Four Seasons Hotel Chicago
Ranked #4 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed May 24, 2011

We took our 2 young children to the Four Seasons for a wonderful weekend. The hotel took care of every detail to our family's stay special including chocolate milk and cookies, kids' robes, games and activities and a special bed for our daughter's American Girl doll. There was plenty to do and see near the hotel. We enjoyed the location which is perfect for shopping, dining and sightseeing in Chicago. We also all enjoyed relaxing at the pool after running around all day. We all loved our weekend at the hotel.

Room Tip: Tell the hotel if you are bringing kids.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank jsg684
Write a ReviewReviews (3,126)

Reviewed May 21, 2011

Excellent location, fantastically friendly and efficient staff. The gym and spa are good and the staff there brilliant. I went on business without my husband, from the UK, and was made to feel welcome and that nothing was too much trouble. A very high quality member of FS.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed May 19, 2011

For our short getaway in Chicago, we thought me might try the Peninsula, the Trum or the Four Seasons. In such cases, we always end up in the Four Seasons, and are always gmad we did. This time did not disappoint.

Location is very good, atop the 900 mall, across Michigan Ave from the John Hancock, and 2 blocks from Water Tower. Short walk to anything, really, as we did not realize downtown Chicago was rather compact, and nothing beyond really far. This is a bonus if you want to drop back during the day for a short break or to to refresh.

We took advantage of the Stay Longer promotion, the best value available here, and booked a Deluxe Four Seasons Executive Suite, which is their basic one, requesting a lake view, and the highest available floor.

CHECK-IN was swift. Bell took care of the luggage while I drove my rental car across the street to the Hertz facility. The downstairs lounge is typical FS, just cross it to go to the Lobby on the 7th floor, also typical FS with the usual albeit beautiful flower arrangements. No line at check-in. Attendant took care of us, and accomodated our requests ; indeed, we got a lake view from the 42nd floor.

SUITE 4219 was not small. A better job could have been done furnishing the rather large sitting room. Smaller bedroom with KB, and surprisingly compact marble bathroom. The lot recently refurbished in an understated way of grey tones. Not overjoyful. View was awesome. We loved the seating available along all windows. Although I might be sometimes scared of height, I enjoyed spending some time there, and felt perfectly comfortable.
Luggage turned up a couple of minutes after we were in the room.
They alert a lot about the wind noises. We noticed some squeaking, but honestly it is no big beal, at least to us, even in the small of morning for us jetlagged european.

FOOD : the only food we experienced was breakfast. Even by Four Seasons standards, this one is right up there at the top. It is outstanding value for money : coffee + juice + any egg dish + muffin sets you back $29, a bargain in my view. They have specials (recommend the King crab Benedict, although I only understood why they did not write BenedictS when they brought it : there is only one ... !). But eveyday menu is splendid already. I think we got the best smoked salmon and bagel in our entire life : fabulous salmon is one thing, but pretty standard, but caviar cream made a world of a difference. My mouth waters at the thought only.

CONCIERGE made good recommendations.

HOUSEKEEPING is a bit hit or miss. Some day, they arrange the furniture in a weird way. At turndown, they would not empty the trash cans. Sometime the bath disappears, and comes back the next day. Stationery which we used on day 1 was never replaced. There is lack of consistency, and probably also of supervising here.

We are loyal Four Seasons customer. Usually when there is a Four Seasons, this is where we are going to stay. Over the past 12 months, we spent 14 vacation nights in various properties (Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, Scottsdale, Hampshire UK). And this has been going on for years. We love the locations, the style, the service, the designs, the food, the ambience ; all these have a price tag which I am more than willing to pay around the world (Provence, Maldives, NYC, D.C., Singapore, Langkawi, ...), the highest in the industry. We know that we will not be disappointed. And nevertheless, we tend to be : there is no recognition of loyalty, whatsoever.
Stinginess ? Probably ... Each time, there is just one set of toiIetries that we have to share between the shower stall and the bath tub. Plenty more come up when we ask for them, but this should not happen, or at least this should be in our profile -which we always use when booking. In Chicago, we never had some welcome fruit, any fresh flowers, not even a bottle of water by the bed any given night. Come on guys, should you take for granted that we stay with you ???
But one thing really goes on my nerves, which we experienced in L.A. and again in Chicago : being offered an upgrade for a fee. The desk attendant made it clear what a bargain $250 were to upgrade to a One-bedroom Suite, saving me $300 or so. First of all, I can book beforehand what I feel like staying in, and they make me feel cheap. Furthermore I am getting sick of the big dollard hunt Four Seasons are now practising. I feel that if there are availabilities, they should comp the loyal customers. Or shut the hell up !
This will not, not yet at least, prevent me from staying at other FS properties. I already have a set of bookings for next summer. But im my opinion, what is obvious company policy should be mellowed towards making the customers valued. Which is a concept they were better at some years ago.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PASCAL H
Reviewed May 14, 2011

This Four Seasons really lives up to its name. Everything there made my stay very comfortable and pleasant. Highly recommended

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed May 13, 2011

We stayed here 4 nights. The hotel itself is very understated from the outside and in fact is not very noticeable. However the lobby is grand, clean and with high end finishes and furniture. The staff is outstanding including the doormen, conceirge etc.

My kids were treated exceptionally well. The pool was fantastic as was the spa which my wife used, the locker rooms and the other public areas. We stayed in a one bedroom suite with a corner view which was amazing. The room was clean, spacious and had extras that you would not find in other hotels.

It is a very kid friendly hotel. Each evening they were sent up an edible treat by room service. We also took advantage of the "ice cream Man" (there is a charge) and "story book man".

Overall...our stay was very memorable and i would highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank ashah7
Reviewed May 9, 2011

I had a terrific 5 night stay with my wife and 3 kids (ages 9, 7 and 5). We booked an executive suite with 2 double beds; upon arrival to our room on the 41st floor I was struck by the amazing view... Lake Michigan and the Hancock Building right across the street.
The room was spacious and comfortable; the bathroom was of very good size (the shower's water pressure was AMAZING!). Room service and housekeeping was fast and corteous... always.
My children received a treat every single day. As soon as we left the room for the day they were looking forward to the afternoon/ evening to see what was awaiting for them at the room; something different every single day. The FS is an upscale venue but extremely kid friendly.
The swimming pool is amazing, we enjoyed it one night. And the easy access to 900 Michigan shops is like icing on the cake.
I must say that the concierge staff was amazing. Karen made a difference in our stay. The entire concierge staff really went out of their way to make us feel right at home.
It has only been 2 weeks since we came back and my kids ask me to go back... better yet, beg me... every single day!

Room Tip: Splurge on a lakeview room!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Disfan
Reviewed May 4, 2011

I am a consistent Four Seasons customer and have rarely been let down by the standards that Mr Sharp has so keenly held.
This is just one more sublime holiday in a wonderful setting ... that being the Four Seasons Chicago.
Everyone was kind and efficient . Furthermore, I never felt like anyone had their hand in my pocket like you feel at other five star hotels.
We are planted firmly in the Four Seasons lifestyle . Witness.. we own a timeshare at Aviara and are members of the Sports Club at the Four Seasons, Irving,Texas.
Thanks for keeping the quality something that we can depend on throughout the world.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo