“Very good place to stay right in the middle of town.”

Four Seasons Hotel Chicago
Ranked #4 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
London
“Very good place to stay right in the middle of town.”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Great shopping all around and views over the lake. Very helpful concierge and doorman.
Very comfortable indeed. Good pool, good spa. Would go back. Like that they say "no additional tip expected " on room service - it's always a hassle to find change and a big delivery charge is included anyway. One problem though - they have a system where you are charged automatically for what has been taken from the mini bar and I discovered (belatedly) that they had doubled up on each item! No buffet at breakfast.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
ChicagoFS, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Lom2mom,

I am glad you were able to enjoy your stay, and that you also liked the access to shopping and to the lake our location provided. I am sorry about the double charges for the mini bar items, and I regret any inconveniences it may have caused you. I look forward to welcoming you back, and thank you for your review.

Michele Grosso

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Excellent hotel is located in the center of Chicago. The attention is fantastic, great rooms and the view is incomparable, great bar with unique drinks. Bed and pillows are the best so you can have a good night sleep.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

ChicagoFS, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Jesus M,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted you had an excellent stay and happy to read of the attentive service from staff, and to learn that our hotel’s bed and pillow allowed you to have a good night’s sleep. We look forward to welcoming you back.

connecticut
Reviewed December 14, 2013

This was our first stay in any Four Seasons. I had such high expectations for this vacation that I may have been a little let down by a few irritations.

First of all, we stayed for a week and had a wonderful time in Chicago. The hotel is really well located off of Michigan ave. Also, being attached to a nice shopping mall is really convenient when it's frigid outside and you don't have to put on a jacket to go shopping and get some good food.

The deluxe suite is really spacious and has great views of the city from the 42nd floor. Service was great - everyone smiles and greets you. Room service was pretty tasty. The best part of the hotel is that they cater really well to kids. Every night they had a different complimentary snack. They also gave my son and daughter stuffed animals, shirts and caps.

Indoor pool is nice and the gym is good too.

However, when I drop this kind of money for five star service, I expect a stay that I'll never forget. When I compare this hotel to other great hotels I've stayed at in India, there's no comparison (Check out a Taj, Oberoi or Trident hotel and you'll understand). Some things were very annoying about this hotel. For example, the Concierge was overwhelmed and never returned calls with confirmations about baby sitting, dinner reservations, etc. When we called back, they would put us on hold and not answer or they would tell US to call back later instead. Really annoying!!

At the end of the stay, I tried to have our luggage brought down along with our car from valet parking at the same time and have it loaded. We waited 45 minutes for the bellhop - who came up only after a second phone call to the front desk. When we went down to the front entrance a few minutes later, our luggage was sitting there unattended and the car was no where to be seen!

One last thing - there is no fancy front entrance and it is not fronted by nice four seasons doormen. There are mostly valet parking employees of the private service. Rarely did we get a greeting on returning to the hotel. The most annoying part of the stay was at the front entrance. We had a stroller with my baby daughter so we couldn't use the revolving doors. There's a side door we had to use and open ourselves to roll the stroller through it. Only one time did a "doorman" help us with this.

When it comes down to it, these are all small critiques. But when you spend this kind of money to stay in luxury, you want to be pampered and catered to from the front entrance till your room.

Big, spacious room. Great view of the city. Kid friendly. Nice pool. But are these exclusive to the Four Seasons in Chicago? I doubt it. For the price, I expected much more attention to these other "small" details that would have made our stay unforgettable.

Room Tip: Didn't find wind to be very noisy. Sounds like a far off highway at night.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
ChicagoFS, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear vijayrama,

Thank you so much your review. I am delighted your family had a great stay; however, I am sorry about the various lapses in service and the inconveniences you experienced. We make every effort to provide personal and attentive service in all areas of our business and as always I take your feedback seriously.

I will be happy to oversee any future reservations to ensure you have a flawless experience, and I can be reached directly at 312-649-2300.

Park Ridge, Illinois
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Top notch accommodations for our sister's 50th birthday celebration! The managers helped make the overnight experience spectacular and the receptionist made the reservation process seamless. We stayed in two suites that connected with all of us having plenty of space. The pillows and beds were phenomenal and rooms were very clean. The staff gave us all we had requested, plus more! It was a beautiful place to stay during the holidays-it got all of us in the Christmas spirit! We loved to be able to walk to the mall without having to go outside-which is a huge plus for a group of girls. We are already planning our next girls weekend at the Four Seasons Chicago!

Room Tip: The suites are amazing with spectacular views!!!
Dear Jan C,

I am happy we were able to create a spectacular experience for your sister’s 50th birthday, and I thrilled to read how much you all enjoyed the Suites, amenities and easy access to the shopping mall. I look forward to welcoming you all back for your next girls getaway, and thank you for your review.

New Canaan, Connecticut, USA
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We chose the Four Seasons for a 4-night family trip to Chicago to visit grandma. We have a 2 year old and 4 year old and it was freezing cold so we wanted a place that would be nice, fun and comfortable. We were very pleased with the hotel overall - the kids loved the pool, playroom and daily kids treats delivered to our suite. For those traveling with younger ones, the pool has a jacuzzi (which all the kids were using), regular lap pool with a pretty shallow low end (say 2.5 feet) and they also put out a plastic kiddie pool for babies and toddler but it didnt seem to get much use. My toddler ended up insisting I go in the big pool with her. The playroom was very cute - plenty of options for all ages (play kitchen, wii, ride-on toys, air hockey table and mini foosball, etc.). We booked a suite + an adjoining guestroom and each day the room service department delivered a wonderful treat for the kids - this was a highlight (fondue, cookie decorating, etc.). We used the in-room dining a TON and it was all very tasty!
The location was good - right off Michigan Avenue shopping and attached to a small boutique mall (you can get straight into the mall without going outside which was great for freezing cold weather).
The only issue we had was with requesting a modified invoice at checkout for my husband to submit for his expenses (it was also a business trip for him). They were able to get it done, but it took much longer than I think it should have.
Overall we would definitely stay here again and recommend to anyone with small kids!
Oh and one suggestion - all the kids toiletries they provide have parabens in them - I would love to see a more healthy/current selection (something organic?).

Room Tip: The executive suite has frosted glass doors. It's private and the doors close, but not the same...

Dear Lizzie_in_New_Canaan,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to read how much your family enjoyed your stay, and I am glad the kids loved the pool, playroom and daily treats to their room. I am also happy you took pleasure in the easy access to the shopping mall especially during those very cold winter days.
Please accept my apology for the delayed invoice, and thank you for your suggestion on offering paraben-free kids’ toiletries. I will certainly take this into consideration when we review our amenities. I look forward to welcoming you and your family back.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed December 12, 2013

The Four Seasons was the most luxurious hotel in Chicago, but has been surpassed by the Peninsula.

We were offered an upgrade at check in and poof, we just dropped another $500. The pitch was that we were staying for a week and did we “want to spend the whole week watching TV on the bed”. More on that later.
The hotel is very nice. The location is as good as it gets. Everything you want is located right outside the front door. The lobby is full of incredible art and plenty of seating. The bar is small, but very nice overall. However, I had trouble receiving WIFI which was frustrating. The waitress told me that is common.

Our room was great and at the same time average. The view of Michigan Ave and Oak Street beach was spectacular. Laying in a really comfortable bed with that view is worth big bucks. At the same time, the bathroom was very small. The toilet had a phone on the wall which I knocked over repeatedly every time I got off the toilet. No matter how hard I tried, it fell. On my last day it actually fell into the toilet. I have never experienced this in any hotel. I hoped they wiped it down. The shower was small. It wasn't terrible, but at this price point, and in a suite, it was disappointing overall.

