowd-sourcing, but someone working behind the desk should know about more then just Michigan Ave. and the most popular tourist destinations.

We got a new room (on the 16th floor) the next day and even though it had a nice view and was much quieter, it felt like a downgraded room. It was much smaller and the bathroom was not as nice. In addition, 1 of the 2 phones was broken, the safe was broken, the refrigerator wasn't working, there was not any soap in the shower dispenser, and no tea is provided in the room. It just wasn't well maintained. However, anything was better then the fan sound, so we didn't say anything.

I am rarely upset about a hotel room and I have never been upset with a room and as a result been downgraded. Even though the manager called while we were out, she did not follow up and the staff didn't apologize or offer anything to make our stay better. I know we got a deal on the room, but it just didn't feel like good customer service. I don't think I would go back.

Room Tip: Avoid anything on the first 7 floors.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank djnekokittie
Hello djnekokittie,

Thank you for your input on your recent experience with us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the drinks, food and view at our new rooftop, 52EIGHTY Lounge. On a separate note, I sincerely apologize that your room and our staff experience was less than stellar. Your feedback is very important to us and we are addressing your concerns. I welcome the opportunity to speak further about your personal experience. Please let me know if you would like to continue this conversation offline by contacting me directly at the below.