“$60 daily deposit? Not refunded.”

Cambria Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #75 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“$60 daily deposit? Not refunded.”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Unfortunately an otherwise perfectly good hotel stay was soured for a friend and I last week. We enjoyed the facilities at the hotel, the bar, the food was great in the restaurant and the room was spacious to fit two double beds comfortably. Our room was cleaned to a great standard every day and the staff were helpful when called upon.

The negative review comes from the deposit system. We were informed upon arrival (something which in itself is unacceptable, all fees should be clearly outlined prior to booking), that my card would be charged $60 for each day we were there, and assured it'd be refunded within 3 to 7 days of check-out.
It is now 9 days since returning to the UK... no refund, no correspondence, no replies to THREE emails and surveys in which I clearly outlined my concerns. This is totally unacceptable. If a system like this cannot be managed effectively in all instances, whether you're US or UK based, it should not be employed in the first place.
The last thing I wanted to do was write a negative review of the hotel, because the trip itself was excellent and the hotel was exactly what we wanted. I'm now $300 out of pocket and with no word of an explanation as to if or when this money will ever be refunded.

It is not a situation I have ever found myself in, but I am looking to escalate the issue if I do not receive correspondence and my deposit immediately. If you are uncomfortable about leaving your card or paying for a deposit when you stay at a hotel then steer clear of this hotel, as they evidently cannot guarantee that your money will be effectively managed and refunded.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Joe B
AndiMiller, Manager at Cambria Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Hello,

I apologize for the inconvenience of this situation. I have alerted our accounting department of this and he asked that you please email him so he can help solve this problem. His email is abah@destinationhotels.com. Please don't hesitate to contact me should you have further issues with getting this matter resolved.

Warm Regards,

Andi Miller
MileNorth Hotel | 166 East Superior | Chicago, IL 60611
Office 312-787-0139 | Email: amiller2@destinationhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I get to Chicago several times a year and have always stayed in the Loop. On a recent trip, I decided to try something different and ended up at MileNorth. I'm glad I did -- MileNorth will be my choice for future visits.
The hotel is in a super location, just steps off of Michigan Avenue shopping. The lobby is welcoming, with comfortable seating and conversation areas. The registration desk is made from real suitcases and the attractive lobby bar/coffee shop is constructed from look like old library card catalog drawers. Staff are friendly, efficient and accomodating. Housekeeping is outstanding.
My room was on the sixth floor (there are seven). Seeing it for the first time was a jaw-dropping experience. The room was huge and very well furnished. At one end, the bed with nightstands, a dresser, a chair with reading lamp, and on-the-wall TV. Toward the middle, a nice-size desk with good lights, another chair and small sofa, coffee table and a second wall-mounted TV. At the far end, clothes closet, refrigerator and coffee maker, and large, immaculate bathroom with walk-in shower (no tub).
The hotel has a small, limited menu restaurant. (They plan to open a rooftop bar in spring 2014.) Buffet breakfast was tasty but pricey, as hotel breakfasts tend to be.
I was more than pleased with MileNorth. To top it off, the price as about two-thirds of what I was accustomed to paying to stay in the Loop.
In sum, MileNorth is a real find.

Room Tip: I didn't see any rooms but my own, but I assume they are all about the same size, namely big. Th...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank bill1766
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I surprised my mother for her birthday with a mini-getaway in downtown Chicago for the weekend. I booked the double bedroom at the Mile North. We live in Chicago and work right around the corner from the property. Here's how it went.

Check-in: We checked in about 3:45 pm. The front desk advised that I would be required to pay a $60 per day incidental fee. I said fine. She explained that I would receive it back on check-out in full or minus any purchases. It went smoothly without incidents. Our room was ready.

Room: Our room 709 was nice. We didn't have a great few but, that was okay. It was cold and snowy anyway. We took a few minutes to look around before starting our evening. We had a mini-fridge which was nice. I had bought a bottle of champagne in my suitcase. The room was very clean. No tub but a walk-in shower. The bathroom was huge! Nice and spacious. We had a desk with a chair. Instead of having a night on the bedside table the night light was on each bed's headboard. I liked that so each person has their own night light. I also liked the long pillow on the bed that contains the hotel name and symbol. The room was really nice and clean. Our room was cleaned on Saturday by the cleaning staff. The room smelled so good when we came back. Not like cleaning supplies but a mild floral, springy scent.

Bar: There's a bar in the lobby where you can also purchase bar food. This is where we met Manny, our friendly and fabulous bartender. We gave him our drink orders. He was very attentive and personable. He asked were we visitors or natives. I explained that we are natives and I was treating my mother for her birthday. He made her a special birthday drink. Don't remember what was in it besides tequila but it was very tasty. We met some other patrons and we had a nice time. During our bar visit we also met the night manager of the hotel, Danny. He didn't drink but, he did participate in some of the conversations. He was also nice and friendly. We stayed there until the bar closed at midnight. There's a rooftop lounge at this hotel but, it was closed for cleaning during our weekend stay. We also visited the bar on Saturday night. Manny already knew what we wanted to drink. He remembered from the previous night. Danny also came over again. We also made sure to say goodbye to him since we would be checking out in the morning.

Food: There's a restaurant in the lobby that serves breakfast and lunch but we didn't eat there. We did order food from an outside restaurant. They don't have room service but, that's not a deal breaker for me. I knew that when I made the reservations. I liked that the front desk called the room to make sure that we had ordered food prior to letting up the delivery guy. That made me feel safe. Believe or not, all hotels don't do that.

Check-out: Check out was at noon. Here you don't do your normal check out where everyone surrounds the desk. They slip your final bill under the door overnight. I like that. No need to go to the desk unless there's a problem with the bill. It also makes checking out a breeze.

All in all we really enjoyed our stay. The staff was professional and friendly all the time. When you leave and need transportation the doorman hails you a taxi. Ginos East pizza place is right next door. The hotel is convenient to all Chicago Magnificent Mile has to offer. Within walking distance to shopping, restaurants, movie theatres, and even a hospital. We really enjoyed ourselves and would recommend Mile North to anyone looking for a reasonably price, conveniently located, clean, and friendly hotel. Mile North will not disappoint you and we will definitely be returning in the near future.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sasassie
Moline, Illinois
Reviewed March 14, 2014

The parking itself is more than half of the hotel cost per day. With this amount of money, I could have booked other hotels that actually has on-site free parking. Everything else in the room is average. Nothing like 4-star hotel to me. I don't know how it became rated as a 4-star. I have been travelling frequently and this one is more or less just a 3-star or 2.5. There is no room service. You need to change from PJ to your normal clothes and come downstairs to get food and bring it upstairs....well, thinking of the costly parking, might as well do it yourself to avoid being slapped with a super costly gratitude fee, like 30 some percent.

Room Tip: If you can't find any other hotels around in the area for the purpose you need, stay in this hot...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Stayed at Mile North hotel for a 3-night family trip to Chicago to see the sights & museums.
Family of Four (2 adults, 2 kids ages 11 & 16)
Double Room (1 room, 2 double beds) -very comfortable
Free Wi-Fi
Workout Room here

What we liked:
- LOCATION: on Superior St is great; short walk to Michigan ave close to many restaurants and water tower area (which is 2 blks north); close to a hospital too.
- SAFE: safe, fun area to walk around; (and of course always use common sense when traveling by foot.)
- Walking with the kids to Millenium Park & Navy Pier area was fun & relatively easy
- Starbucks & Convenience Food on ground level was a helpful & easy way to get a quick coffee and simple breakfast
- right next door to GINO's EAST pizza, also tried ROSEBUD, JAKE restaurants
- we liked the fact that this was not a mega-hotel; nice sized hotel with friendly & helpful staff

We chose not to drive, instead did a mix of public transport (From O'Hare) & taxi rides helpful.
- Took a taxi to/from Museum of Science of Industry
- Walked to Water Tower to see/watch a play at Looking Glass Theater; Great Show. Found ticket/show/calendar info online.
- Took taxi to/from United Center for basketball game
- Walked to Art Institute; spent whole day there...wonderful museum with a great collection of impressionist artists.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank la_vida_es_bela
Lillehammer, Norway
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Rooms: Started out in room 2806 (queen suite), it had a lot of noise from the elevator room upstairs and the bed had a big dent in the middle. We complained and the staff got us a new room (2606). Room looked the same, but without the noise and with a good bed. Rooms are big and cheap compared to many other big city hotels, comfortable bed and rooms look fresh. Bathrooms need an upgrade soon, but have all you need for your stay. Hotel has free WiFi.
Staff: Front desk staff was helpful but not all that friendly. The guy in the hotel store/restaurant was extremely friendly and helpful and gave us a good welcome when we arrived. Bar staff was not very service minded and did not seem very interested in serving customers.
Location: Right next to the Magnificent Mile and all the shopping you need and Gino's Pizza next door. 3 block walk to the Metro station and bus stop is only half a block. Great location for for your stay in Chicago.
Breakfast: Breakfast in the hotel restaurant is $15.99. The selection isn't great, but you get your scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, toast and potatoes. They also have pastries, muffins, bagels and fruit.
Conclusion: Great hotel with spacious rooms at a reasonable price. Would definently stay here again.

Room Tip: If you get room 2806, ask for another room. This room is noisy and needs a new bed.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FN_Madball
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed March 12, 2014

We have stayed at the MileNorth on previous visits to Chicago. It is a very nice hotel. This time was even better. From the upgrade and remodel of the lobby to the improvements to the rooms. The best part was the staff this time. They really made an impression. They provided first class service from the bell man, to the front desk and the coffee and bar areas. The ladies at the front desk remembered our names and always acknowledged us when we were coming or going. This hotel has everything you need on site. The restaurant and snack shop are nice improvements. We are already booked for three more stays this year at MileNorth. There are many hotels to choose from in Chicago, but my husband and I will probably not stay anywhere but Milenorth from now on.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple