“Well... is a Four Seasons”

Four Seasons Hotel Chicago
Ranked #4 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I spent the night before my fly back to home, place is cool, services is great, some guys quite rude (kind of racist); but as soon as I let know the management they correct it; I love the pace, but still missed outdoor... but great room I had

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Michele G, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Dvoyager1,

Thank you for your review. We are happy you loved our hotel and service. Please accept my apology for your initial impressions. I am pleased they were corrected.

Michele Grosso

Write a ReviewReviews (3,133)

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Four seasons Hotels rarely are disappointing and this hotel was no disappointment. From the valet's to the desk clerk to the maintenance staff, there was little to complain about. The rooms are great and the beds, as always, take you into your own little world.. Loved it

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Michele G, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear Ditjr,

We are thrilled you had a great stay and thank you for your kind comments about our staff. We thank you for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed here for a few days in July. The staff was outstanding - very accomodating and friendly. I did, however, miss the fact that there was no outdoor space. No lounge, pool, patio, etc to enjoy the gorgeous summer weather. Other than that, it was great.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Anne C

Dear Anne C,

We are happy you had a great stay and appreciate your kind comments. I am sorry you were disappointed that we do not have an outdoor space and hope it will not deter you from staying with us in the future.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

As so many of the other reviews have stated, this is a first-rate hotel as far as service goes. Even the guys out front - who were obviously uncomfortable in the hot July weather - were friendly and polite. And, again, as others have said, the rooms and amenities are a good cut above the norm. The Four Seasons name has long been synonymous with excellence and it shines here. The lobby and other common areas are clean, well-appointed, and comfortable. We enjoyed drinks in the bar one night and enjoyed two very good breakfasts in the restaurant. Service in both was impeccable. And, of course, the hotel is steps away from just about anything you want to do in Chicago.

Despite a couple of issues noted below, our room and everything in it was clean, comfortable, and well-maintained. It was also very quiet, which was appreciated by one very light sleeper.

That all said, we experienced what turned out to be something of a disappointment (at least for me). We had booked a Deluxe Lake View Executive Suite, which I was really looking forward to. We lived in Chicago years ago and don't get back to visit that often anymore. I love looking out over the lake when we do. When we checked in, the desk clerk told us that we were eligible for an upgrade to a "residential" suite on the top floor - complete with living room, two full bathrooms, and a separate bedroom. To her credit she did tell us we'd lose our lake view; but she also said we'd have "fantastic" city views. Never ones to turn down an upgrade (and especially on the top floor!) we took it, thinking a magnificent view way up over the Chicago skyline would make up for losing the view of the lake. And, I have to say, the room itself was incredible - I've lived in smaller apartments. Every amenity you could imagine was included, and it was a unique experience for each of us (fussy dressers) to have our very own bathroom. It was also fun to sit on a real, house-sized sofa to watch the news while my wife worked on her computer at a life-sized dining room table for four. Again, one fantastic room.

But, that fantastic view? Uh-uh. We looked out pretty much due West, and as far as I could tell the only building of any distinction between us and Clinton, Iowa was the Waldorf Astoria tower a block away. No city skyline, no nothing. Just a very, very long view of the near and far-west residential areas and 'burbs. And down what I guess might have been Highway 64. Had I seen the view before taking the room, I would have stayed with the lake view suite, no doubt about it.

Another gripe is that we came back from dinner after 9PM on the last night all dressed up and hot and tired from a long trip. We wanted nothing more than to get out of our dress clothes and relax a bit before going to bed. Only problem was housekeeping had just shown up for turn-down service. Huh? It was after 9PM. And as I've noted, this was a BIG room. My feeling on this is turn-down service should occur between 6PM and 8PM. If you can't get it done before 8PM, don't do it. If you feel you must, leave an apologetic voice mail on the guest's phone. But don't make hot, tired travelers either stand around in their dress clothes, or hide out in the bedroom (if they're lucky enough to have one to hide out in) while you do turn-down that late in the evening. That added an unfortunately sour note to what had been to that point a wonderful stay.

Still, all things considered, we couldn't have asked for a better visit to one of our favorite cities. And the Four Seasons played a good part in making it enjoyable. The issues we had aside, we'd stay there again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DCBoomer
Michele G, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear DCBoomer,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am very pleased to read that excellence shines at our hotel, and I am glad you had an enjoyable experience.

In light of this, I am sorry about your disappointment with the room view and the late turndown. Please know that I understand the inconvenience it may have caused you and I hope to make amends on a future visit. You may contact me directly at 312.649.2303.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed at this Four Seasons hotel July 10-12 on a mixed pleasure and business trip in the middle of a jet lagged travel string which encompassed Europe, New York, Chicago, back to New York and the West Coast. Because of the fast pace traveling and the stay at other excellent hotels (with some very bad exceptions noted in my review of Hotel de Paris Monte Carlo), I must say accommodations wise this one simply does not compare to the updated Four Seasons properties in Beverly Hills, Paris, New York and even St Louis. The room that I stayed in was outdated. It had old fashioned Holiday Inn type bathrooms with no separate showers, old carpet and old furniture. The only thing that was new in the room were the TV sets. The corridors are depressing and a cast back to the 1970s. Similarly appointed with old carpeting, no décor and hallways reminiscent of an old sanitarium the ones I have seen end up with a china display cabinet a la 1970s and 1980s old Ritz Carltons which the time forgot. However, whatever this hotel lacks in updates and modern amenities, it more than makes up for in the service department. From check in, check out room service and concierge as well as the lively local bar scene, you are reminded that you are still at a Four Seasons and not in the Holiday Inn. Service is simply outstanding in this hotel where the accommodations are just "blah". I was told by my local friends to try the Peninsula Chicago next time when I am in town which I intend to do. All that being said the concierge staff is exceptional and very accommodating.

arpet are outdated with old furniture, old fashion bathrooms, no floor shower

1  Thank jacques s

Dear jacques s,

I am very pleased to read of the outstanding service staff provided during your stay, and they too appreciate your kind comments.
I am sorry our hotel and room accommodations were not up to your expectations both in quality and style. Please know we take your observations seriously as we continue to enhance our physical product.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Thank you and the entire staff for hosting our recent corporate dinner. From the beautiful ballroom to the amazing food to the outstanding customer service, the Four Seasons Chicago definitely exceeded our expectations. The staff was very accommodating to our needs and it helped us achieve a top-notch, very successful dinner. We look forward to hosting more dinners at the Four Seasons Chicago in years to come.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jamie g

Dear jamie g,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to host your Corporate dinner. It is truly rewarding to receive such valuable comments about the exemplary service staff provided to ensure your successful dinner. They are equally thrilled to know their efforts were recognized.

We appreciate your feedback and we look forward to hosting more of your dinners and to welcoming your entire team back.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Wow!! Of course, it never hurts to have a suite. we had room 3201 and 3327: each a suite with an incredible view of Lake Michigan. The hotel is nestled between Rush and Michigan: right where you want to be. All the restaurants and stores just waiting for you to drain the AMEX and fix the economy. The gym is large and complete. It is available 24/7 which is perfect. The restaurant for breakfast serves top quality food but it is a bit claustrophobic with no view at all. What a shame. The concierge team is top notch and there every day until 11 pm. The showers are a bit small and may take a while figure out all the gizmos. However, unlike most hotels that go from ice age to scalding randomly, the water temperature is steady. Service is a priority. The staff may actually be a team of ninjas: never seen yet perfectly efficient. In essence, the Four Seasons Chicago is akin to The Pierre in NYC.

Room Tip: end of the hall suites have incredible views