“Fantastic”

Ranked #75 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
st helens
“Fantastic”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night as part of a trip across America. I loved everything about Chicago including this hotel. I had e-mailed them before departure to ask for a high floor with a view as we were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary during this trip. Not only did we get this but they had upgraded us to a suite. Very clean spacious room we had a great view too. Bar area was very nice. Great location for everything. I will definitely return to this hotel as 2 days in Chicago is no where near enough time to expore this fantastic city. Also I would like to say a special thank you for the surprise left in our room to help us celebrate.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Stayed here for just a couple of nights to explore the city. Location is great. When I was there, the hotel was still under renovation - the lobby was closed-off and there was just (what felt like) a provisionary reception. At first I got a room on one of the lower floors looking into sort of a courtyard (north facing) - I wasn't happy at all. The hotel was not fully booked and staff should have offered me a room on one of the higher floors with better views - in particular because I got one of the better room categories. After I complained they did offer to change my room after the first night... (this time around south facing). The room itself was very spacious with a dedicated working and living area and a sleeping area which was sectioned off. I'd like to think that the room was not yet renovated and/or refurbished. It lacked character and the arrangement of the furniture did not make sense. Also, one of the blinds fell off. The bathroom was decent but nothing special.

There is a small bar on the top floor - when I went it was pretty much empty and it had no feeling to it (again, assuming this was due to the ongoing renovation works). I did not have any meals at the hotel so won't comment on the restaurants.

Staff was friendly but did not go the extra mile, with the exception of the lift boy who tried his best to lift everyones mood despite the ongoing renovation works.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stayed at the MileNorth Hotel in the North Michigan Ave. area of Chicago's downtown this past September. I typically stay somewhere around that area on my biz and leisure trips to Chicago. I last stayed at this property a few years ago when it was the Affinia Chicago. So it's been awhile since I left my 'usual' haunts to stay here.

And I'm delighted that I did. I found this to be an eminently comfortable stay. I have a lot to do when I get to Chicago. Logistics are important to me. I ship multiple cases of goods ahead of myself, I come in and out- needing my car from the valet. I work long days, and look for a comfortable place to end the day.

I was greeted curbside by a very charming valet supervisor. She set the tone, and the rest of the stay followed. She and the team there seemed as invested in a smile and service as the hotel employees. Typically the valet is not a hotel employee around the downtown area. They might be here, but they should definitely get notice for their service. It makes a difference.

And service made the difference in this stay. From the front desk at check-in, to managing my incoming containers, to saying hi to me by name, to always asking if they can help me...I found this to be a very well run hotel. And...believe me- I stay at hotels all year round. This was refreshingly well-run. The staff is excellent, and they get that they are in the hospitality business. At some hotels you wonder. Actually, at some hotels you don't wonder, you just don't go back.

Here's what I'd say: If you're going to Chicago with an eye to staying in a great location around North Michigan Avenue, and want a very nice room, well appointed, very comfortable at a rate that meets what you get, this would be my recommendation. I will stay there going forward, no questions. I've found my Chicago home.

I don't ask for much: service with smile, comfortable rooms, CLEAN rooms (yes- it was immaculate), great location, fair rate. MileNorth has all of this. Plus good coffee downstairs.

Last comment: this is more of a contemporary feel hotel. If you're looking for more traditional furnishings, atmosphere, this might not be your place. But if you just like a good hotel- any style: try this place.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Spent 6 days at the MileNorth the location was terrific. The room was large and set up perfect to work and relax in. The rooftop bar has great views. The whole staff was professional and friendly! We also loved the black out blinds...we slept like babies. The restaurant was also great to have an early morning breakfast meeting.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 30, 2013

There's so much to really like about this hotel, but each time I come back to stay I can't help but think, "man I miss the old Affinia Hotel Chicago days." Especially the pillow menu that Affinia used to offer.

The location of the MileNorth is straight up AWESOME. 1/2 a block from Michigan Ave on a fairly quiet street, right next to Gino's East, so close to many other sightseeing, shopping and eating opportunities.

The rooms are fairly spacious, but there is an inconsistency between the room experiences. Some have really nice bathrooms with sunken tubs, others make you feel like you're staying at a Holiday Inn, and could use some definite updates.

I will say that I LOVE the updates that have been made to the lobby area, the redesign definitely opens up the space more, and the addition of the bar and coffee area is great. The elevators are still pretty slow though.

While this is still a fairly good hotel, it has fallen on my list of favs in Chicago. Hopefully there are more updates to the MileNorth in the near future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Great location and very spacious suites although we didn't have any blinds or curtains in our room which made us feel a bit exposed! My brother and his wife had a suite on a higher floor which was magnificent with a sunken bath and walk in shower. As we were only staying there for 1 night we didn't get a chance to use the roof top patio bar which looked fabulous. Only downside was they couldn't get us out quick enough on day of departure.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lynn S
Hudson, Ohio
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Nice hotel with spacious suites. Wonderful location just steps from mag mile. However, this hotel lacks three critical items....
1. There is no mini bar in the room
2. There are no bathrobes in room
3. There is no room service....

So, if you want a soda, you need to walk to Walgreens. Better options nearby for the price and amenities.

Also, there are only 2 elevators servicing 28 floors. Very slow