“Excellent start to our honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of MileNorth, A Chicago Hotel

MileNorth, A Chicago Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   166 East Superior Street, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Affinia Chicago) (Streeterville)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$1.00 Parking Package
Ranked #60 of 185 Hotels in Chicago
Dorset
“Excellent start to our honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

This was to be the start of our honeymoon and so I took care of which hotel was going to be the beginning of our Route 66 adventure. I booked this hotel on the strength of the TA reviews and I was not disappointed at all. We were greeted very warmly by the check in supervisor and were checked into our room with ease.

The room it self was very spacious, the bed was lovely and big, comfortable and with a choice of pillows my new husband was in love!! The bathroom was not huge but the shower was wonderful, the best thing for us after a long flight.

The view was incredible and we could not wait to get out and enjoy the city. We went to the John Hancock tower for the views which is within 10 minutes stroll. The whole city is accessible easily from here and it is mostly flat so it is easy to do.

All staff members we saw / spoke to were very nice and seemed happy with their work. We didn’t spend any time in the bar downstairs and so I cannot comment on that but if it was the same standard as the rest of the hotel you won’t be disappointed.

I would highly recommend Chicago as a city and the Affinia as a great place to spend your nights while you are there.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
AffiniaChicago, General Manager at MileNorth, A Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2011
Dear KezzinDorset, First and foremost, congratulations on your wedding! Of all the great downtown hotels, we're honored you chose Affinia Chicago for your honeymoon. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our pillow menu - wonder which of the 6 options was your favorite! Thanks for the location & associate compliments. Best wishes & thanks for sharing your photos too, they're great! I hope to welcome you back for your 1st Anniversary. Claudia Eggspuhler, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Thunder Bay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

This hotel is in a great location for walking. We were able to walk to the Navy Pier, the tourist information centre, pick up location for city tours, theatres, & museums. It was one block from Michigan Ave with all the shopping anyone could want & lots of restaurants in this area as well. The conceirge (Peter) was wonderful & got things arranged & booked for us, his card was very helpful in getting priority in the line ups!! The conceirge must only work Fri-Sun as when we arrived on Thursday the front staff provided us with assistance, but they were all willing, knowledgeable & very helpful. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant.
Rooms were clean & comfortable. We had one queen size bed but the rooms was a suite so there was lots of room. The only issue we had was from the street noise. There is a hospital close by so lots of sirens. Windows don't seem to be too sound proof.
Overall we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Chesterfield, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

My hubby booked this hotel for my girlfriend and I for a "girls shopping weekend" for my 40th birthday.Apparently, he booked it through Priceline, and we were reserved a room with only one bed. I found this out when I called The Affinia to confirm my reservation.I was told that a request for 2 beds would be put in, but all of the Priceline rooms with 2 double beds in them were already booked.Plus, she told me it would be an extra $25 per nite to get a room with 2 beds. When we arrived at 8am ( check in was 3pm), I was told that not only were we able to check in early, they"upgraded" my girlfriend and myself to a room with 2 beds for no additional charge!
The room was fabulous! Very modern. The beds were sooo comfortable with tons of pillows( they actually were better than my own bed at home!!). The bathroom had this cool red foil wallpaper, tons of plush towels ( this was the 1st hotel where not only did I have to call for extra towels- there were actually towels we didn't use because there were so many of them!).
Our thermostat wasn't working, so we called to have maintenance come up. He arrived in less than 5 min after I called the front desk. Very nice guy- asked us if we needed anything, did we need help with directions.
The front desk was very friendly ( I read the reviews that said the front desk was rude but we didn't experience that at all).
If you eat next door at Geno's pizza, allow for 45 min for the pizza to be made, and a long line. But, if you stop by the desk at the hotel and tell them you're going next door to Geno's to eat, they give you a card that lets you" jump to the front of the line", plus you get free breadsticks.Not a bad deal!
The Affinia is in a superb location. Not even a block from the " Magnificent Mile"- nice to be able to stop back during the day to drop off shopping bags!
If I was to go to Chicago again, I'd definitely stay at The Affinia.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
AffiniaChicago, General Manager at MileNorth, A Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Dear Meredith, Thanks for taking the time to share about your experience. I'm glad to hear you had a great 40th birthday and a comfy stay with your girlfriends. I'll be sure to pass along your kind remarks to the team (specifically front desk & engineering). It sounds like you were able to enjoy The Magnificent Mile and I look forward to welcoming you back, Claudia Eggspuhler, General Manager
United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

The hotel really has two things going for it, the size of its suites and its location.

