“Great room and location, but terrible wi-fi”

Cambria Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #76 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Sao Paulo, SP
“Great room and location, but terrible wi-fi”
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I had stayed in the Affinia Manhattan in mid 2009 and really liked it, so when I went to Chicago for the first time last month I booked the Affinia Chicago.

The room is excellent, spacious, clean, great bed, plenty of room for luggage. The bathroom is also very good.

The staff, though certainly efficient, was a bit cold, with a couple of exceptions. I found the people in Chicago to be very friendly and good humoured, so the staff's attitude stood out a bit.

Location is excellent, right across the Mag Mile. Gino's East is next door and there's a nice place for breakfast called Corner Bakery nearby.

There's only one issue, and a major one, that I feel Affinia has to change: its wi-fi. Before we got to Chicago, we traveled the West Coast and stayed in quite a few hotels, most of them nowhere near the quality of Affinia, and they all offered wi-fi in the rate. All of them, including the ones that were basically motels. At the Affinia Chicago, you have to pay an extra US$ 9.99 per day per device, meaning you have to pay double if you and your wife want to access the internet on each others smartphones/laptops. On top of that, the wi-fi connection is an AT&T service, so you have to input your credit card information in an website instead of the hotel including this in their bill. So it's not only expensive, but inconvenient.

This is 2011, Affinia. Wi-fi is now a basic hotel service. Time to move on with the times.

The hotel itself is great, and if wi-fi is not an issue with you I would definitely recommend the Affinia. As for myself, next time I'm in Chicago I'll consider the Affinia, but I'll also look for other options.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
AffiniaChicago, General Manager at Cambria Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
Dear facls, I appreciate you taking the time to share. Because of honest feedback like yours, we're able to constantly evaluate procedures and improve in the marketplace. While we are continuing to review amenities and services your feedback will come into play. Thanks for complimenting our generously oversized guestrooms, location and comfy custom Affinia bed. I hope to welcome you back, Stephen Blackford, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed November 6, 2011

We were able to get this room for half price through Expedia. I still paid as much as the Microtel we stayed at two nights previous. I was excited to be staying so close to the Magnificant Mile and all that is Chicago. My first disappointment was the parking. The hotel charges $49 a day for parking. We were able to get it directly across the street for $40. Once at the room, I was impressed with the layout. However, upon further examination I realized that there was no microwave and I had to unload the alcohol from the fridge so I could put in a couple cans of pop. There was no fan in the bathroom, water spots and cracks on the ceiling, and the bathtub tile needed re-grouted. When I bathed I found a yellow spot on my towel. The coffee maker makes coffee, but has no way to keep it warm and as I mentioned before, there's no microwave. The continental breakfast for two is $24 more AND Internet is an additional $10. The final problem I found with the room was when I found the heating/air conditioning unit the filter was completely clogged. Luckily I'm not sensitive to dust. I found this hotel completely unacceptable. My husband says that this is common in large cities. I'm sorry, but I expect MORE from an establishment on the Magnificent Mile, not less.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Kshelton64
Dear Kshelton64, I'm disappointed to hear your review but glad that you were able to book taking advantage of the special we ran and enjoyed our ideal location. Thanks for complimenting our room layout too. I hope we can speak offline regarding your situation and wonder if you remember the room # - it's not our norm as we are always receiving extremely high satisfaction scores for room cleanliness, sorry you felt that wasnt delivered. Stephen Blackford, General Manager
Mevasseret Tzion
Reviewed November 2, 2011

This was the second time we stayed at the Affinia and, again, we were delighted with the service and the accomodations. We were upgraded upon arrival by the reception staff so that our two rooms could be next to each other - of course, no extra charge. Everyone was pleasant and helpful, from the bellmen and valets to the room and reception staff. Hotel location is excellent - right in the middle of everything and close to great breakfast cafes and restaurants. We travelled with a one year old and have nothing but good things to say about the Affinia. We will certainly stay here again on our next trip.

Room Tip: Don't think there is much of a view from any of the rooms. Rooms are well-apointed and comforta...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Lovely suite - very spacious. There was a seating area and a bedroom. The TV swings round between the two (very clever). The bathroom makes clever use of a small space and was very dramatic (red walls - a great antidote to the usual bland white hotel bathrooms). The restaurant was good as was the roof top bar. Very central location - good base for exploring the city. Staff were very friendly and helpful. In fact, it was some of the best customer service I've ever had in a hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Marathon, Florida
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Considering the rate I got for this hotel I didn't have high expectations. I was surprised at just how nice it was. The hotel is clean, the rooms are spacious and current in design. The bathrooms are well lighted and included a make up mirror. The staff was exceptional. It wasn't just one or two special staff members...it was all of them. The location is great for shopping and or walking/running. Go for it!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank 2soujourn
AffiniaChicago, General Manager at Cambria Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, October 31, 2011
Dear 2soujourn, Thanks for taking the time to share about your appreciation for our value. I'm glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations & be sure to pass along your gratitude to our associates. I hope you were able to take advantage of our great location and enjoy all this wonderful city has to offer! I look forward to welcoming you back, Steve Blackford
Indiana
Reviewed October 26, 2011

I travel to Chicago every fall break with my daughter, sister in law and neices. We absolutely love the Affinia. We had a suite which was perfect for us. The girls had their own t.v. and us adults had ours. The beds are wonderful and so comfortable. Very clean, great staff, great location(right off of Mag. Mile).

Room Tip: Giodanos's Pizza is a must!!!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed October 25, 2011

My husband and I visited Chicago for the first time and found a great deal to stay at the Affinia Chicago. The room we stayed in was newly remodeled and always cleaned in the most impecable way. After a long day of traveling, the check-in clerk offered us a pass to Geno's next door and we were able to walk in past the line. (a + for sure!) We had a great view of some nearby buildings. We visited the rooftop lounge and had some delicious drinks.
Since we mostly spent time touring the city, we definitely didnt spend much time in the room. The staff were courteous, friendly and very helpful when we needed assistance. The hotel is located near the Water Tower so there was great shopping nearby. Chicago is a beautiful city with lots of history-cant wait to visit again. The ONLY drawback was that parking was ridiculously expensive...thankfully, we didnt need a car for our whole stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ldr74
Dear ldr74, Thanks for sharing about your experience at Affinia Chicago. It's nice to hear we helped make your first trip to Chicago a comfortable & memorable experience...and hope there are many more to come! I'm glad you were able to visit C-View - aren't those views of the city incredible? I'll be sure to pass along your cleanliness compliments to our housekeeping team. Thanks again, Steve Blackford