“What a great time at the Four Seasons Chicago”

Four Seasons Hotel Chicago
Ranked #4 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We live in the Chicago area so I don't often stay overnight in the city. We had our daughters wedding in the city last weekend and stayed at the Four Seasons as did many of the guests. While the wedding wasn't at the hotel the location on North Micigan Avenue above the high end 900 mall was perfect and I was very impressed with the wide range of room types as we visted our friends and relatives rooms. Every room was in great condition and one great view after another. Our room had a city view and looked down Michigan Avenue from the 35th floor, our son had a double with a lake view that we saw much of the air show from. As expected the service was very good and I appreciated it was not intrusive but present when we wanted it, I used the workout room and it had everything I needed and didn't neeed to bring anything.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed August 22, 2011

We stayed at the Four Season's for a wedding during the Air and Water show. Our room had a great view of the planes which was a nice treat. For the discounted room rate we received I thought the room was great and was happy with our view and the space. One little bit of information I wanted to share was to stop by the front desk and ask for a discounted shopping pass. The hotel is attached to a mall which was perfect for our rainy morning. The discounted shopping pass gives you 15% off almost everything at Bloomingdales including jewelry. I was able to pick up a new pair of David Yurman earrings at 15% off. Thanks Four Season's that made my rainy morning so much better!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Four Seasons Hotel in Chicago for a Friday and Saturday night in August. We had a "superior" room, Which is their basic room. The room size was fine. The carpeting had a large stain between the bed and the dresser. The sink counter had ring marks and blotches that made it appear dirty. Upon touching it, I found that the marks are permanent. Guess, I expected better. We enjoyed our breakfast in the dining area. Overpriced, of course, but excellent. The hotel is in a great location, walking distance to great shopping, restaurants and Holy Name Cathedral. Nice workout room.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for an east facing room?
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
FSChicago, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2011

Dear Wiseone47,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience as we always appreciate hearing from our guests. I am sorry to hear your guest room did not meet your expectations. We renovated our guest rooms in 2007, and since then we continue to make improvements and replacements to various details such as carpeting and furniture. We will make sure to review your room category to ensure we make the necessary improvements. We would love the opportunity to welcome you back and accommodate you in a different room as we have different designs and color schemes. Again, thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

Kind regards,
Denise Flanders

Reviewed August 19, 2011

This hotel was perfect! Nice view of the beach and Hancock tower. Walking distance to all the shopping and dining you want. Hotel staff were excellent. Spa had great service. We did not eat there but those that did enjoyed the food as well. I'll stay again when we are in that area.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Visited Chicago with my wife. When making the reservation, we also ordered a limousine transfer to the hotel from the airport. The guy they sent to the airport for "meet and greet" service did not even bother to respond to a "good afternoon" and a smile - absolutely nothing, not even a nod. Just a blank - and very cold - stare. Upon check-in, they told us that their Michelin-starred fine dining restaurant would be open and they even prentended to make a reservation for us. However, just as we were getting ready for the dinner, they phoned our room and told that this was not true, and that we would have to be content with their casual "bistro". In that bistro, things got even worse: they tried to sit us not in the dining room but in a dark bar area with no table clothes at all, or waiters for that matter, etc., and next to a very loud bunch of guys apparently for a night of hearty binge drinking, and only upon request were we moved to a proper dining area(vwhere service was rather erratic). The housekeeping was dismal or, rather, non-existent - no turndown in the second evening of our stay. We were left with dirty towels on bathroom floors and used wine glasses on tables. When leaving the hotel for airport, the doorman was completely unaware of our airport limousine transfer although it was ordered through the concierge, the porter could not first find our luggage etc., and only with some difficulty and a long wait were we able to get the staff to find our luggage and get it into the trunk. All in all, the staff of this particular establishent was very unfriendly and incompetent and made us feel very unwelcome. (And we tipped everyone well until we saw that it was no good). NEVER AGAIN!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ogh Z
FSChicago, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2011

Dear Guest,

I was disheartened to read about your experience at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago. I would like to have an opportunity to speak with you in hopes that we can take the right steps to restore your confidence in our hotel and welcome you back.

Please feel free to call my office at 312.280.8800.

Reviewed August 11, 2011

I think I had high expectations from the Four Seasons. I came with my girlfriends and had heard from them regarding how wonderful the one in Hawaii was. This was my first stay here. I usually stay at the Drake. The hotel was in a great location downtown and adjoins the mall and Bloomingdales. I think first impression is key. Upon check-in, our room was not ready. This was near 3pm when check-in should be available. Mind you, we just came from a 5 hour flight from San Francisco and had been up since 3am...all we wanted to do was check-in and rest and freshen up. They told us it would be an hour. We ended up wandering the city until they called us at around 5pm. Because of this, I also lost my Tom Ford sunglasses - but that is another story. We finally check-in, no call to see if we were okay in the room, no appologies for the hurrendous delay, no nothing. The room itself was nice with a view and very comfortable. The spa was nice, but had better massages for less. They had fresh orange juice and coffee. Upon check out - I asked for a late check out. They said no. I asked to talk to a manager and reminded them that we had a long delay checking in and the least they can do is accommodate us for a couple more hours. If I didn't pull this card, I probably wouldn't have gotten this extension. I think I just expected more from this hotel and thought that customer service would be the difference and sadly it just didn't live up. I hope others will have a better experience...

Room Tip: Ask for a higher level with street view.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for business in August. I had expectations of a traditional but upscale hotel. I must say I was impressed. The bellman used my name and was very cheerful and helpful after a long day of flight delayed travel. The front desk greeted me with a smile and by name and also had my reservation on the counter when I walked up. He told me I was upgraded to a lake view which I was very happy about. The room was very clean and spacious. The furnishings were classic and comfortable. Our meeting room was very comfortable. The fitness center was very adequate. The staff throughout the hotel were friendly and helpful. And we were close to restaurants, shopping, and the lake. I would stay there again and look forward to it.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business