“5 stars are well deserved”

Four Seasons Hotel Chicago
Ranked #4 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I stayed at the Four Seasons Chicago the week of Thanksgiving 2013 for 3 nights. It was simply the best hotel I've ever stayed in. The service is exceptional. Everyone from the valet to the concierge to the waitstaff in Allium (the restaurant) to housekeeping went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. For instance, the concierge recommended jazz clubs - in fact, she had a printed list of recommended clubs with addresses that she gave us so we could direct the taxi driver.

I had dinner in Allium, and also ordered room service (which I believe was cooked by Allium's chefs, because the room service menu looked similar to Allium's). Everything was delicious. Their cocktails are outstanding too. I had read some negative reviews here on tripadvisor - which, tellingly, constitute an overwhelming minority of the reviews and which also tend to be dated - regarding poor service and/or bad food. Nonsense. The waitstaff were very attentive and courteous. The restaurant itself is warmly decorated, which was nice after spending a day walking around Michigan Ave on a cold November day.

I had also read a tripadvisor review that mentioned creaking noises when it is particularly windy. Again, utter nonsense, in my opinion. I am the LIGHTEST sleeper of anyone I've ever known, and I slept like a baby there. I had absolutely no issues with it, and you should not be concerned either.

If anything, our room and the hotel were TOO comfortable, which made it sometimes difficult for us to motivate ourselves to leave and explore the city...

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
ChicagoFS, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Dear Alex D,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during the Thanksgiving Holiday. I am delighted to learn we are the best hotel you have stayed in and that you enjoyed the comforts of the guest room you did not wish to leave the hotel. I am especially pleased to learn of the impeccable service staff provided to ensure you had a great stay.

I appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back.

Michele Grosso

Write a ReviewReviews (3,134)

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I was forewarned - "Don't expect a Four Seasons in America to be the same as those in Hong Kong or in Asia; don't expect the same level of service or attentive care." Boy was I mislead. If I could only tell people one thing that's excellent at Four Seasons Chicago - and trust me there were many more than just one - it would no doubt be their service.
We arrived at the hotel at 2pm after a 14-hour flight, and at check-in when we were informed that our room would not be ready till 3pm (no early check-in possible), I must admit I was a bit frustrated. However, the smiles and help we were offered from the front desk and concierge staff made all those frustrations and exhaustion disappear. Throughout our 4 days of stay we were offered excellent travelling tips and advice from the concierge. They also helped us confirmed our restaurant reservations in New York, where we were heading to after Chicago. In fact, our reservation at Eleven Madison Park could not be confirmed on the last night of our stay (as the restaurant was closed); the concierge promised to help us call again the day after. I received an email while I waiting for my flight at Chicago O'Hare, from the Four Seasons concierge, telling me that our dinner reservation was confirmed. And at that moment I knew I had to write this review and give it a 5 out of 5. The service was impeccable. The staff were genuine, sincere and helpful. That's what a 5-star hotel is all about.
Minor complaints? An early check in would have been nice. The shower knob was difficult to handle; I would much prefer something simpler. But I guess that's about it. Otherwise, top-notch clean rooms. Free wifi which was very, very important for out-of-town travellers. Free bottled water. Free coffee, tea and apple strudel in the lobby every morning.
Thank you TripAdvisor. You helped me with the perfect hotel choice again.

Room Tip: Chicago winds can be unforgiving, and hence the building sways and it could be quite noisy at night...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travel_harder_now

Dear cowardjai,

I am thrilled to read of the impeccable service from staff, and of the help Concierge provided in preparing for your stay in New York City. I am sorry about the lack of availability at check-in, and of your difficulties with the shower head. I have personally addressed your concerns and will continue to make improvements in those areas.

I appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

This is my 22 year of staying at the FS during the Thanksgiving Holiday. The service continues to out do its self. The staff recognizes you by name and always has a sincere smile. After shopping head to the bar and order a Jack Frost, you can thank me later, great drink. The valet had their hands full with 5 women and all the luggage, they are friendly and efficient. When you are here you do not need or want for anything. Staff anticipates your next move, your mind will turn to jello because they do all the thinking for you. How nice :) The spa staff is friendly and knowledgeable. Great photo opportunity in front of the huge Christmas tree in the lobby. Complimentary hot apple cider in the afternoon and my favorite complimentary tea and coffee in the lobby every morning.

Room Tip: Ask for a Lake Shore Drive view
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear CherylCrownRoyal,

I am delighted to learn you have spent Thanksgiving Holiday with us for the past 22 years, and it is even more rewarding to read that we continue to provide the service you have come to expect. I am glad you enjoyed your stay, staff‘s service and of course the Jack Frost at Allium Bar.

We appreciate your loyalty and feedback, and look forward to welcoming you back next Thanksgiving.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Smooth check in + well appointed and comfortable rooms + impeccable service + great location = fantastic stay. I would say the attention to detail of the service is impressive. The experience starts even before you step in the front door - From the friendly valet staff, to the concierge who would always call you by your name, welcome fruit basket, housekeeping staff who remembers your preferences, amenities in the fitness center, complimentary wifi, privilege discounts and delivery service at the 900 michigan mall, and many more. We will definitely be staying back here the next time we come back to Chicago.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear amysa,

I am delighted you were impressed with our service and attention to details, and glad you had a wonderful stay. I look forward to welcoming you back for another fantastic stay and thank you for your review.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I was very impressed by how amazing the Four Seasons Spa experience was. The service was impeccable. The staff was very welcoming and made sure that my girlfriend and I enjoyed every detail of our experience. I've lived in Chicago for most of my life, but when I visited the Spa at the Four Seasons, I felt like I was on vacation thousands of miles away with all the luxuries one can only dream of...they even brought us champagne which made the experience even more memorable! Whether or not you are planning to stay at the Four Seasons Hotel, I HIGHLY recommend stopping by the spa to treat yourself after a long work week, or to enjoy a romantic and remarkable evening with your significant other.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
ChicagoFS, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Dear Ben R,

I am delighted that you and your girlfriend enjoyed every detail of your experience at the Spa and I am glad we were able to create a memorable experience for both of you.
It is really rewarding to receive such wonderful feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Our family of six stayed at the Four Seasons Chicago for three nights over Thanksgiving 2013 and had a wonderful experience. Everything was as you would expect from a Four Seasons from the welcome at the door, well-maintained and decorated public spaces, cleanliness and comfort of rooms, superlative service from every department in the hotel from room service, engineering, housekeeping, valet, front desk, and spa/pool.
Our children were allowed to select a welcome gift from a treasure chest upon check-in. Our younger children delighted in the pool and playroom which is outfitted with a Wii, foosball, small air hockey table, stuffed animals, television, blocks, play kitchen, games, Barbies and more.
Each afternoon, sweet treats for the children greeted us upon returning to our room and for the adults there was cider and gingerbread cookies on the first floor.
We were within a block of Water Tower and excellent shopping. By car/taxi, Lake Shore Drive is easily accessed. Millennium Park would be a bit of walk and with little ones, we opted for a cab to most places such as the theater district and Museum of Science and Industry though CTA Elevated Train station is about 5 blocks away.
This location could easily be our favorite urban Four Seasons property and we recommend it highly.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank FS_Junkie_with_kids
ChicagoFS, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Dear Jenny C,

We are delighted you chose our hotel for your family’s Thanksgiving stay, and glad we provided the service you have come to expect of us. I thrilled to read how much you all took delight in the various amenities and the easy access to shopping and dining our location provided.

I thank you for your review and look forward to welcoming your family back for another wonderful stay.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Four Seasons Chicago during the middle of November, and everything about it was great, especially the location. It will definitely be our first choice for future Chicago stays.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Mark M,

Thank you for your review. I am glad you had a terrific stay and will also consider us on future visits to the city. We look forward to welcoming you back.