“Great Hotel”

Ranked #75 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Indiana
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I spent the weekend of February 22, 2013 in Chicago. I stayed at the MileNorth Hotel. Great location! The bellmen were wonderful and the room was awesome! When I walked into the room, it smelled clean and IT WAS CLEAN! The only complaint that I had was the young lady who checked me in. She must have been having a bad day. She never greeted me and she continued talking with a co-worker the entire time she was checking me in - giving me hardly any attention at all. However, Andre, the young man who checked me out the day I left, was absolutely fantastic! He has the perfect personality to be in the customer service industry. Overall, my experience was a good one and despite the young lady's bad attitude, I will be staying at the MileNorth Hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed at Mile North last year with a friend. We loved our room. The frig in the room didn't work. Everything in there was warm. The coffee maker didn't work. You have to call and request ice, no ice machine anywhere. Which is ok, if you want to pay for every bucket of ice you get, (tip), and wait a long time (2 hours) to get it. Room service was not good. Breakfast order placed came incorrectly and cold. Telephone and lamp on nightstand were broken. Do not think any of the service staff spoke english. We left a note for housekeeping to leave some extra towels and nothing happened. We helped ourselves from the maid cart. We requested a wake up call and never got it.
The restaurant in the hotel is pricey and not all that. I would hesitate to stay here again. I wrote the manager a letter after my visit and never did get a response if that tells you anything. What a HUGE dissapointment this was :(

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Okemos, Michigan
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This hotel is on Superior, half a block East of Michigan Ave. so the location is great for shopping, restaurants and theater in the Magnificent Mile area. The hotel does have thin walls though and the lobby is under construction, so great for a few day stay, not sure I would like a longer visit.
Do have a great breakfast buffet that was reasonably priced and the staff though is extremely friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Positive:

1. Good location (close to CTA, restaurants, 24/7 Walgreens, parking garages, Gino's East pizza...etc.).

2. Modern decor hotel with a green initiative.

3. Comfortable bed and free wifi.

Negative:

1. The rooms need to be updated (paint chipping, cracked toilet seat cover...etc.).

2. The cleanliness of the room are quite horrifying. The last time I stayed here, there was a giant spider near my pillow. This time, there was so much dust everyone that our allergies started to react. There were also brown spots on almost all my hand towels (in addition, all the towels are incredibly scratchy - feels like old, used towels).

3. Front desk staff needs to be more engaging instead of chatting with each other when there is a guest there. They were friendly enough when you talked to them, but not enough to start a conversation with you first.

4. I'm surprised on the day of check-out, I woke up to our billed slipped under our door. I've never had this experience at a higher-end hotel and this practice seems more familiar at a Days Inn. Not sure I understand the point of looking at your bill when you still have to go over any charges during check-out. Seems like a redundancy. Also, we were running behind so we asked for a late check-out (1pm) with no problem from the front desk. At 12:30pm, the maid was knocking at our door to come in (even though the privacy sign was outside our door). Hotel needs to come up with a better system to communicate which guest asked for late check-out to their cleaning crew. It felt like we were rushed out of the hotel between the maid and our bill.

We were in the small queen room this time which was sufficient enough since we did not spend a lot of time in the room. Just wished we had more closet space (the safe kept getting in the way of us hanging our coats.) Last time we stayed, we had the pleasure of being upgraded to the top floor next to the rooftop lounge. It was incredibly quiet in our room even with the nightlife right outside our doors. Also, the room was very spacious like a studio apartment. Although, both times, I had serious issues with the cleanliness of the hotels. I mentioned the brown spots on our towels this time, but last time, I found a large spider next to my pillow. Turns out, if you look outside the window, the building seem to covered in cobwebs (on the outside). Still, not a sight you want to see when you take in the view. This would also explain the spider in my room.

We paid around $120 both times, but I would not stay here again if there is a better option nearby.

Room Tip: Splurge on the larger room if possible and ask for a higher floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Heidi E, Director of Sales at Cambria Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear MockingLaneHotel:

Thank you for taking time to post your review. If you would kindly contact me or forward me a number where I can reach you I'd like to get more information on the room you stayed in. Did you report the issues to the front desk and/or to housekeeping? If I can get your room number then I am happy to check on the items you mentioned as we very rarely have any complaints about cleanliness here and that is always a priority if there is a complaint so I would like to be sure to address this with the appropriate departments.

Kind regards,
Heidi
Massachusetts
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed with a friend who was there on business so I didn't have to pay for it. I would not have paid the prices I have seen that they charge. It was a nice enough room and the shower was nice but not worth the money especially during the construction. My friend and I were out late on Sunday night and were awakened very early by banging which sounded like they were banging on our door. Also, you could hear the traffic on the street such as sirens etc. The location was great and the staff was fantastic. I wouldn't stay there while the construction is going on. If you can pay the price, it is nice enough for the location but nothing special.

USA
Reviewed March 4, 2013

A very pleasant and comfortable boutique hotel, right off the "Magnificent Mile." It's undergoing some renovation right now, so the lobby and restaurant areas weren't fully open -- but even so it was quite nice. The room was comfortable and fairly large, with good beds and a great large bathroom (excellent shower). Internet was free -- that may have been a perk because of the construction, but was much appreciated. I liked the rooftop bar, which was small but very pleasant; the service up there could have been better, but still it was a good experience.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is the former Affinia Chicago and it is in the process of being remodeled. A lot of construction going on in the lobby area. Hopefully, they will also be replacing some of the worn carpeting and faded wallpaper in the hallways. The restaurant is currently closed but they do serve a breakfast on the second floor. We approached said breakfast with skepticism but were rewarded by fresh scrambled eggs, breakfast meats, excellent selection of quality breads to toast and a lovely fruit platter that included 3 different types of berries (also everything for a continental breakfast there too). All this and coffee/juice too for only $13. Well prepared and surprisingly tasty. Now some more positives - the most accomodating and friendly desk staff I have met in a long time and the room was quiet, clean and pleasant. Really, it's pretty easy to ignore the remodel. Hope it is finished soon and I can see what they are up to!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor since the street is a bit noisy.
1 Thank MilwaukeeMarauder
HeidiEdinger, Director of Sales at Cambria Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear MilwaukeeMarauder,

Thank you for taking time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed the breakfast in our temporary restaurant. The opening of our new lobby and restaurant will be here soon and we hope you will come back again to check it out! Thank you for your business and hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards,