“Loved it!!”

Four Seasons Hotel Chicago
Ranked #4 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed September 9, 2013

This was my first time staying in Chicago and I wanted to stay somewhere nice. My wife and I opted for the Four Seasons Hotel Chicago. What a beautiful hotel. The location was great, right beside shopping and some real nice restaurants. Our room was a lake view room - nice view of Lake Michigan. It was clean and had just the right amount of room. The bathroom ammenites included L'occitane products - what a nice touch! All the poeple we encountered in the hotel were nice and very helpful. Looking forward to returning to Chicago next year and will definitely consider going back to the Four Seasons Hotel!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Michele G, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Mike M,

I appreciate your review and glad you loved our hotel. We hope to welcome you back on a future visit to Chicago.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

The Four Seasons Chicago is the best hotel in the world for dozens and dozens of reasons, but I will confine this review to just a few of them (as experienced on my most recent stay). The staff could not be any more accommodating, friendly or professional; you walk in and everyone goes way out of their way to get you anything you could possibly need and they all seem to thoroughly enjoy their jobs. Secondly, the hotel is in the very best location in Chicago, when staying there you are within walking distance of the best restaurants and shopping anywhere in the world. In addition to the fantastic staff and location; the rooms (at least every room I have stayed in out of about 30) are all very tasteful, up-to-date and very clean. Needless to say my stay was perfect again. They just know how to run a first class, star hotel at the Four Seasons Chicago.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade...if there is one available, they will most likely give it to you.
3  Thank tomraines
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Not sure what to write, this is the best hotel I have stayed at in Chicago. Everything was nearly perfect. The room was very clean and very comfortable. The staff was very professional, friendly, and quick. And location, location, location; the best in Chicago. Don't miss the chocolate martini's in the lounge!

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a corner suite with lake view.
1  Thank DCA2113
Reviewed September 7, 2013

The Four Seasons is definitely worth considering if your due to visit the Windy City. The hotel is very clean and many of the rooms have great views of the lake. We also had a great view of the beach. Vertigo sufferers may find it challenging as the hotel rooms are located higher up the building starting at floor 30 up to floor 46, the lobby however is located on the 7th floor. This means when you enter the building you have to go to immediately up to the 7th floor and then go to a different set of lifts/elevators to get to your room.

The mist off the lake is quite strange and can affect your view but it tends to disappear after a couple of hours.

The location is fantastic as its close to a coupe of shopping centres/malls and various tourist attractions and the staff are friendly and amenable, particularly the guys on the door who are very helpful especially when they know its your first visit to their hotel.

It's pretty good value for money too, we managed to secure a third night in the hotel for free!

The spa area is ok, although the swimming pool was a bit too chilly for me so I spent my time in the jacuzzi instead, even though the bubble jets were not particularly powerful. The spa treatments however were great and helped to make up for the lacklustre jacuzzi.

It's a lovely place to visit and our three days disappeared in a flash.

Room Tip: Definitely worth getting a lakeside/beach view
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I found this hotel to be very clean and had excellent staff. The hotel was in the middle of everything, so park the car and walk everywhere. The staff was always ready to help and when we were low on bath towels a phone call was made and within a few minutes they were at our door.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My family and I had great expectations for the Four Seasons Chicago before we arrived. We had been looking forward all summer long to our first real vacation as a family (i.e., no in-laws) since our kids were born a little more than four years ago. The last few weeks, we'd been eagerly reading the reviews on Trip Advisor and couldn't wait until we could experience all the fabulousness ourselves. Alas, the hotel did not quite live up to the billing.

First, the good:

1. Everything you read on Trip Advisor about the service at the Four Seasons Chicago is spot on. From the bellhops to the front desk to the concierge desk to in-room dining: the hotel delivers top-of-the-line service. A special thanks to Dennis at the front desk for the warm welcome and the toys for our two kids, as well as to Michelle and Karen at the concierge desk for coming thru with reservations at two terrific restaurants. The staff couldn't have been more helpful.

2. There is no question from the moment you enter the hotel that you are surrounded in luxury. The lobby is especially beautiful. I felt like a million bucks every time we walked in. We never got a chance to eat at Allium, but the restaurant looked very nice from the entrance.

3. Location. There is not better place I can think to be in the city than this. Diagonally across from the John Hancock Tower, less than a football field to the American Girl Place, easy walking distance to all the restaurants and liveliness of Rush Street. The location is the number one reason why we chose the Four Seasons Chicago over comparable hotels like the Trump Tower and the Peninsula.

4. Pool/spa. They think of everything here, including swimmy diapers for our 2-year old son, luxurious men's and women's locker rooms, etc. I could have spent hours here had we not actually had stuff to do in the city.

5. The in-room treats for our kids. Every night there was something special for the little ones. Chocolate milk and cookies, gummy bears, cupcakes, etc, not to mention the little bathrobes and the complementary hats and t-shirts. It was a special touch that added to the special feel of the hotel.

Now the not-so-good:

1. I was extremely disappointed in our room assignment. I booked the room in May and specifically asked for a high-floor room with a great view of the city or lake (or both!). I described what a special vacation this was going to be for our young family and how I wanted to awe the kids with spectacular city views from way up high. What did we get instead? A room nearly on their lowest floor with the most boring view out to the west. I was so deflated that it pretty much soured the trip for me.

2. We had to call maintenance to the room a couple of times for things that housekeeping should have caught before they "green-lighted" the room for customers. The first time was for a floor-standing tripod lamp that not only didn't function, but one of the three bulbs in the lamp was broken and dangling out of the light socket. Very tacky. It was the kind of problem you might expect to find at a Ramada Inn, not a Four Seasons. The maintenance tech tried to fix it on the spot, but ultimately had to take the lamp out of the room and replace it with another. The second reason we called maintenance was when our kids (2 and 4 years old), who were standing on the window ledges, discovered that two of the windows were completely unsecured. They lifted the window lever, which was supposed to have been child safety locked with a pull pin, and the window opened right up. WTH!?? They could have tumbled right out of the window if they had lost their balance. My wife and I nearly had heart attacks when we saw this. So let me get this straight: we're on the 36th floor, the hotel knows that a family is arriving with two small children, and THEY DON'T CHECK TO MAKE SURE THAT THE WINDOWS ARE SECURED PROPERLY BEFORE WE ARRIVE??? Ridiculous. Kudos to the maintenance techs for their prompt service and fixing both issues.

We also had to call down to the front desk twice to unlock out minibar. (Another thing housekeeping should have checked before they released the room.) The first time we called was when we left to do some shopping. We came back 2-1/2 hours later to discover that the minibar was still locked. We notified them again just before we left for dinner. It was finally unlocked when we returned several ours later. Details, details.

3. The bed (room 3624). My wife and I slept terribly all three nights. My side of the bed (left) sagged at the edge, which meant that when I slept on my right side I had to fight gravity to keep a perpendicular position. It was very uncomfortable. My wife tried moving to the pull-out sofa, but that was even worse she said.

4. While the hotel was luxurious, the room didn't feel that way. I'm not sure how long ago it was remodeled, but it looked stale, especially the carpeting, which had stains in numerous areas. The furniture also felt cheap and there were walls and nooks that sure could have used an interior designer's touch for lighting, mirrors, artwork.

5. The hairdryer. Imagine the smallest travel hairdryer you can. Now imagine said hairdryer in your bathroom at the Four Seasons Chicago. A disconnect? You betcha, especially at $800+ a night. There is no way a hotel of this caliber shouldn't have a full size hairdryer in every room. Homewood Suites could be their inspiration.

In summary, it was pretty good overall, but fell short of our expectations. For the money we were hoping for great. Our room assignment--and the view from the room--was so deflating to me that we decided to cut the stay short by one night (we stayed three nights instead of the planned four). Would we stay at the Four Seasons Chicago again? Yes, but we might try something different on our next trip just for comparison purposes.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Thomas S
Michele G, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Dear Thomas S.,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently, and we appreciate your feedback. I am pleased to see that you and your family did enjoy aspects of your stay with us, and we will work to address the areas where we did not meet your expectations. Please let me know if I can assist with making a future reservation for you, as we would certainly welcome the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Kind regards,

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed in August . The hotel is in an excellent location off the main shopping and tourist areas. The reception is a little strange as you have to enter one lobby, get a lift to a second lobby and then check in.

The room was amazing and the views of the lake breathtaking.

The concierge was a great help with trips and tours so take the time to ask her advice.

Thank you Four Seasons we can always guarantee a great holiday with you.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed the room, the views and the expertise of our Concierge -- they are amazing at assisting our guests with enjoying the best of Chicago. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Kind regards,