When you stay at a hotel of this caliber for 7 nights, they try and do something a little extra for you. The first night they delivered two free bottles of water. At first, I wasn't sure it was free, but water put in the room for sale. When two more showed up the second night I caught on. The third night they left two apples and a pear. Really? Then every night after it was either two apples and a pear or two pears and an apple. How about some chocolate or a cookie? In my opinion, free fruit doesn't say luxury.

I was confused about how they prepared the room every night by putting down a white bath mat on both sides of the bed. Think of this, they place a white towel, bath mat, on both sides of the bed every night. The message here....you shouldn't put your feet on the floor? If it was a nice, furry or luxurious mat that would be nice. A nice touch. The white towel suggested...dirty...don't put your feet down. I thought this was very strange and somewhat tacky.

This is the part that ruined it for me. I am staying for 7 nights. After shopping for great rate, I fall for the upgrade and drop another $500 because "do you want to watch TV on your bed all week?" Well, Thanksgiving night I wanted to relax and watch the football game. I turn on the TV and the sound doesn't work. The sound worked on the movie channel and all other options, but not for the TV stations. I am embarrassed to say how long I spent trying to figure out what I was doing wrong until I called the front desk. They immediately told me that the sound was not working on any of the TV's in the hotel, but just for TV stations....so rent a movie on us....click. Before I was able to say....I don't want a movie...I want the football game, they had hung up. Long story short, the sound did not come on until the next morning. I tried for hours and at midnight I called the front desk and told them if the sound wasn't working by morning I would check out. No response, no follow up, nothing. I would think they would have done or said something the next day, not a word. Remember, I paid $500 more so I didn't have to "watch TV on my bed all week". Honestly, the sound on the TV doesn't work AT THE FOUR SEASONS. Not good.

Then, the outlet in the bathroom stopped working. I called the front desk and asked they try and fix it while we were out for the day. I stopped by the Concierge and checked up on my way out. When I came back, the outlet still wasn't working. I called down to the front desk and asked of someone had been in the room and was told they would follow up and see. Never heard back. In the morning when we never heard anything, we called again and they had no record of our call or of anyone fixing the outlet. WE HAD TO ASK FOR AN EXTENSION CORD SO MY WIFE COULD DRY HER HAIR. SERIOUSLY...AN EXTENSION CORD AT THE FOUR SEASONS? This brought up to the room right away. The outlet was never fixed. Again, no follow up of any kind.

My wife and I treat ourselves a few times a year and have stayed at other Four Seasons, the Peninsula, and Ritz Carlton etc. This hotel has a lot going for it, great views, lobby, spa, bed etc. However, we spent $3K in one week and had no TV for 24 hours, no outlet for 48 hours and nothing but fruit and water to say thank you for our business. Don't get me started on the extra $500 so I wouldn't have to watch TV on my bed for 7 nights.

When in Chicago again, it's the Peninsula. I would prefer walking a few blocks down Michigan Ave then experience this again.

Room Tip: Views south and east are worth paying for.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

2 Thank m k
Dear m k,

Thank you so much for your review. I am very sorry your stay did not live up to your expectations, and I regret the inconveniences and multiple lapses in service you experienced. This is certainly not the experience we wish our guests to have, and I can assure you I have addressed your concerns and will be sure this does not happen again.

I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you about your stay if you can provide me with a number where you can be reached, or you may also contact me directly at 312.649.2300.

I look forward to hearing from you, and to welcoming you back to Four Seasons Chicago.

Paris, France
Reviewed December 11, 2013

This was the best brunch we have ever had in USA. Not only because of the the excellent food! Nice Xmas decoration, calm ambient and unaffected employees. Everything is just created for spending a unforgettable moments with good friends. Thank You!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Pavel P,

I am glad you were able to join us for Sunday Brunch, and even more thrilled to learn it was the best you have had. I look forward to welcoming you back for another unforgettable experience and thank you for your review.