The location was great right off Michigan Ave and next to a Ginos Pizza. You can really walk from anywhere you need to go and Walgreens is right around the corner.

The JR Suite on a high floor had a nice view and was very large. The room had really nice amenities and everything was what would be expected for a 4 star hotel. I paid around 225 a night for a JR suite which was a good deal. The bathrooms are very small for a 700 sq foot suite, I mean they are arm length width and depth.

The service was extremely hit or miss. When I first checked in the bellhop was so nice, maybe he was too nice because the check in woman seemed cold and detached. The bellhops really are 5* employees, should probably fire a few counter supervisors and replace them with a bellhop. Also, the housekeeping was super friendly, just good friendly and nice people.

The requests I made on myaffinia were met and was a really really nice touch. The staff even brought me shaving cream and razors which was really appreciated. The c-view lounge was awesome and the staff and feeling of the place was really fun.

The front counter staff seemed to me to be overworked and friendly about 40% of the time, the rest of the time there was no smile or hello. It could be they were short staffed or something and the Marathon swamped them.

I went to the counter the day before I checked out and said " I am checking out tomorrow...." the girl finished my sentence for me with " no late check outs we can hold your bag" Well that is awesome but I was wondering about getting a taxi to the airport. This experience cemented the front counter experience as well below average.

I would recommend the hotel only if you got a sub 200 price or a 225 range for the junior suite. Don't get me wrong its a real nice hotel, however with as many hotels as Chicago has its just a price game.

Room Tip: High floor junior suite and watch the prices! I booked through affinia.com and prices for a jr suite...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Helsinki
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

Studied a week in Chicago with a friend a stayed in Affinia. First visit to Chicago and it´was fantastic.
I don´t find the words to describe the friendliness of the staff in hotel. I had my "homework" not done, and a receptionist Rossio and bellboy Victor helped me a lot to finish my assignment. Wonderful persons - both of them and also every single person from staff with whom we had chance to chat with.
I stayed in Single room called Studio and it was huge to the standards I´ve experienced in USA. So go for it, if you need space to your ego. Maybe Affinia Dumont, NY can beat them some day.:)
Location was excellent; we run every morning by the beach of Lake Michigan and Affinia was just few hundred meters from the beach,
Did some shopping as well and shops we needed (clothes, shoes, Apple etc.) were just 2-5 blocks away.
If you want to taste the famous Chicago deep-pan-pizza, the one and only Gino´s is 15 meters from the front door!
We studied at UniChicago Booth and it took 10 minutes to walk there. Amazing!
Alltogether this Affinia is just great hotel with great staff. It´s worth staying in Chicago.

Room Tip: Studio single is excellent choice.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

This was a nice hotel located in a great area of Chicago especially if you are new to the city. The main attraction is the price was less than $250 a night. Anything higher than that and you have better choices. It is really a hotel that should be under $225. The bed was comfortable and the room was a nice size. The bathroom was a good size. However, the hotel is beginning to look a worn in places and that includes the tables in the restaurant. I am very uptight about hotel room cleanliness. I would stay here again for the right price. The staff is helpful. It is close to Rush St and the trains.

• 3 of 5 stars
Villa Rica, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

Steve, Andre and Peter were some of the most helpful and kindest hotel staff I have encountered. This hotel has a great location, right next to some of the best dining experiences in the city. Cabs, convention center buses... are easily accessed. The staff mentioned will gladly give you some great local references for things to do and where to eat. They will even give you an express pass to the front of the line at World Famous Gino's East....right next door!
Very clean, very helpful....this was a GREAT first time Chicago visit. Hint: If need a ride to and from airport, take a taxi if you have more than one person...shuttles charge per person - but if you are solo take the Go Shuttle by baggage claim.

Room Tip: Visit the cool bar on the roof-top!
    • 5 of 5 stars
AffiniaChicago, General Manager at MileNorth, A Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Dear Stephen, Thanks so much for your compliments of Affinia Chicago. I'm pleased to hear that we met and even exceeded your expectations! I will be sure to share your gratitude with Steve, Andre & Peter. Great tip to visit C-View Rooftop Lounge & Outdoor Terrace-aren't the views of our city amazing up there? I hope you were able to try C-House Restaurant too; it's by celebrity Chef Marcus Samuelsson and focuses on seasonality in farm-to-table cuisine. You'll have to try it next time! Claudia Eggspuhler, General Manager