“Great location; pity about the view”

Cambria Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #74 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Preston, United Kingdom
“Great location; pity about the view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Hotel number four on my Great Rail trip from LA to New York. I absolutely loved Chicago for its architecture, culture, transport system and its people. The hotel is located off the "Magnificent Mile", the trendy north side of the city with big name stores (and big prices) nearby. My room 609 was huge for just one person, and if it had a kitchen, it would be a smart city apartment. There was a king size bed, sofa, armchair, two TVs, fridge, safe, coffee machine etc. and a large bathroom with shower big enough to accommodate a close friend or two!! My only criticism of the room was that it looked across to a skyscraper which kept a lot of natural light out, and there was inadequate lighting to compensate. Nevertheless, it is a smart hotel and the food and service were very good. There is a bar on the top floor (number 29 I think) from which good views can be had.
The public transport system in Chicago, the CTA, is also very good. A 24-hour travel card costs just $10 from a nearby supermarket (Walgreens), and a trip on THE LOOP (The EL) is a must. I would definitely like to see more of Chicago; in fact I much preferred it to New York, my final stop on this epic journey.

Room Tip: Try to get a room as high as possible for better views.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

There are very few people at the reception desk. They were not friendly. I had to wait very long to check in. Customer service did not meet expectations. Every time I called them, they put me on hold for as long as 15 mins and they did not even solve my query. I did not enjoy my stay there.

• Stayed September 2013
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

The hotel is in a good location for shopping, restaurants, Lake Michigan etc. The room and bathroom was large, clean and nicely decorated. Unfortunately the views were not that great for a city view room (I was on floor 12) but there was no noise from the city (apart from the evening storm!).
The staff were very helpful and polite and I couldn't have asked for more. Gino's pizza, two doors away, has the most amazing pizza I have ever tasted so I recommend trying that - go for deep pan! I would definitely stay here again and I would recommend to others.

Room Tip: Try a high floor room for city views
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

MileNorth is a reasonably priced hotel on the Magnificent Mile. As far as I can tell, they neither had room service nor a lot of information about the hotel services in the room. (In a way that is good, since it gets you out of the room.) And the room I stayed in did not have wonderful views of Chicago. The hotel does not have a large amount of meeting space, if that is the purpose of your trip. But otherwise, the hotel is well located and quite serviceable.

Room Tip: Don't get a room next to the gym.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

This was my first trip to Chicago for girls weekend in August.
Room: our room was on the 17th floor (I think it was 1702 maybe, don't quite remember now) and looked pretty true to form in photos: 2 Doubles , city view - and that's exactly what we got.

Our expectation: clean, comfortable, good location, good space, and bonus: good energy, or aesthetic in terms of interior decor, or hotel restaurants/amenities - for a reasonable price.
I feel like this hotel provided all of those. Yes, there was perhaps a knick on the bathroom wall, or maybe not a brand new console on the desk - but honestly, who cares? What I care is that the room is clean, and comfortable. Yes, it could be loud when other neighbours' doors slam - but after the first day, when exhaustion settles in - its the least concern. Just take earplugs if you are a light sleeper.

Another suggestion to the hotel: add better lighting where you have secondary mirrors (other than in the bathroom) so everyone can get ready when the bathroom is being used (this, I find when on girls trips comes in handy). No other suggestions or complaints.

Location: Not knowing Chicago well - I thought this location was perfect for our needs. We booked dinner reservations each night in the Hubbard/State area and had no problem walking every day/night - and this included one pregnant lady (@ 28 weeks). Shopping was close, as well as restaurants, and also a nice walk northwest towards the Gold Coast area (for even more shopping!) John Hancock building and Water Tower Place (more shopping) as well as almost any of the marquee US department stores all close by (Saks, Bloomies, Neimens oh my!)

Service: No complaints. Bell service was helpful; as we as being greeted each day/night by the valet outside and the front desk (if they weren't swarmed with new guests checking in). Valet was efficient and helpful when we did need a taxi.

Amenities: Used the gym - not huge, but cardio equipment and weights were new. A few other machines -and a full set of free weights. Perfect for my needs and better than some gyms I've been to.
Lounge downstairs was comfortable and also convenient having the Ferris & Jack cafe for morning coffee or pastries on the run. We did not make it up to the rooftop restaurant tho - just ran out of time (!!!! - I know!!! - that's one regret )

Overall - I would stay here again. if my needs stay in the same area and I'm not expecting or paying for a 5+ star experience a la Four Seasons, or Trump - then this is where I'll be. Definitely above average experience for what we paid and what we expected. Other options we considered in our price range (Red Roof Inn, Wyndham Blake) - we were happy with our decision after walking past both alternatives (location and outside appearance of hotel).

Restaurants we booked:
Topolobampo (our favorite pick)
Signature Room at John Hancock building
RPM Italian
Potbellys
Hub51
Gino's East (literally next door to hotel)
Lao 18
Le Colonial
Garrett Popcorn (this is delicious and slightly addictive)
Ferris and Jack

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
annabanana1
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is my first stay at Mile North. I am in Chicago for some appointments at Northwestern Memorial Hospital and elected to stay here because it is so close to the hospital.

I will start with the good; the service has been pretty good. The front desk staff is very friendly and always greets me when I return to the hotel after being out and about. The housekeeping staff has been nice and does a good job cleaning my room, although I am not a sloppy guest by any means. And best part of this hotel is the the location! It is so convenient to Northwestern, restaurants, Starbucks, Walgreens, Michigan Ave, and the lake. The location is awesome.

Now for the not so good...I couldn't believe that my room had been newly remodeled! It is so shabby! Paint is chipping, wallpaper is damaged, carpet is worn and torn, the bathroom tile is nasty, the vanity I only 28" high (meaning you strain your back using the sink), the faucet was broken, the sink was clogged, lamps were broken, a kid wrote all over the leather catch all on the desk, and the lighting is terrible! I stayed in room 1503 and I got a special hospital rate so I don't know if this is the crappy room for cheap rates or if all the rooms are like this! The room is so awkward and uncomfortable though. The only overhead light is right by the main door and it is so poor that I can barely see a thing over by the bed, even with all lamps turned on! I've already listed the many issues with the appearance of this room. It was pretty disappointing for a newly remodeled hotel.

Even though the location was great and the service was good, I will not stay here ever again because the room was just so uncomfortable and shabby.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank annabanana1
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stayed 4 nights at the MileNorth hotel the staff are very friendly and helpful. Location is superb just off Michigan Avenue. I had breakfast in the Corner Bakery, Tempo and Yolk al superb. Dinner at Hugh's frog bar on Rush Street, Cheesecake Factory on Michigan and Joes seafood. Would recommend the architectural boat tour and the Gold Coast food tour.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends